Thanks Thanks:  83
Likes Likes:  632
Page 32 of 86 FirstFirst ... 22232425262728293031323334353637383940414282 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: 2020 Player movement

Quote Originally Posted by Happy Days View Post
    Josh Bruce didn’t kick 6 on Goldstein.
    Nah but English used his head to wash the deck of the HMAS Bulldogs
    But then again, I'm an Internet poster and Bevo is a premiership coach so draw your own conclusions.

2. Likes bornadog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 1eyedog View Post
    You keep mentioning him and initially had him in your potential starting 22 for 2021 thread. Are we likely to go hard at him? Is he likely to nominate us?
    AFL.com think O'Halloran's decision may depend on what Caldwell does. GWS probably won't want to lose Hately, Caldwell and O'Halloran.

JYE CALDWELL

Has shown glimpses of his potential that prompted the Giants to select him at No.11 in the star-studded 2018 NAB AFL Draft. Now he's got a decision to make on his future. Caldwell has always been the Giants' highest priority midfield signing (over Jackson Hately and Xavier O'Halloran) and they've now increased their offer to four years. St Kilda has had interest for some time and Brett Ratten flagged the need for extra midfield depth when speaking after Friday night's semi-final exit. The 20-year-old would suit a number of clubs, including Essendon and Hawthorn, too.

XAVIER O'HALLORAN

The market for midfielders is stacked this year so the Victorian is sitting back waiting for things to unfold elsewhere before making a call. Giants teammate Jackson Hately has selected Adelaide and fellow 2018 first-round draftee Jye Caldwell is undecided on his future. Should Caldwell join Hately out the door, then O'Halloran will receive more opportunities in the Giants midfield. He broke through for two games in 2020 and there will be interest in his home state should he seek a new home.
    Trade Period state of play: Who's going, who's undecided

4. Thanks 1eyedog thanked for this post
    Likes GVGjr liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Essendon now chasing De Goey - I guess they want to bring in some better culture.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

6. Likes azabob, hujsh, Topdog, 1eyedog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    Essendon now chasing De Goey - I guess they want to bring in some better culture.
    Jeez, De Goey and Stringer together. That’d be a heap of bad tatts, a couple of match winning performances and a lot of games where they both go missing.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 1eyedog View Post
    You keep mentioning him and initially had him in your potential starting 22 for 2021 thread. Are we likely to go hard at him? Is he likely to nominate us?
    I think he would have some interest in playing for us given his ties to the club.
    I'm not sure we will be that active in trading despite Bevo's comments after the elimination final loss might indicate and we might only look for one mid and one KP player. It's going to be where Sam Power really earns his keep juggling points required for Ugle-Hagan and trying to land someone like O'Halloran and a KP player.
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

9. Thanks 1eyedog thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post
    I think he would have some interest in playing for us given his ties to the club.
    I'm not sure we will be that active in trading despite Bevo's comments after the elimination final loss might indicate and we might only look for one mid and one KP player. It's going to be where Sam Power really earns his keep juggling points required for Ugle-Hagan and trying to land someone like O'Halloran and a KP player.
    Is there any concern we overpaid some players post 2016? It would be understandable for players like JJ, Wood and others to have got big contracts at the time. In my view our list is inferior to most and others seem to have endless cap space to bring in players each off season.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    I like this news. Shows that they aren't really genuine in changing the culture down there and their downward path will continue.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bulldogsthru&thru View Post
    I like this news. Shows that they aren't really genuine in changing the culture down there and their downward path will continue.
    BTW, Carlton have no interest in him

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by dog town View Post
    Is there any concern we overpaid some players post 2016? It would be understandable for players like JJ, Wood and others to have got big contracts at the time. In my view our list is inferior to most and others seem to have endless cap space to bring in players each off season.
    At the time we probably had a few clubs coming for our players and it was the right thing to do.
    I'm not sure we have a cap issue but we just don't have the capacity to overpay players and really chase the higher paid guys
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post
    At the time we probably had a few clubs coming for our players and it was the right thing to do.
    I'm not sure we have a cap issue but we just don't have the capacity to overpay players and really chase the higher paid guys
    We picked up Trengove as a FA and made offers to Wingard and Martin so I'd say we have space.

Bruce and Keath are on healthy deals and there didn't seem to be any cap space concern this time last year. Given Trengove is unlikely to stay on and Wood would have surely signed on a contract reduction I think we'd still have plenty of space, although Bailey Smith is in line for a hefty payrise.
    Western Bulldogs: 2016 Premiers

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by dog town View Post
    We have done well making the finals the last 2 years then with a list that is worse than most! Strange view.

JJ is the obvious one that is arguably being overpaid relative to his output over the past few seasons. Wood had a fairly large contract but that is now done and one would assume his new contract would be on reduced terms. I don't think we are lumbered with too many overblown contracts compared to many other lists.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bulldogsthru&thru View Post
    Its a media strategy to neutralise all the negativity - if they attract De Goey then it takes the heat off Saad, Daniher and Fantasia wanting out

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Axe Man View Post
    We have done well making the finals the last 2 years then with a list that is worse than most! Strange view.

JJ is the obvious one that is arguably being overpaid relative to his output over the past few seasons. Wood had a fairly large contract but that is now done and one would assume his new contract would be on reduced terms. I don't think we are lumbered with too many overblown contracts compared to many other lists.
    We have done very well I would have thought.

If you look at match ups analytically every week as I do there wasn’t many weeks where I thought we have a team covered for overall talent. Bevo manufactures lots of wins because he is elite but I would argue there is some teams with 5/6 forwards and backs who would be ranked 1st or 2nd for us in those areas of the ground.

18. Likes azabob, jeemak liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The Underdog View Post
    Jeez, De Goey and Stringer together. That’d be a heap of bad tatts, a couple of match winning performances and a lot of games where they both go missing.
    You may be confusing De Goey with someone else because he doesnt really go missing at all. Injury prone though

Post Thanks / Like

Pruess to GWS