Thanks Thanks:  83
Likes Likes:  632
Page 41 of 86 FirstFirst ... 313233343536373839404142434445464748495051 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: 2020 Player movement

I UTTERLY agree. Tom Lynch to tigers too don't forget.

But the entire league gets itself all hysterical because we're gonna get JUH.
    So wound up they're gonna ditch the entire program.

And we are at least gonna have to cough up 'draft points' for him. He's not free, and WE have to pay for him.

Lynch walks to the tigers and straight into a custom made nicely fitting premiership, and the teams at the bottom of the ladder all take a little kick down the draft order for Richmond. THIS I hate.

Quote Originally Posted by Axe Man View Post
    * to Geelong.

Cats could win a flag and then add Jeremy Cameron! The 2019 Coleman winner to join the 2020 Coleman winner. System is broken.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The Bulldogs Bite View Post
    Another reason to hate Geelong.

It's amazing, just when you think TBB couldn't hate these handbagging wankers any more they go and convince Cameron of ALL players to join them!

Whenever this cliff comes for Geelong, it's going to be a good 5-10 years of bottom 8 finishes.
    Don't forget they have 3 first round selections in this draft thanks to the Tim Kelly trade last year
    "Look at me mate. Look at me. I'm flyin'"

Post Thanks / Like

Channel 9 reportedly saying that Orazio Fantasia has nominated Port.

Post Thanks / Like

The perennial chokers recruit the perennial choker. Perfect. I almost wish they could select him for the weekend.
    BORDERLINE FLYING

5. Thanks The Bulldogs Bite thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Agree RS. Have mentioned before I used to like Cats when Bartel, Enright & a few others played for them. IMO they have become very unlikeable and arrogant in recent years. Recruitment of “Mr Snide” from GWS will make them more unlikeable & no doubt he will go missing again in big games just like he did in our glorious 2016 prelim. Totally suited for each other and I hope Geelong have to pay a fair bit to get him without our first round pick being pushed back.

Post Thanks / Like

Free agency a disaster of the AFL's making

https://www.smh.com.au/sport/afl/fre...19-p566lc.html
    The fight is here; I need ammunition, not a ride.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Dry Rot View Post
    Free agency a disaster of the AFL's making

https://www.smh.com.au/sport/afl/fre...19-p566lc.html
    Its hard to argue. Seriously what player is going to choose North Melbourne? Basically they are excluded from free agency for all intents and purposes whilst the biggest sides attract the game changing talent. I'm fine with free agency in principle. But nominating clubs in such a small pool of teams what else would you expect? Has to be removed. Cameron goes to the highest bidder or stays.
    Another thing not mentioned in that article (its a little light for substance tbh) is what I call the sh1t tax. The percentage above the big clubs the less attractive have to pay.
    Polec is a great example, North paid a 20 percent loading, the sh1t tax, to get him and look how thats turned out. I'm sure their offers to Martin and Kelly were well over others and they still couldn't attract them.
    Sh1t tax.

9. Likes jeemak, Dry Rot, Topdog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

The PA thought it would provide for the middle of the road players allowing them to get to a club that would value their services but like a lot of things in life it essentially just favoured the top end players and clubs.

Still, if clubs can turn around how they are perceived they can attract good players
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post
    The PA thought it would provide for the middle of the road players allowing them to get to a club that would value their services but like a lot of things in life it essentially just favoured the top end players and clubs.

Still, if clubs can turn around how they are perceived they can attract good players
    I wonder if they truly believed that.

More and more "stars" of the game are getting more and more of the salary cap and the middle road players are getting less and less.

AFL is becoming like Tennis in wealth distribution.
    More of an In Bruges guy?

12. Likes Sedat liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by azabob View Post

More and more "stars" of the game are getting more and more of the salary cap and the middle road players are getting less and less.

Yeah, tend to think that this is all by design and the only reason the AFL flipped out over Franklin was because it was GWS that was jilted.

The big clubs, the PA and the AFL wouldn't have signed up to this if the big clubs and the big players weren't disproportionately advantaged in some way.
    Nobody's looking for a puppeteer in today's wintry economic climate.

14. Likes Sedat liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post

I agree, although the time it takes to turn it around can be far too long under the current system.
    Do we expect North to be challenging again in the next few years? The Crows similarly. They have been destroyed by player exodus (prior to collective minds), Freo lost Neale, Hill etc. These are sides that are consistently not making September. Onus is on the clubs to make themselves attractive for sure, but for historically weaker teams and those struggling since free agency it's a tough sell.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The Adelaide Connection View Post
    Channel 9 reportedly saying that Orazio Fantasia has nominated Port.
    Fantasia would only just scrape into their best 22 in the rare moments he is fit. Quite the Figjam too by all accounts.
    Western Bulldogs: 2016 Premiers

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by soupaman View Post
    So Cameron going to Geelong surely tightens up their cap. I'm assuming this is why someone like Parfitt is out of contract. We should be looking to capitalise on that, he is basically the player McLean has been trying to emulate with almost zero success for 3 years now.
    Gary Ablett & Harry Taylor will both retire. Selwood & Hawkins coming off huge contracts. They can make it work for Cameron, and Higgins probably won't be on any more than AFL average.
    It may squeeze out kids who want more opportunity and are coming out of their 2-year rookie contract though e.g. Jordan Clark, Charlie Constable.
    Western Bulldogs: 2016 Premiers

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by azabob View Post

They represent all players not just the top end talent so you would hope whatever model they used would be focused on serving the majority of the players

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mofra View Post
    Gary Ablett & Harry Taylor will both retire. Selwood & Hawkins coming off huge contracts. They can make it work for Cameron, and Higgins probably won't be on any more than AFL average.
    It may squeeze out kids who want more opportunity and are coming out of their 2-year rookie contract though e.g. Jordan Clark, Charlie Constable.
    And there is the challenge for clubs to pry the likes of Clark and Constable from the Cats

20. Likes DOG GOD liked this post