Thanks Thanks:  83
Likes Likes:  632
Page 42 of 86 FirstFirst ... 323334353637383940414243444546474849505152 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: 2020 Player movement

It’s an uphill battle for the smaller clubs. You have the big clubs getting the blockbuster fixtures which leads to more money and larger attendances which then leads to getting the big name free agents. It’s extremely difficult for the smaller clubs to play catch-up in this environment. Although there is one way, like say, oh I don’t know winning a premiership....

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bulldogsthru&thru View Post
    It’s an uphill battle for the smaller clubs. You have the big clubs getting the blockbuster fixtures which leads to more money and larger attendances which then leads to getting the big name free agents. It’s extremely difficult for the smaller clubs to play catch-up in this environment. Although there is one way, like say, oh I don’t know winning a premiership....
    We need to find a point of difference to bridge the gap. Brilliant club rooms, a leading medical department, a great culture and a winning and successful environment are all thing that will attract quality players.

Had we followed through after 2016 with strong performances in the following 2 years we could have very well been a club that more players wanted to come to.
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

3. Likes bulldogsthru&thru, azabob liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post
    We need to find a point of difference to bridge the gap. Brilliant club rooms, a leading medical department, a great culture and a winning and successful environment are all thing that will attract quality players.

Had we followed through after 2016 with strong performances in the following 2 years we could have very well been a club that more players wanted to come to.
    We really have nobody to blame but ourselves with this bolded point.

Playing the sympathy card won't work - we had an opportunity to capitalise and turn our club into a genuine power club and we absolutely failed miserably after 2016.

That's why I was so scathing in 2017 and even 2018. We literally had the football world in the palm of our hands, it was practically crying out for a new power club and the 2016 fairytale captured the attention of even non football followers. Winning Premierships is bloody HARD, but had we followed up the flag with some top 4 finishes we would have been the envy of many.

It still sits sour with me that we completely shat the bed as a whole club after that.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The Bulldogs Bite View Post

Playing the sympathy card won't work - we had an opportunity to capitalise and turn our club into a genuine power club and we absolutely failed miserably after 2016.

That's why I was so scathing in 2017 and even 2018. We literally had the football world in the palm of our hands, it was practically crying out for a new power club and the 2016 fairytale captured the attention of even non football followers. Winning Premierships is bloody HARD, but had we followed up the flag with some top 4 finishes we would have been the envy of many.

It still sits sour with me that we completely shat the bed as a whole club after that.
    Yeah as amazing as the achievement of the 2016 premiership was, the aftermath has been as much a failure. We really did not handle the success well at all.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bulldogsthru&thru View Post
    Yeah as amazing as the achievement of the 2016 premiership was, the aftermath has been as much a failure. We really did not handle the success well at all.
    We have done extremely well as a club off field and have never been better financially. This has allowed us to stay strong during the pandemic, and we are around top 3/4 financially.

As for on field, yes it would have been nice to continue strongly, but we have had to virtually have a mini rebuild after the departure of some 11 premiership players to either retirement or moving to another club. Of those 11 only 4 are playing AFL today and I would only have Hamling back. We are all disappointed, but no use dwelling on it.

We are also about to embark on another renovation of the ground with a plan to spend $45 million - failures can't do that.

I am still confident we can build on the core of exciting players we have at the club with the edition of a couple of players in areas we are lacking in.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

7. Likes dadsgirl16, Smads57 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Agree 100% and for some of us this isn't being wise after the event.
    There weren't many of us in 2017 who weren't happy to have a gap year and you were certainly one that was calling that out.
    As you rightly point out, regaining momentum is a very hard thing to achieve and the teams like Richmond who fronted up in the following seasons and were prepared to build on their long awaited success rather than being content with that achievement have reaped the rewards. 4 years later and we haven't got a finals win to show for it.

We just need to take that step forward and we can become a stronger club. If our on field performances can match our off field efforts we will be a destination club.

9. Likes The Bulldogs Bite, Sedat liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

And there is the challenge for clubs to pry the likes of Clark and Constable from the Cats
    Perfect time to do to the Cats what they to do the lower clubs and pick the eyes out of their talent. They can't have a heap of funds left to keep all their players. Understanding we have to pay the shit club tax and pay overs but we need to be ruthless as nothing to lose. It also makes the Cats pay more if they want to keep them.

11. Likes Dry Rot liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Agree 100% and for some of us this isn't being wise after the event.
    There weren't many of us in 2017 who weren't happy to have a gap year and you were certainly one that was calling that out.
    As you rightly point out, regaining momentum is a very hard thing to achieve and the teams like Richmond who fronted up in the following seasons and were prepared to build on their long awaited success rather than being content with that achievement have reaped the rewards. 4 years later and we haven't got a finals win to show for it.

We just need to take that step forward and we can become a stronger club. If our on field performances can match our off field efforts we will be a destination club.
    Geelong are about to play in a GF but they are currently working their backsides off behind the scenes to improve their squad for 2021. They also improved their draft hand 12 months prior after losing Kelly, and that was in a season that they almost beat the eventual premier in a PF.

I don't think there are too many Adelaide fans watching the replays of their stunning 1997 and 1998 GF's today - I hope we aren't going down the same path after our 2016 triumph. I hope the penny has finally dropped and we are leaving absolutely no stone unturned to make our list better and more competitive for a sustained tilt at top 4 and more premiership opportunities, because it is obvious that we haven't done anywhere near enough in the last 4 off-season to do so.

If we have courage of our convictions, we should be approaching 2021 as nothing but a failed season if we do not finish top 4 and make the PF. We are capable of doing so and we should be doing absolutely everything possible to make it happen.

Trading on the achievements of 2016 doesn't cut it anymore.
    "Look at me mate. Look at me. I'm flyin'"

13. Likes The bulldog tragician, Dry Rot liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I don't think it's that cut and dry. You can't discount some of the circumstances with personnel and what made them perform sub-optimally, you can't discount some of the losses from the list due to misfortune. I'll never excuse some of the attitudes post the grand final victory but it's only a part of the story, and sometimes one that takes too much of the focus. Overall the club has performed admirably off field.

Still, I guess the point is the benchmark for us to compete with the bigger more favoured clubs in attracting marquee personnel is so high that the chances of meeting the criteria are extremely slim. That's the thing about systemic disadvantage, whether it be in society generally or in sporting codes like the AFL.

The club continues to make honest attempts to attract really good players post 2016 and I have very little doubt they're targeting players of need much like we did in 2019. I'm not saying the club hasn't made mistakes but I struggle to imagine us landing top tier talent unless we have an almost meticulous record of perfection over a long period of time.
    Nobody's looking for a puppeteer in today's wintry economic climate.

Post Thanks / Like

Parfitt has reportedly re-signed with Geelong with GWS interested in Simpson and Ratugolea. Freo interested in Jordan Clark and Cockatoo heading to Brisbane. Cats will have a truck load of picks (including the Tim Kelly picks from last year) to deal for Cameron if GWS force a trade.

16. Thanks bornadog thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jeemak View Post
    I don't think it's that cut and dry. You can't discount some of the circumstances with personnel and what made them perform sub-optimally, you can't discount some of the losses from the list due to misfortune. I'll never excuse some of the attitudes post the grand final victory but it's only a part of the story, and sometimes one that takes too much of the focus. Overall the club has performed admirably off field.

Still, I guess the point is the benchmark for us to compete with the bigger more favoured clubs in attracting marquee personnel is so high that the chances of meeting the criteria are extremely slim. That's the thing about systemic disadvantage, whether it be in society generally or in sporting codes like the AFL.

The club continues to make honest attempts to attract really good players post 2016 and I have very little doubt they're targeting players of need much like we did in 2019. I'm not saying the club hasn't made mistakes but I struggle to imagine us landing top tier talent unless we have an almost meticulous record of perfection over a long period of time.
    I'm sure that there are some plausible reasons for the decline but the 'rebuild' being offered up is well off the mark is just a convient excuse and we've been exceptionally good at offering excuses since 2016.
    If you do want to look into this further and as an example we had players being bullied by others and not much being done about it and I think it was a real culture killer but there would certainly be other issues as well
    I hope as a club we have stared right into why we couldn't go on with it.

18. Likes Sedat liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Axe Man View Post
    Parfitt has reportedly re-signed with Geelong with GWS interested in Simpson and Ratugolea. Freo interested in Jordan Clark and Cockatoo heading to Brisbane. Cats will have a truck load of picks (including the Tim Kelly picks from last year) to deal for Cameron if GWS force a trade.
    They've done well to get so many things happening. Into a GF and they've got deals simmering away. They will hit trade week with a distinct plan

I'm sure we will as well but we are still waiting to hear of some departures.

Post Thanks / Like

They've done well to get so many things happening. Into a GF and they've got deals simmering away. They will hit trade week with a distinct plan

I'm sure we will as well but we are still waiting to hear of some departures.
    We just don't have the same fluidity of movement the Cats do, i believe it's pointless comparing. When you've got guys wanting to come to your club its a lot easier to get the wheels in motion with other deals, their whole operation just rolls on year after year with the benefit of Moggs creek, AFL gifts like pick 19 to get Ablett, the greatest fixture advantage in the AFL etc...
    Im totally jack of the joint to be honest as are every other fair minded AFL fan I know. We have to wait for a few scraps to come our way after every one else has had a bite and then we may be able to slowly force our trade gears into action. We've smashed it out of the park off field, won a flag, been as good as most on field for the last 5 years and we are still unattractive. It's very frustrating. Odds on Josh Kelly will get to the Hawks, Tigers or Cats somehow.

OK I feel better now.
    Go Tiges.

21. Likes GVGjr liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    We have done extremely well as a club off field and have never been better financially. This has allowed us to stay strong during the pandemic, and we are around top 3/4 financially.

As for on field, yes it would have been nice to continue strongly, but we have had to virtually have a mini rebuild after the departure of some 11 premiership players to either retirement or moving to another club. Of those 11 only 4 are playing AFL today and I would only have Hamling back. We are all disappointed, but no use dwelling on it.

We are also about to embark on another renovation of the ground with a plan to spend $45 million - failures can't do that.

I am still confident we can build on the core of exciting players we have at the club with the edition of a couple of players in areas we are lacking in.
    I don't think anyone is suggesting the club is a failure. What we failed in is continuing the on field success after a premiership. The influence of the premiership on off field success is too difficult to determine. We were already headed in a positive direction prior to the flag so who knows how much the premiership influenced where we currently stand.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Grantysghost View Post
    We just don't have the same fluidity of movement the Cats do, i believe it's pointless comparing. When you've got guys wanting to come to your club its a lot easier to get the wheels in motion with other deals, their whole operation just rolls on year after year with the benefit of Moggs creek, AFL gifts like pick 19 to get Ablett, the greatest fixture advantage in the AFL etc...
    Im totally jack of the joint to be honest as are every other fair minded AFL fan I know. We have to wait for a few scraps to come our way after every one else has had a bite and then we may be able to slowly force our trade gears into action. We've smashed it out of the park off field, won a flag, been as good as most on field for the last 5 years and we are still unattractive. It's very frustrating. Odds on Josh Kelly will get to the Hawks, Tigers or Cats somehow.

OK I feel better now.
    Go Tiges.
    So what is the main driver for players to go to these same teams? Is it playing in front of large crowds? Money? Culture? Success? I mean why the hell is it always the same teams. I was astonished that we couldn't attract any notable players following our premiership. That surely rules out success as a driver. Even the damn Saints and Dees have better luck getting players in. North do too but they typically recruit the players noone wants a bar of.