Thanks Thanks:  83
Likes Likes:  632
Page 1 of 86 123456789101151 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

2020 Player movement

McCarthy Still only 25 years old, The club told him he wasn't going to be given a new contract for next year, so they both came to an agreement that he can leave now.

McCarthy has kicked 99 goals in his 70 AFL games to date, including 49 games for Fremantle and 21 for GWS, where he was traded from in 2016.

Any interest?
    Last edited by bornadog; 28-08-2020 at 03:01 PM. Reason: add in player name as thread title changed
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: McCarthy has Departed Freo - Any interest?

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    Still only 25 years old, The club told him he wasn't going to be given a new contract for next year, so they both came to an agreement that he can leave now.

McCarthy has kicked 99 goals in his 70 AFL games to date, including 49 games for Fremantle and 21 for GWS, where he was traded from in 2016.

Any interest?
    Not for me but I can understand why he might find a few clubs interested. He seems to be a talented but very distracted player.
    He wanted to be allowed to return home to WA because he was homesick that just happened to coincide with a bigger contract offer.
    He would have to be be mighty convincing that he wanted to come to Victoria for the right reasons
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

Post Thanks / Like

That would be a no from me.
    "Its always good to win the Ashes test match'' - Libba, AFL Grand Final, 2016

Post Thanks / Like

A hard no.

McCarthy is another example how hard it is to play a role as a 3rd tall forward or lead up forward.

Him, Harry Himmelberg and Josh Schache are all examples of this.

Highly talented but just cannot put it together consistently.
    More of an In Bruges guy?

Post Thanks / Like

Thought he was going to be a star.

Such a pity to see another wasted talent. I wonder what went wrong for him.

I hope he gets it together and gets another chance.
    Listening to Brahm's 3rd Racket

Post Thanks / Like

Given the whispers about Hamling wanting out too, Fremantle seem in a weird position. Their kids seem to be playing and developing well and Luke Ryan has become a bonafide star.

With JUH on board next year, I'm a no.
    Western Bulldogs: 2016 Premiers

Post Thanks / Like

Sat out an entire season after not getting the trade he wanted. Now quits after not getting an extension after a year he’s only played one match.

Sounds like a child. Would be very surprised if he gets another chance somewhere.

Post Thanks / Like

I thought he was told by Freo he will not be with club next year. And then they came to mutual agreement on immediate departure. As such he can now openly choose to explore opportunities elsewhere and skip last 5 games including having to travel in hubs. If this was an equivalent work situation I think I would do the same.

It could be he is not physical enough on field (I do not watch Freo play much so cannot judge), unprofessional or a sook or all of these. Without knowing the facts I would give him benefit of doubt. Smart clubs will do their due diligence and grill for reasons. He could be a good pickup.

With Hamling leaving too (albeit different reasons) maybe Freo are happy to start a clean out early?

I hope McCarthy gets another chance. Unlikely we need him or that he would want to join us given Schache cannot crack into side, Naughton and Bruce seem set and Jamara on his way.

Has McCarthy ever been tried as a KPD? Does he have attributes such that he do a Jones or Moore? Would he be willing to try?

9. Likes bornadog, jeemak liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Is Hamling leaving Josie? There is speculation that he isn't happy with his recovery from injury but I'm not sure he is wanting to leave the West
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

Post Thanks / Like

I thought I read somewhere he was very unhappy with medical treatment of his ankle and he and club had parted ways. Will try and find article.

Post Thanks / Like

I kind of get the immediate departure in these circumstances. Why would you want to have to hub if there's no chance you'll get a game?

Having said that there is zero interest from me.
    - I'm a visionary - Only here to confirm my biases -

Post Thanks / Like

You are right Gvgjr- Hamling disgruntled, has not left club. Last news I can find was 14 Aug and at that date he had option to move to hub with Freo or go to Melb for surgery with Young (who does a lot of dog operations- probably other vic clubs too). Innuendo was if he takes latter option he most likely wants out. Contracted until 2023-not that contracts mean much nowadays.

Post Thanks / Like

Tom Morris said yesterday Hamling not very happy with Freo. No mention of wanting to leave.
    Listening to Brahm's 3rd Racket

Post Thanks / Like

No to McCarthy
    Unfulfilled talent , but the AFL isn’t for everyone

Post Thanks / Like

A no for me re: McCarthy. If we can somehow get an established key back for next year definitely interested.