Thanks Thanks:  83
Likes Likes:  632
Page 28 of 86 FirstFirst ... 18192021222324252627282930313233343536373878 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: 2020 Player movement

Quote Originally Posted by bulldogsthru&thru View Post
    It's not just Dodoro. It's the entire pro-essendon media.

This from Jon Ralph on twitter:

"A glass half full way of looking at it for Essendon fans if Daniher joins Saad in leaving. You play hard ball and demand pick 7 or he's not leaving. You get a first-round compo pick for Daniher. You end up with picks 6, 7 and 8, which will only be shuffled back a pick or two"
    They've clearly got metrics indicating that being Bomber protagonists generates clicks.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Grantysghost View Post
    They've clearly got metrics indicating that being Bomber protagonists generates clicks.
    The best bit about the bombers getting draft picks now is that they will still be shit for at least 4 more years. this draft in particular isn't a good one to base your rebuild on.

No doubt the bombers will win the trade premiership again. love it.

3. Likes The Adelaide Connection liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mjp View Post
    We can poke all the fun at Dodoro we want, but he is RIGHT.

Saad is NOT a free-agent.

Essendon gave up significant capital to attract him - and, based on his comments at the time, made a reasonable commitment to his family etc to support him as an Islamic player participating in elite level sport. I don't know what Carlton's first pick is, but Essendon should be asking for it.

I am a bit scorched earth when it comes to this I know but the rules are there to support the clubs AND the players...not just the Players. Saad is NOT a free-agent...if he wants to nominate his club, then that club needs to be prepared to deal. And if I was Essendon, I would be saying the Carlton (and Adam Saad) that I understand his point of view, but he is a required player and it is their first round pick AS IT STANDS TODAY (no trading down to pick 18 and saying "This is our first round pick") or he is an Essendon player...and if he wants to sit out of footy for 12-months, fine, we can revisit the conversation in 12-months time...enjoy your job doing whatever the heck it is you do when you aren't playing footy.

If Saad genuinely wants to leave Essendon, then Essendon should have the opportunity to find a deal for him - a suitable financial / geographical deal for Adam with suitable compensation for Bombers. They shouldn't be restricted to dealing with one club because of a player who has been in discussions with rival clubs whilst under contract. It is rubbish.
    I think we like having a bit of fun about Dodoro, but I certainly wouldn't want to be negotiating with him. He does a great job for Essendon in most cases. I think they made a mistake not taking two first rounders for Daniher last year.

On Saad, I totally agree, how dare he says he will nominate Carlton when he is not even a free agent. It is getting ridiculous with these players nominating where they want to go.

Hopefully Essendon takes Carlton to the cleaners on this one.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Yeah, nominating sucks. Imagine if it was like the NBA. One day you're soaking up the sun in Miami, the next you're on a plane to Minnesota.
    Our 1954 premiership players are our heroes, and it has to be said that Charlie was their hero.

Post Thanks / Like

FWIW, a former colleague of mine worked at Coburg when Saad was there and he mentioned he was far from the sharpest tool in the shed. As in, FAR.

I like him as a player and find it amusing he's leaving another club for an arch rival.

Sit back and enjoy, ladies and gents.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by comrade View Post
    Yeah, nominating sucks. Imagine if it was like the NBA. One day you're soaking up the sun in Miami, the next you're on a plane to Minnesota.
    The players want an American style player movement model right up to the point that they don't. Kind of hoping Dons break the circuit here.
    - I'm a visionary - Only here to confirm my biases -

8. Likes The Adelaide Connection liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

A ride many are keen for us to board, but we probably won't. If Preuss goes to the Hawks one of Big Boy or Ceglar surely leaves.

Ruck merry-go-round: Hawks, Swans eyeing off rival big men

HAWTHORN has emerged as a serious contender for wantaway Melbourne ruckman Braydon Preuss, who is set to change clubs for the second time in three years.

That development comes as Sydney considers making a play for contracted West Coast big man Tom Hickey, after No.1 ruckman Sam Naismith suffered his second ACL rupture in June.

AFL.com.au revealed a fortnight ago that Greater Western Sydney and the Swans had shown interest in luring Preuss from the Demons, where he's contracted for two more seasons.

However, it's believed the Hawks are also keen on the lightly-played 25-year-old as they weigh up what to do with their ruck stocks.

They placed great faith in Jon Ceglar last year, offering him a three-year deal and installing him as their No.1 big man to convince him not to sign with Brisbane as a free agent.

That decision saw Hawthorn switch Ben McEvoy into defence – a move that's worked well – but Ceglar had an underwhelming season, while the Hawks were one of the AFL's worst clearance sides.

Behind them is project ruckman Ned Reeves, who is contracted for next year, while the Hawks also signed Keegan Brooksby on season eve for further ruck insurance.

Making Hawthorn's interest in Preuss more intriguing is that Melbourne is courting triple premiership Hawk Isaac Smith, an unrestricted free agent, to fill the wing role opposite Ed Langdon.

Preuss' career started at North Melbourne and his decision to join the Demons at the end of 2018, to be the clear No.2 behind Max Gawn, raised eyebrows across the competition.

He played only 10 games in the past two seasons and slipped to third in the pecking order this year behind hotshot draftee Luke Jackson, but his 206cm height and rugged style ensure he has admirers.

Hickey, 29, could also join a third club if a move to Sydney eventuates, after St Kilda traded him to the Eagles two years ago. He may even come into the Giants' sights if they miss out on Preuss.

Naismith's injury leaves the Swans short on ruck depth, with only Callum Sinclair and uncontracted pair Hayden McLean and Michael Knoll on their books outside of him.

The annual ruck merry-go-round is again in operation, with rival clubs believing Eagle Nathan Vardy, Collingwood's Max Lynch and Power prospect Sam Hayes are among those gettable.

Vardy, who played in West Coast's 2018 premiership and was previously at Geelong, is looking for a new deal – and he might not leave if Hickey does – but Lynch and Hayes are contracted to their current clubs for 2021.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    I think we like having a bit of fun about Dodoro, but I certainly wouldn't want to be negotiating with him. He does a great job for Essendon in most cases. I think they made a mistake not taking two first rounders for Daniher last year.
    Just getting my head around this one. You say Dodoro does a great job. This despite the state of Essendon’s list and performance, whilst also pointing out (quite rightly) that he blew the biggest trade deal he possibly could have done last year? I’ll also throw in that he way overspent on Dylan Shiel.

I’ll grant that Dodoro is a “tough” negotiator, but there’s a difference between a tough negotiator and a good negotiator. Being belligerent and not getting deals done for your club, having the list in a weak and precarious position, over spending on what you do bring in, forcing want away players to stay (Daniher and Fantasia) and also bringing poor cultural (Stringer & Saad) fits to your club is clearly not doing a great job, for mine. Just my opinion.

Post Thanks / Like

This off season might end up being the making of Essendon. Clear out the discontents, build via the draft, back in a new coach. No more quick fixes.
    Our 1954 premiership players are our heroes, and it has to be said that Charlie was their hero.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Webby View Post
    Just getting my head around this one. You say Dodoro does a great job. This despite the state of Essendon’s list and performance, whilst also pointing out (quite rightly) that he blew the biggest trade deal he possibly could have done last year? I’ll also throw in that he way overspent on Dylan Shiel.

I’ll grant that Dodoro is a “tough” negotiator, but there’s a difference between a tough negotiator and a good negotiator. Being belligerent and not getting deals done for your club, having the list in a weak and precarious position, over spending on what you do bring in, forcing want away players to stay (Daniher and Fantasia) and also bringing poor cultural (Stringer & Saad) fits to your club is clearly not doing a great job, for mine. Just my opinion.
    I did say most of the time.

Certainly stuffed up with Daniher, but that may not be his decision, with those above wanting to keep him.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The Bulldogs Bite View Post
    FWIW, a former colleague of mine worked at Coburg when Saad was there and he mentioned he was far from the sharpest tool in the shed. As in, FAR.

I like him as a player and find it amusing he's leaving another club for an arch rival.

It appears he also does not like receiving critical feedback.
    More of an In Bruges guy?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Axe Man View Post
    A ride many are keen for us to board, but we probably won't. If Preuss goes to the Hawks one of Big Boy or Ceglar surely leaves.
    A bit concerning that they have not even drawn a long bow to us.
    More of an In Bruges guy?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by azabob View Post
    A bit concerning that they have not even drawn a long bow to us.
    Will be surplus to needs with Goldy coming in.
    - I'm a visionary - Only here to confirm my biases -

16. Likes hujsh, N/A liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mjp View Post
    We can poke all the fun at Dodoro we want, but he is RIGHT.

Saad is NOT a free-agent.

Essendon gave up significant capital to attract him - and, based on his comments at the time, made a reasonable commitment to his family etc to support him as an Islamic player participating in elite level sport. I don't know what Carlton's first pick is, but Essendon should be asking for it.

I am a bit scorched earth when it comes to this I know but the rules are there to support the clubs AND the players...not just the Players. Saad is NOT a free-agent...if he wants to nominate his club, then that club needs to be prepared to deal. And if I was Essendon, I would be saying the Carlton (and Adam Saad) that I understand his point of view, but he is a required player and it is their first round pick AS IT STANDS TODAY (no trading down to pick 18 and saying "This is our first round pick") or he is an Essendon player...and if he wants to sit out of footy for 12-months, fine, we can revisit the conversation in 12-months time...enjoy your job doing whatever the heck it is you do when you aren't playing footy.

If Saad genuinely wants to leave Essendon, then Essendon should have the opportunity to find a deal for him - a suitable financial / geographical deal for Adam with suitable compensation for Bombers. They shouldn't be restricted to dealing with one club because of a player who has been in discussions with rival clubs whilst under contract. It is rubbish.
    Damn it MJP, you have made Essendon seem reasonable and somewhat human. It is way more fun when they feel like Hans Gruber trying to ruin Christmas.

But you are spot on. It's great to see that players have some voice in the process but it seems like all the power is in their hands. Very rarely does a club stand up and say "no deal" and either hold them to their contract or force them into the PSD. On balance does this also end up benefitting the big clubs?

GC tried to play hardball with Martin, but the system allowed Carlton to use PSD red tape to put him out of reach. It also seems pretty clear that no-one will take a player that hadn't nominated them anyway.

For balance (and a bit of a tangent), there was a rumour that Bailey Smith manipulated the draft to avoid being drafted out of Victoria. It was a rumour so may not be true (and there may have been legitimate reasons if true) but that also doesn't really sit well with me.

I really hope that in this draft period a club rightly plays hardball on a player (like Saad) when they are offered unders by a big club, they go to the PSD and North Melbourne takes them.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The Bulldogs Bite View Post

Well one would have to assume that about anyone who willingly decides to play for the bombers and then the blues.

Honestly you do have to question the motives and intelligence of these players who keep choosing the bombers and blues. Clubs who have been poor for years and questionable cultures.

19. Likes Twodogs, jeemak liked this post