Thanks Thanks:  83
Likes Likes:  632
Page 30 of 86 FirstFirst ... 20212223242526272829303132333435363738394080 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: 2020 Player movement

Robbie Tarrant the latest North player considering leaving. 31 and contracted for next season. Would be great for us but how long does he have left and what would he cost?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Axe Man View Post
    Robbie Tarrant the latest North player considering leaving. 31 and contracted for next season. Would be great for us but how long does he have left and what would he cost?
    2 years left, and North would probably want a player. As is usually the case, they'll ask for a player we want to keep.
    Western Bulldogs: 2016 Premiers

Post Thanks / Like

Tarrant is washed.
    - I'm a visionary - Only here to confirm my biases -

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Happy Days View Post
    Tarrant is washed.
    A year younger than old man Goldy.

5. Likes Twodogs, 1eyedog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

A year younger than old man Goldy.
    Josh Bruce didn’t kick 6 on Goldstein.

7. Likes SquirrelGrip, Dry Rot liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

If Tarrant was 28 I'd be all chips in, but he's 31 and looks weathered in the way that he plays.

For the right price, sure, but Norf would only let him go for a premium IMO.

9. Likes Sedat liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The Bulldogs Bite View Post
    If Tarrant was 28 I'd be all chips in, but he's 31 and looks weathered in the way that he plays.

For the right price, sure, but Norf would only let him go for a premium IMO.
    I think this is correct, he has lost a step otherwise he would be a great fit
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mjp View Post
    We can poke all the fun at Dodoro we want, but he is RIGHT.

Saad is NOT a free-agent.

Essendon gave up significant capital to attract him - and, based on his comments at the time, made a reasonable commitment to his family etc to support him as an Islamic player participating in elite level sport. I don't know what Carlton's first pick is, but Essendon should be asking for it.

I am a bit scorched earth when it comes to this I know but the rules are there to support the clubs AND the players...not just the Players. Saad is NOT a free-agent...if he wants to nominate his club, then that club needs to be prepared to deal. And if I was Essendon, I would be saying the Carlton (and Adam Saad) that I understand his point of view, but he is a required player and it is their first round pick AS IT STANDS TODAY (no trading down to pick 18 and saying "This is our first round pick") or he is an Essendon player...and if he wants to sit out of footy for 12-months, fine, we can revisit the conversation in 12-months time...enjoy your job doing whatever the heck it is you do when you aren't playing footy.

If Saad genuinely wants to leave Essendon, then Essendon should have the opportunity to find a deal for him - a suitable financial / geographical deal for Adam with suitable compensation for Bombers. They shouldn't be restricted to dealing with one club because of a player who has been in discussions with rival clubs whilst under contract. It is rubbish.
    Well said Mike.

Quote Originally Posted by bulldogsthru&thru View Post
    Well one would have to assume that about anyone who willingly decides to play for the bombers and then the blues.

Honestly you do have to question the motives and intelligence of these players who keep choosing the bombers and blues. Clubs who have been poor for years and questionable cultures.
    I think in a lot of cases players leave the decision up to their manager who just goes with the biggest offer.

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    Hawks fans think he is setting himself up for a big contract with them as he was a mad hawthorn supporter growing up.

We need to stitch up for the long term.
    We do need to stitch him up but Hawthorn supporters are a bit delusional if they think that.
    They say Burt Lancaster has one, but I don't believe them.

Post Thanks / Like

I knew it - Happy Days is Damian Barrett!

IF ...
    I was head of Dogs' recruiting ...

THEN ...
    I'd be ringing Todd Goldstein and asking him two things – would he consider breaking his North Melbourne contract, and what would he need to head to Whitten Oval?

13. Likes GVGjr, Sedat liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I knew it - Happy Days is Damian Barrett!

IF ...
    I was head of Dogs' recruiting ...

THEN ...
    I'd be ringing Todd Goldstein and asking him two things – would he consider breaking his North Melbourne contract, and what would he need to head to Whitten Oval?
    Can't be. No mention of Josh Bruce being fired into the sun.
    "It's over. It's all over."

Post Thanks / Like

The best way to go about it is not to get Goldstein to break the contract, but to get the club to. They've already shown a willingness to make hard decisions and be pretty ruthless to clear out the malaise they let set in, and if we offer that 2021 first then I have a hard time believing they'll say no.

Goldstein is probably a bit Patty Hursted right now but I can't imagine him being too upset playing with what is ostensibly the All Australian midfield every week.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Happy Days View Post
    The best way to go about it is not to get Goldstein to break the contract, but to get the club to. They've already shown a willingness to make hard decisions and be pretty ruthless to clear out the malaise they let set in, and if we offer that 2021 first then I have a hard time believing they'll say no.

Goldstein is probably a bit Patty Hursted right now but I can't imagine him being too upset playing with what is ostensibly the All Australian midfield every week.
    Kudos for making Patty Hearst a verb.

Post Thanks / Like

I don't know much about Brander but "Swingman" screams Bevo.

Rivals circle Eagles swingman, emerging forward locked in

After 11 games in three seasons at West Coast, Jarrod Brander is a player of interest this Trade Period

RIVAL clubs are monitoring contracted West Coast youngster Jarrod Brander as a player of interest this Trade Period as the Eagles gear up for another premiership assault in 2021.

Brander, 21, was unable to nail a spot in the Eagles' best line-up this season and was overlooked in the surprise semi-final loss to Collingwood on Saturday night.

While the Eagles see the 195cm swingman as a required player, suitors are beginning to ask the question over whether Brander would be better served with greater opportunity elsewhere.

It comes as the Eagles lock in another piece in their future plans with emerging tall Jake Waterman committing to a new three-year deal until the end of 2023.

Champion forward Josh Kennedy and premiership captain Shannon Hurn re-signed for 2021 on Thursday, while gun wingman Andrew Gaff has formally triggered an extension until 2024.

Brander played eight of his 11 career games this season, but a persistent hip injury and lack of form cost him games in the middle part of the year.

He played three games in his first two seasons at the Eagles across key posts in attack and defence.

It appears the wing role will be his best chance of securing a position next season with Jeremy McGovern and Tom Barrass settled in defence and Kennedy partnering Waterman, Jack Darling and Oscar Allen in the forward 50.

Geelong explored the possibility of landing Brander last year as part of Tim Kelly's move to West Coast but at the time still had two years left to run on his contract in the west.

Brander was seen as a top-five pick early in his draft year of 2017 before the Eagles nabbed the former GWS Academy prospect at No.11.

The Giants had hoped to have access to Brander as part of their zoning eligibility, however those rights were revoked after an assessment of his living arrangements in Mildura.

After trading their 2020 first-round pick last year for Kelly, any move for Brander could see the Eagles rewarded with an earlier pick than their first selection which currently stands at No.30.

Post Thanks / Like

Brander hasn't impressed me from what I've seen. Pass.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mjp View Post
    Because he isn’t a free agent. Had he chosen to stay at Gold Coast he would be a RFA now...but because he already flipped once he has limited his ability to do so again. Yes - he has seen out his contract but he remains Essendon’s player. He knows that. His management know that. The fact he has decided he wants to quit on the club and team-mates who HE chose (he was not drafted by Essendon and had his choice of clubs) is down to him...

Every time you tell them it’s a game they treat it like a business. And every time you tell them it’s a business they want to make it abut the game...it’s the professional athletes lament but leaving a club in a competition where there are legislated restraints of trade is not as simple as changing your mind and it isn’t JUST about player contracts...there are also the rules around player movement that underpin the competition to be considered and in this case Saad is on the wrong side of them.
    You are spot on but unfortunately with the PSD Essendon really have no choice but to accept whatever Carlton offer, which will most likely be a late first round pick.

He knw the rules when he decided to go to Essendon. They really need to remove the whole nominating rubbish from the equation.