Thanks Thanks:  83
Likes Likes:  632
Page 54 of 86 FirstFirst ... 4444546474849505152535455565758596061626364 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: 2020 Player movement

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    He also told the club he wanted to stay.
    https://www.foxsports.com.au/afl/afl...569c41b2325a41

This has been handled very poorly by Collingwood. Telling a player we don't want you and will pay $200k of your contract if you leave.
    Let's not forget Collingwood chased him (hard) when he was at GWS and outbid Richmond for his services.
    Western Bulldogs: 2016 Premiers

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Rocket Science View Post
    FWIW I've never quite understood the plaudits Treloar receives.

He's 'busy' and runs all day but is a bog ordinary user and a card carrying member of the 'no hurt factor' club.

Still, lovely of the Pies to shaft him like this.
    He does have burst speed from the contest and can find the ball - he's certainly not going to hurt you by foot when he's on the run.
    Back-ended deal too. For all his attributes, he's not the $900k(!) player Collingwood have contracted him for.
    Western Bulldogs: 2016 Premiers

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post
    Rendell mentioned this a couple of weeks back but it was more of a suggestion that was trying to accommodate the needs of 4 clubs

While we might be interested in Mason Cox I tend to think we won't be unless we are keen to move Naughton to the backline and make Comrade happy
    I heard Rendell say "the bulldogs are down the track"....hmmm

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Dry Rot View Post
    Doesn't quite for me. Can you please expand on that?
    Rendell said he was quite a good ruckman as he coached him in the craft. Forward/ruck what we are looking for.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Happy Days View Post
    Cox is another attempt by us to fill a hole in our immediate 22 on the cheap that won’t make us a whole heap better and does nothing for us long term. So of course we’re into it.

We should be targeting a good first ruckman who can play forward. Cox barely spent any time in the actual ruck this year and on the whole had a putrid season save for one quarter of a final.
    We've got one. Tim will be our number one ruck for years to come. Needs a chop out though.

Post Thanks / Like

Jesse Hogan available “on the cheap”.

This should appeal to us. Wonder if they would consider taking on a (hypothetical) key forward’s 3x$500k contract “cheap”.
    - I'm a visionary - Only here to confirm my biases -

7. Likes GVGjr liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Why does it seem we only go after players like Cox, Bruce or Keith? It's because they're gettable at the right price - and the media only finds out about it once things heat up.

We make an assumption that we don't ask the question of emerging players with talent, but in all likelihood we do but when we do we get rebuffed either by being told that player is off limits, or that player will cost more than they're worth to prise them from their clubs and the conversation goes nowhere. Not every player wants to go to every club that is interested in them, it just doesn't work that way.
    Nobody's looking for a puppeteer in today's wintry economic climate.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jeemak View Post
    Why does it seem we only go after players like Cox, Bruce or Keith? It's because they're gettable at the right price - and the media only finds out about it once things heat up.

We make an assumption that we don't ask the question of emerging players with talent, but in all likelihood we do but when we do we get rebuffed either by being told that player is off limits, or that player will cost more than they're worth to prise them from their clubs and the conversation goes nowhere. Not every player wants to go to every club that is interested in them, it just doesn't work that way.
    The question is why is it only ageing players like Bruce, Keath, Duryea, Suckling (and throw Cox into the mix I guess) that are interested enough to actually pull the trigger and move across to our side.

No doubt we're apporaching good players in their prime, but we're unable to attract them.
    Our 1954 premiership players are our heroes, and it has to be said that Charlie was their hero.

Post Thanks / Like

Why wouldn't we consider Majak Daw over Cox. I don't rate either but if we want someone to give Tim some cover for a couple of years he has all the attributes. Be free too.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mofra View Post
    https://www.foxsports.com.au/afl/afl...569c41b2325a41

This has been handled very poorly by Collingwood. Telling a player we don't want you and will pay $200k of your contract if you leave.
    Let's not forget Collingwood chased him (hard) when he was at GWS and outbid Richmond for his services.
    Here is a case where the player is contracted till 2025 and wants to stay, but the club wants to get rid of him.

This part is really poor if true:

They’ve also told him he is difficult to coach at times, with no further explanation or clarification.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

I think we continually sell Keath short as a pickup and he's an overwhelming success, particularly given the little amount he cost in terms of draft capital. I don't think it's accurate that Adelaide pushed him out either. Let's put him to the side.

The other guys though - its having your cake and eating it too recruitment, and we try it out every year. Sure we don't know if the club isn't trying to get better talent in, but we do know that they don't and also that they do top up each trade window with these lesser lights that don't really do anything to make us a better team. Think of Cloke, Schache, Trengove, Gowers, Lloyd, Duryea, and now Hannan. I'm also thinking of our Essendon-like overwillingness to cling to players for several seasons too long, of which there are about 10-12 examples waiting for new deals.

These low-risk, no-reward moves are incredibly frustrating to see performed over and over again, and are as big a reason as any as why we've settled into a pattern of mid-table finishes and first round finals exits despite having what by any measure is one of the best midfield groups in recent memory. We need to either dream bigger or develop better.
    - I'm a visionary - Only here to confirm my biases -

13. Likes Mofra liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Happy Days View Post
    Jesse Hogan available “on the cheap”.

This should appeal to us. Wonder if they would consider taking on a (hypothetical) key forward’s 3x$500k contract “cheap”.
    Tigers interested. That should be enough for everyone to be.

Post Thanks / Like

Sam Edmund
    @Sammy__Edmund

Mason Cox won’t be going to the Dogs.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

16. Thanks Happy Days, Grantysghost, Mofra thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    Sam Edmund
    @Sammy__Edmund

Mason Cox won’t be going to the Dogs.

18. Likes bornadog, KT31 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Grantysghost View Post
    Why wouldn't we consider Majak Daw over Cox. I don't rate either but if we want someone to give Tim some cover for a couple of years he has all the attributes. Be free too.
    I think the best thing for Majak Daw would be to get on with his life.
    But then again, I'm an Internet poster and Bevo is a premiership coach so draw your own conclusions.

20. Likes Grantysghost, Bulldog4life liked this post