Thanks Thanks:  83
Likes Likes:  632
Page 55 of 86 FirstFirst ... 5454647484950515253545556575859606162636465 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: 2020 Player movement

Quote Originally Posted by Grantysghost View Post
    Why wouldn't we consider Majak Daw over Cox. I don't rate either but if we want someone to give Tim some cover for a couple of years he has all the attributes. Be free too.
    Because he can't move.
    He jumped off a bridge and smashed is hip to smithereens. North have cut 11 players and will lose a few more, if he was in any way able to be a half decent AFL player they would have kept him after persisting with him for this long.
    Western Bulldogs: 2016 Premiers

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by comrade View Post
    The question is why is it only ageing players like Bruce, Keath, Duryea, Suckling (and throw Cox into the mix I guess) that are interested enough to actually pull the trigger and move across to our side.

No doubt we're apporaching good players in their prime, but we're unable to attract them.
    It's a question that's been done to death, but one worth repeatedly asking.

Are we a bit conservative with what we're willing to pay to bring younger talent in, because a lot of our talent is in that younger bracket and we're mindful not to get noses out of joint? We seem able to offer older players tenure and security, but that's possibly something younger and clearly in demand players might take for granted.
    Nobody's looking for a puppeteer in today's wintry economic climate.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jeemak View Post

Are we a bit conservative with what we're willing to pay to bring younger talent in, because a lot of our talent is in that younger bracket and we're mindful not to get noses out of joint? We seem able to offer older players tenure and security, but that's possibly something younger and clearly in demand players might take for granted.
    Yes but then you have the Josh Dunkley situation in any case.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mofra View Post
    Because he can't move.
    He jumped off a bridge and smashed is hip to smithereens. North have cut 11 players and will lose a few more, if he was in any way able to be a half decent AFL player they would have kept him after persisting with him for this long.
    Aha thanks, I didn't realise he was that beat up, I don't follow North that closely but recall he made a senior comeback so assumed he wasn't in their plans but was physically OK.
    I don't want him anyway, was just the exasperation at a link with Cox had me thinking laterally.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bulldogsthru&thru View Post
    Yes but then you have the Josh Dunkley situation in any case.
    What situation? Obviously I know what's happening, but I don't know from which angle you're coming from.
    Nobody's looking for a puppeteer in today's wintry economic climate.

Post Thanks / Like

Feel for Treloar, that is being handled horribly by Collingwood.

He must be regretting his decision even more now.

Must be more to it than just salary cap squeeze, surely? Adam seems like a good young leader, I find it hard to believe any club would fall over themselves to push somebody like that out just because.

That, or their financial management is just bloody diabolical.

Post Thanks / Like

What situation? Obviously I know what's happening, but I don't know from which angle you're coming from.
    As in, we still (if it's true) have a situation where a young player wants to leave for more money, even if we've kept our bankroll low to use on young players.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Happy Days View Post
    Cox is another attempt by us to fill a hole in our immediate 22 on the cheap that won’t make us a whole heap better and does nothing for us long term. So of course we’re into it.
    You're not wrong, but what's the alternative at this point - roll up to 2021 with English, Sweet and nothing else? Assuming quarters return to normal next year, that's even more concerning.

Reality is we need a short term option. English is the mid to long term option and we can always draft (or continue to try to poach) a younger ruck in the coming years.

We're hamstrung by our poor list management around rucks in recent years and the fact that available options are limited, but if we don't try to address this shortcoming immediately, it'll be absolute madness.

9. Likes DOG GOD liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

We brought in some older players because all our older players retired. The older players were also at the same time, players that needed to fill a gap like KPP. Don't forget we have also traded in Schache at age 21.

I don't believe we are conservative with what we are willing to pay, we threw money at Martin, Wingard but for whatever reason, it wasn't enough and there were other factors (lack of indigenous programme). We offered Hurley over $700k back then but Essendon upped the offer at the last minute.

Agree, we don't want to get too many younger players noses out of joint. Now that is prudent. It is a fine balancing act when you look at the makeup of our list.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

I think we certainly show the money but we don't do ridiculous amounts which perhaps, like north/saints, a club like ours needs to do to attract great talent. I'm happy with that but perhaps more needs to be done, outside of money, to attract the best.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The Bulldogs Bite View Post
    We're hamstrung by our poor list management around rucks in recent years and the fact that available options are limited, but if we don't try to address this shortcoming immediately, it'll be absolute madness.
    Don't forget we had Tom Boyd and he retired in 2019 which left us in a hole. Yes maybe we should have brought in a replacement at the end of 2019 trade period, but I think we used up everything on Bruce and Keath, and probably thought SWeet and Trengove could be our backups.

You are not wrong, we better have someone lined up for next year. I am still keen on 2MP.

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

I think we certainly show the money but we don't do ridiculous amounts which perhaps, like north/saints, a club like ours needs to do to attract great talent. I'm happy with that but perhaps more needs to be done, outside of money, to attract the best.
    Have a look at the money North threw at a few players, but they couldn't reel anyone in. It is more than just money.

Story on Foxfooty says Dusty was offered over $11million from Crows/North, but rejected it.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    Have a look at the money North threw at a few players, but they couldn't reel anyone in. It is more than just money.

Story on Foxfooty says Dusty was offered over $11million from Crows/North, but rejected it.
    Yes but he stayed with his club. We've missed out on the likes of Wingard and Martin who departed to other clubs.

Post Thanks / Like

Yes but he stayed with his club. We've missed out on the likes of Wingard and Martin who departed to other clubs.
    We were not prepared to pay those players ridiculous amounts for starters and secondly, both indigenous players were sold a story on Hawks and Blues programme, that we don't have.

16. Likes 1eyedog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The Bulldogs Bite View Post
    You're not wrong, but what's the alternative at this point - roll up to 2021 with English, Sweet and nothing else? Assuming quarters return to normal next year, that's even more concerning.

Reality is we need a short term option. English is the mid to long term option and we can always draft (or continue to try to poach) a younger ruck in the coming years.

Think I've been pretty clear on what we should do with regards to our ruck situation.

At any rate, is there any evidence that Cox is actually a capable ruck? Grundy does as close to 100% of the ruckwork as possible, he got supplanted by Cameron for a stretch when the Pies looked to lighten Grundy's ruck load, and all of his best work has been in five minute bursts when he can do that one thing he does (mark a ball kicked in high enough where only he can catch it).

We definitely need something more, but Cox, his limited body of work, and his alleged $500k contract isn't it. Pretty relieved it's turned out to be smoke.
    - I'm a visionary - Only here to confirm my biases -

18. Likes Grantysghost, 1eyedog liked this post