Thanks Thanks:  83
Likes Likes:  632
Page 64 of 86 FirstFirst ... 14545556575859606162636465666768697071727374 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: 2020 Player movement

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    I can't agree with this statement.

Last year we brought in Keath and Bruce, two tall KP players. Before that we brought in LLoyd and Duryea trying to bolster goal kicking and defense and inject some experience into the team. Before that was Suckling and Trengove. We have our fair share of players from other clubs.
    Keath is an intercept defender which wasn’t a strong need. Bruce is a tall forward which also wasn’t a huge need with Naughtons development, Schache and JUH coming in. Now I’m not saying these were misguided recruits. I’m happy bringing both in as they add value. But we’re crying out for crafty small forwards who apply pressure, a fullback and a ruck who can give English support so we don’t see the likes of Dunkley doing ruckwork. These have been issues for some time. Surely we knew Morris was close to retirement, English is too young to be ready for 100% ruck time and we’ve not had a small forward in...well a long time. I know we went after Martin and Wingard to fill that small forward void. But did we really think Lloyd and drafting Weightman were going to fix the issue?

To top it all off we’ve held deadweight players for far too long where we could have been bringing in some other speculative players to give a chance over these others we knew weren’t going to become anything.

2. Likes GVGjr, Dancin' Douggy, 1eyedog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post
    Ruckman aside, we seem to get fascinated in filling a position we are perceived to be weak at

Lonie is an OK player but I doubt he makes us much better. Couldn't West or Garcia fill that role for us?
    He feels like a Daniel Bandy selection - a player who has played very well against us previously so we have an over-inflated opinion of his actual ability.
    "Look at me mate. Look at me. I'm flyin'"

4. Likes The bulldog tragician liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Sedat View Post
    They came from well behind us and jumped ahead of us in 1 season. They are not standing still and are looking to add more quality through the doors so we need to get much better in the off season just to keep level with them, let alone have any hope of catching the top 4 from this year.
    It seems to me, Ratten and his assistants have a clear vision of where they are going and what they need to do to get there. They could see that Steele needs some quality help as an inside mid, so they get into the ear of Crouch, who would walk into any teams 22. They’d look at their fwd line now...who’s the weakest link? Lonie? Yes, so a smarter, quicker, X factor type becomes available in Higgins, so they make a call. They aren’t sitting on their laurels. They are well aware of the players required, and they are going for it. Hats off to them.
    I will never see #16 the same!!

6. Likes Sedat liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bulldogsthru&thru View Post
    Keath is an intercept defender which wasn’t a strong need. Bruce is a tall forward which also wasn’t a huge need with Naughtons development, Schache and JUH coming in. Now I’m not saying these were misguided recruits. I’m happy bringing both in as they add value. But we’re crying out for crafty small forwards who apply pressure, a fullback and a ruck who can give English support so we don’t see the likes of Dunkley doing ruckwork. These have been issues for some time. Surely we knew Morris was close to retirement, English is too young to be ready for 100% ruck time and we’ve not had a small forward in...well a long time. I know we went after Martin and Wingard to fill that small forward void. But did we really think Lloyd and drafting Weightman were going to fix the issue?

To top it all off we’ve held deadweight players for far too long where we could have been bringing in some other speculative players to give a chance over these others we knew weren’t going to become anything.
    Great post mate. Totally agree. The writing was on the wall with our list. Instead of getting 30 half back flankers over a 4 year period, we had ample time and opportunity to think ahead. We didn’t.

Post Thanks / Like

It's gone very quiet on the Lonie front in recent weeks and there was at least one report of us no longer being interested. I wouldn't get too worked up until we hear something a little more concrete.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Axe Man View Post
    It's gone very quiet on the Lonie front in recent weeks and there was at least one report of us no longer being interested. I wouldn't get too worked up until we hear something a little more concrete.
    I read something that the Saints were close to re-signing both he and Carlisle so I think we might have lost some interest
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Sedat View Post
    He feels like a Daniel Bandy selection - a player who has played very well against us previously so we have an over-inflated opinion of his actual ability.
    Tread lightly Sedat I rated Daniel Bandy
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

11. Likes Sedat, Dry Rot liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DOG GOD View Post
    Great post mate. Totally agree. The writing was on the wall with our list. Instead of getting 30 half back flankers over a 4 year period, we had ample time and opportunity to think ahead. We didn’t.
    I think Boyd retiring set us back with a ruck and forward to swap with English.
    Bring back the biff

Post Thanks / Like

There's only ever limited players in positions of need who are either of quality, on the move, willing to come to you and within your price range every few years. What we as fans don't see is the process for putting a line through players who may be available but being assessed as not necessarily likely to make us better.

So if you can't attain players who fill specific needs and actually make you better, are you then not better off finding players who may not fill specific needs but increase depth in areas where you have cover and may turn out to be better than the players you have in those positions?

Additionally playing behind the ball is easier than in front of it, which means there's proably more players capable of doing it well meaning there's more likely to be players available to do so. I get that it's frustrating but I honestly don't think we're as stupid as we seem, rather, we're possibly too conservative with what we're prepared to offer given we're not a noted destination club.
    Nobody's looking for a puppeteer in today's wintry economic climate.

14. Likes The Bulldogs Bite, Dry Rot liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

https://www.sen.com.au/news/2020/10/...eloar-in-2021/

...and in other news Fantastia requests trade to Port.
    But then again, I'm an Internet poster and Bevo is a premiership coach so draw your own conclusions.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 1eyedog View Post
    https://www.sen.com.au/news/2020/10/...eloar-in-2021/

...and in other news Fantastia requests trade to Port.
    Treloar to us is gaining some traction. If we lose Dunks, it would probably soften the blow. We do need that outside run in the mix, just his disposal at times but it's not that bad.

Have to say I'm warming to the idea. He's younger than I thought.

Post Thanks / Like

Treloars poor disposal will fit right in at the dogs.
    He certainly would be a good fit. Has that explosiveness we lack.

Post Thanks / Like

Let's be honest. Dunks disposal is often quite bad too. Would Treloar be an upgrade due to his pace if they both have poor kicking as part of their makeup?
    Quote Originally Posted by Grantysghost View Post
    Treloar to us is gaining some traction. If we lose Dunks, it would probably soften the blow. We do need that outside run in the mix, just his disposal at times but it's not that bad.

Have to say I'm warming to the idea. He's younger than I thought.

19. Likes 1eyedog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Dunks is better above his head. More versatile too. Did we really miss Dunkley badly when he was injured? I'm thinking Treloar would be more important for us than Dunkley. Not saying he's a better player just that he is a better on-field fit and will help in terms of list balance.

Let's face it does anyone on here think that Bevo actually knows how to play Dunkley? Treloar, VDM and Smith will make us look heaps faster and that appears to be the fad at the top end of the ladder. Pace.

I'd actually give up Dunks for Treloar without a problem. We are far more needy of what Treloar can bring than how we have used Dunkley all year. All in on Treloar.
    But then again, I'm an Internet poster and Bevo is a premiership coach so draw your own conclusions.

21. Likes Dancin' Douggy liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DOG GOD View Post
    Treloars poor disposal will fit right in at the dogs.
    He certainly would be a good fit. Has that explosiveness we lack.
    We were number 1 in the league this season for disposal efficiency. The narrative that we are poor users of the ball is just plain wrong, we have enough good users. Sometimes I feel like people don't watch any other footy to see how poorly other teams, kick, enter the forward 50, etc.