Thanks Thanks:  83
Likes Likes:  632
Page 66 of 86 FirstFirst ... 16565758596061626364656667686970717273747576 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: 2020 Player movement

Bombers actually believe he’s told his teammates and other Dogs people that he wants to leave

Essendon are trying their hardest to make this the position that Dunkley has taken. We haven't heard from Dunkley or Pickering and if he truly wanted out then we would have heard it from one of them.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Testekill View Post
    Bombers actually believe he’s told his teammates and other Dogs people that he wants to leave

Essendon are trying their hardest to make this the position that Dunkley has taken. We haven't heard from Dunkley or Pickering and if he truly wanted out then we would have heard it from one of them.
    I think the reverse is true. He would've shut this down straight away if there wasn't something in it. I think it sounds as if he's just not being a total dick about it, and letting the club handle things professionally, aware that he doesn't want to burn bridges.
    He and his management would be very aware that with 2 years remaining on his contract, it would have to be a monumental deal for Essendon to be able to satisfy us. They are perhaps aware that there is every chance Essendon can't make the trade happen and therefore happy to just let things occur behind closed doors.

Post Thanks / Like

For mine, the more this gains momentum, the more pressure on Essendon to make it happen, hence the more pressure on dodo to offer what we would be asking. Dogs just need to sit back and keep knocking back dodo’s stupid ideas until he comes up with 2 first rounders or 1 and tippa. It’s simple.
    I will never see #16 the same!!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Yankee Hotel Foxtrot View Post
    I think the reverse is true. He would've shut this down straight away if there wasn't something in it. I think it sounds as if he's just not being a total dick about it, and letting the club handle things professionally, aware that he doesn't want to burn bridges.
    He and his management would be very aware that with 2 years remaining on his contract, it would have to be a monumental deal for Essendon to be able to satisfy us. They are perhaps aware that there is every chance Essendon can't make the trade happen and therefore happy to just let things occur behind closed doors.
    Yep I think this is exactly what's going on. I think he'd be more than happy to stay but thinks the $$$ from essendon is too good to knock back. Either way, if he stays it might rub some players up the wrong way. I mean, he wanted to bail on his team mates.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bulldogsthru&thru View Post
    Yep I think this is exactly what's going on. I think he'd be more than happy to stay but thinks the $$$ from essendon is too good to knock back. Either way, if he stays it might rub some players up the wrong way. I mean, he wanted to bail on his team mates.
    I have also read the deal is more like $800k and not $650k
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

I actually think of all people his team mates are most likely to be fine with it, you know, because if gifted such a massive jump in pay they'd probably do the same.

Players have moved on from the more traditional values around loyalty to the jumper etc. etc. much quicker than supporters have. As long as people aren't dicks on the way out I'm not sure much seems to bother them.
    Nobody's looking for a puppeteer in today's wintry economic climate.

7. Likes 1eyedog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jeemak View Post
    I actually think of all people his team mates are most likely to be fine with it, you know, because if gifted such a massive jump in pay they'd probably do the same.

Players have moved on from the more traditional values around loyalty to the jumper etc. etc. much quicker than supporters have. As long as people aren't dicks on the way out I'm not sure much seems to bother them.
    I suppose if that’s the case we shouldn’t get too attached to any of our players. So this is what it’s like to support teams in the premier league. I don’t like it. I suppose if you go for a big club it’s not much of an issue as you know you’ll always bring in top talent. But because we support a small club we’ll just always have this fear that we’ll lose our players to big clubs....so then what’s the point?

9. Likes BornInDroopSt'54 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Surely there is more than just the money aspect when leaving.

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    Surely there is more than just the money aspect when leaving.
    These guys are highly attuned to the fact their careers are short and they're unlikely to be paid as lucratively later in life as they are now.
    Nobody's looking for a puppeteer in today's wintry economic climate.

Post Thanks / Like

These guys are highly attuned to the fact their careers are short and they're unlikely to be paid as lucratively later in life as they are now.
    I can totally understand. But there would be players who want more out of their football career than just dollars. I thought Josh was one of those but I was wrong. Unless of course it's just a huge salary jump. That's all speculative at the moment.

On a side note, does anyone think Gary Ablett Jr regrets his move to the gold coast? I mean, he's an alltime great of the game but for me, watching him go out last weekend, it was a bit meh. I don't associate him with geelong. I don't see him as a clubman. Selwood has a higher standing IMO. Had he stayed at the cats he may have had greater success but he would most certainly have been a cats legend.

13. Likes BornInDroopSt'54 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I can totally understand. But there would be players who want more out of their football career than just dollars. I thought Josh was one of those but I was wrong. Unless of course it's just a huge salary jump. That's all speculative at the moment.

On a side note, does anyone think Gary Ablett Jr regrets his move to the gold coast? I mean, he's an alltime great of the game but for me, watching him go out last weekend, it was a bit meh. I don't associate him with geelong. I don't see him as a clubman. Selwood has a higher standing IMO. Had he stayed at the cats he may have had greater success but he would most certainly have been a cats legend.
    I agree somewhat, but Hawkins and Brereton did it too. Not for the same reasons as Gazza, but more so to extend their career that was pretty much over. Does this put a stain on them as club champions? Hodge, Mitchell, Lewis to name recent ones, once again not for money like Ablett.

I think what I’m saying, is that it seems to me that money/opportunity is an important factor. Remember, every player is only one injury away from no career. You will get the “Chris grants” still in the game, but this is a completely new generation, a new mindset for players of today.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DOG GOD View Post
    I agree somewhat, but Hawkins and Brereton did it too. Not for the same reasons as Gazza, but more so to extend their career that was pretty much over. Does this put a stain on them as club champions? Hodge, Mitchell, Lewis to name recent ones, once again not for money like Ablett.

I think what I’m saying, is that it seems to me that money/opportunity is an important factor. Remember, every player is only one injury away from no career. You will get the “Chris grants” still in the game, but this is a completely new generation, a new mindset for players of today.
    The new mindset is due to the big dollars now, the million dollar contracts have changed everything. When Chris was offered a contract to go to Port, the jump would have been nothing like today. Dunks could be doubling his salary $400k to $800k over 5 years.

16. Likes 1eyedog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    The new mindset is due to the big dollars now, the million dollar contracts have changed everything. When Chris was offered a contract to go to Port, the jump would have been nothing like today. Dunks could be doubling his salary $400k to $800k over 5 years.
    Exactly. It’s a completely different world.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Testekill View Post

And I actually believe I will win tattslotto on Saturday night and I have told tattersalls Australia.
    Bring back the biff

19. Likes Dancin' Douggy liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Maybe Dunkley has serious questions about the direction of the club and doesn't like the answers?
    More of an In Bruges guy?