Thanks Thanks:  83
Likes Likes:  632
Page 74 of 86 FirstFirst ... 24646566676869707172737475767778798081828384 ... LastLast
Results 1,096 to 1,110 of 1276
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: 2020 Player movement

Quote Originally Posted by Mofra View Post
    By my count it's McEvoy, Goldstein, Cox and Fort we've been linked to. I think Goldstein would have been perfect, and he could double as a ruck coach.
    Goldstein is the only one who fits the bill that will really move the dial over the next 2 seasons, McEvoy would be ok as well.

The other 2 do not fall into the decent category.
    Our 1954 premiership players are our heroes, and it has to be said that Charlie was their hero.

Post Thanks / Like

Goldstein will happen. We owe it to the competition to get him in and treat everyone to getting to watch Bont in a midfield that wins the hitouts once in a while.
    - I'm a visionary - Only here to confirm my biases -

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Happy Days View Post
    Goldstein will happen. We owe it to the competition to get him in and treat everyone to getting to watch Bont in a midfield that wins the hitouts once in a while.
    I think it might as well. A key reason Goldy knocked back Geelong was because Shaw was made coach. I reckon he might be keen to get out of there and chase a flag. Here's hoping because I think he has two good years left.
    But then again, I'm an Internet poster and Bevo is a premiership coach so draw your own conclusions.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by comrade View Post
    Goldstein is the only one who fits the bill that will really move the dial over the next 2 seasons, McEvoy would be ok as well.

The other 2 do not fall into the decent category.
    Hawks already said no for McEvoy
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 1eyedog View Post
    I think it might as well. A key reason Goldy knocked back Geelong was because Shaw was made coach. I reckon he might be keen to get out of there and chase a flag. Here's hoping because I think he has two good years left.
    Yet every indication to date has been that he does not want to leave North (God knows why).

Post Thanks / Like

Reality is aside from Goldstein and McEvoy there aren't really any other options worth considering who would provide more than Sweet. We clearly want someone who can play more than just the ruck role. Hickey is one who looks to be changing teams but I wouldn't go near him. We've asked the question of McEvoy. Goldstein looks unobtainable. Aside from Stanley or Blicavs who else could we target?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bulldogsthru&thru View Post
    Reality is aside from Goldstein and McEvoy there aren't really any other options worth considering who would provide more than Sweet. We clearly want someone who can play more than just the ruck role. Hickey is one who looks to be changing teams but I wouldn't go near him. We've asked the question of McEvoy. Goldstein looks unobtainable. Aside from Stanley or Blicavs who else could we target?
    Yeah, there's no obvious option that's easily gettable and that's the disappointing part. We've left our run to trade in a suitable ruck partner for English way too late, the competition has wised up on the importance of the role.
    Our 1954 premiership players are our heroes, and it has to be said that Charlie was their hero.

Post Thanks / Like

Do not want Treloar.

Firstly if we lose Dunkley due to money, and then bring in a player on a bigger contract than him (even if Collingwood subsidise it it is likely to still cost us more than Josh) then that's dumb. Just keep Dunkley. Surely Dunkley stays if you offer him similiar money, imagine leaving us to go to Essendon for any other reason, I can't think of anything more insulting.

The exception to that would be if Treloar offered something vastly different to Dunkley. He doesn't. Sure he is pacier but other than that we are mostly proposing he takes Dunkley's spot in the midfield rotations. Do I need to remind you that Dunkley is apparently not happy that his midfield minutes aren't enough (possibly a bullshit reason but it is true, he probably gets the least midfield minutes out of all our main players)? So why are they suddenly enough for Treloar?

On top of that Dunkley is at least useful elsewhere. He is competent/actually good up forward and much to our lament physical enough to be a stand in ruck on occasion. Treloar is nothing but a mid, meaning that to get the required midfield minutes we need to go back to trying to put Libba on a half forward flank, or sending Bont, our best mid, to spend more time up forward.

I see that we are proposing Treloar could play on a wing. Sure he has some attributes for the role, but hasn't played it for years (if ever I haven't followed his career that closely). If he was as good a winger as he is a mid then he'd spend more time there. Otherwise we are just buying a player to play as a less good version of himself. I mean Macrae spent time on the wing this season with worse results than if he played as a mid, if we bring Treloar in then either Treloar is doing that or Macrae is doing that again.

Also I am happy to bring someone in with a vision that they could excel in a different role, but i certainly don't want to do that with someone on Treloar money. If we are paying that much, why pay it to someone you have to gamble on moving into a different position to work in your lineup. If we grabbed someone on $300K and told him we thought he could be even better elsewhere sure, but to take someone on over double that and gamble on him being elite in that role (which is what he'd need to be to justify that money) is madness.

This extends into who do we even need to recruit? I think we are almost all in agreeance that our areas of need are quick clever forwards, a ruckman who is not Tim English, a key defender who is not Ryan Gardner and a winger who is not Roarke Smith. Even if we lose Dunkley we still have two AA mids, a future AA mid and a should've been AA if not for his knees mid. Our midfield is not our weak point and is not the reason we lose games (well occasionally it is when it gets beaten up but I'm not sure Treloar is the guy to fix that). If we are going to invest the salary cap and trade capital (yes reduced but still) in someone i would rather it be someone who changes our side for the better. Also if we need to replace Dunkley we can grab a competent mid type for stuff all, Dunkley is very good but hasn't been used as our main midfield man all season, if we just need someone who can take a turn in the middle and be ok elsewhere then grab someone for a future 3rd.

Treloar is a good player, I'm not disputing that, and he is a burst mid which would be useful although Bailey Smith is going to be an amazing one at that anyway, but I'm not sure he is a gamechanger for us especially when we have so many other areas in desperate need of attention. Plus he has a poor injury record, is a prime candidate to drop off completely, certainly doesn't help our composure going forward with ball in hand and is literally being forced out of his club against his will which has never been a good sign ever.

I think if we grab him it's more because of the optics (it's ok that we have lost Dunkley because Treloar is just as good)+(getting in a high profile guy is easy to sell as a win and Treloar is probably the cheapest and easiest high profile guy to get for a while) than actually improving our deficiencies.
    I should leave it alone but you're not right

9. Thanks jeemak, GVGjr thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Gotta say, Soupaman is killing it this post season.

11. Thanks soupman thanked for this post
    Likes Dry Rot liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

For rucks why don't we target Bailey Williams from West Coast?

Agile, appears to be decent with ball in hand, great leap, Vic boy, was pick 35 two years ago and has had two years learning with NicNat and twenty other rucks at the Eagles, has played 3 games with decent stats at least and not really in the senior frame behind NicNat and Oscar Allen.

I think he is the guy we throw some money at to try to convince to come over. Sets us up with two super mobile rucks for the next 10 years. Would be a great competitor to have grow with English, and I imagine at most would cost a late teens pick. Could even try and snare Jarrod Brander at the same time who is apparently on the outs and could help give us a promising key defender (I don't actually know much about him so happy to stand corrected).

I think the trick to recruiting ruckmen is to grab them just before they emerge. Reilly O'Brien was talked up as being a sure thing by Adelaide fans two years ago with just 1 game to his name, you grab him then for pick 35 and you're laughing. Bailey Williams could be the next version of that. This very much leans into MJP's thread idea fwiw.
    I should leave it alone but you're not right

13. Likes Mofra, GVGjr liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I would've expected / anticipated that we would've been far further progressed with scouting for an established ruckman to support Tim rather than throwing up possibles so late in the piece. Hopefully as a Club we have been working tirelessly on this need throughout the season rather than leaving it to trade week to pry someone out so late in the piece.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by soupaman View Post

Agile, appears to be decent with ball in hand, great leap, Vic boy, was pick 35 two years ago and has had two years learning with NicNat and twenty other rucks at the Eagles, has played 3 games with decent stats at least and not really in the senior frame behind NicNat and Oscar Allen.

I think he is the guy we throw some money at to try to convince to come over. Sets us up with two super mobile rucks for the next 10 years. Would be a great competitor to have grow with English, and I imagine at most would cost a late teens pick. Could even try and snare Jarrod Brander at the same time who is apparently on the outs and could help give us a promising key defender (I don't actually know much about him so happy to stand corrected).

I think the trick to recruiting ruckmen is to grab them just before they emerge. Reilly O'Brien was talked up as being a sure thing by Adelaide fans two years ago with just 1 game to his name, you grab him then for pick 35 and you're laughing. Bailey Williams could be the next version of that. This very much leans into MJP's thread idea fwiw.
    I don't mind the Williams suggestion (not withstanding the mass confusion 2 Bailey Williams on the list would cause). However he is contracted for 2 more years and I imagine West Coast would not be keen to let him go with Hickey on the way out and Nic Nat not the most durable player going around.

Brander is KP size but has most recently played wing for West Coast I believe. Not sure of his KPD credentials, apparently has played there in the WAFL but was initially touted as a forward. They seem to be struggling to identify his best position.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by soupaman View Post

Nic Nat is already 30, so is Tom Hickey and he's also crap and Nathan Vardy is broken. I can't see it happening personally they'll want a single digit for him and we'll only get that if Dunks goes. Would think that question would be shut down very quickly.
    But then again, I'm an Internet poster and Bevo is a premiership coach so draw your own conclusions.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 1eyedog View Post
    Nic Nat is already 30, so is Tom Hickey and he's also crap and Nathan Vardy is broken. I can't see it happening personally they'll want a single digit for him and we'll only get that if Dunks goes. Would think that question would be shut down very quickly.
    Yep, WC are doing the right thing by developing a young ruckman under the guidance of an experienced one. Why would they give him up and give us a leg up?

Post Thanks / Like

Which Victorian club should consider a last-ditch bid for Adam Treloar?

Victorian clubs are like jackals surrounding wounded prey, wondering if they might secure Adam Treloar at the right price. But where is the best fit?

WESTERN BULLDOGS

Treloar to the Bulldogs makes a heck of a lot of sense.

Tom Boyd’s retirement clears massive cap space and if the Dogs are to lose Josh Dunkley they will need to hit back in a way that doesn’t diminish their list given they were a long way from premiers this year.

Securing a player of Treloar’s calibre makes sense.

For all of the Dogs’ public positioning on Josh Dunkley, Treloar is an upgrade on a player Luke Beveridge often does not play in his midfield.

Ideally you don’t trade a 23-year-old and bring a rising 28-year-old in, but this is the Dogs’ flag window.

If the Dogs could secure pick 7 from Essendon (and something else) for Dunkley, they could split that pick 7 for a mid-teens and a later selection.

They could hand the mid-teens pick to Collingwood for Treloar while retaining later selections.

You never want to lose contracted players but the Dogs could emerge from a tough situation at least looking like winners, especially if Treloar can make an instant impact in a team that didn’t win a final this year.