Thanks Thanks:  83
Likes Likes:  632
Page 8 of 86 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516171858 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: 2020 Player movement

His body must be totally cooked if he's retiring instead of looking for another gig.
    Our 1954 premiership players are our heroes, and it has to be said that Charlie was their hero.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The Bulldogs Bite View Post
    No to Kreuzer even if he didn't retire.

We need somebody who can actually stay on the park.
    I was looking forward to us taking a conservative approach and Matt ticking all the boxes in every single injury report next year.

3. Likes jeemak liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The Bulldogs Bite View Post
    No to Kreuzer even if he didn't retire.

We need somebody who can actually stay on the park.
    I massively rate him at this best and he's always seemed like a pretty good guy - and I would have been keen

Thanks to Elliot and co he has played through one of the darkest periods in CFC history - close to two decades of irrelevance

5. Likes EasternWest liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Grantysghost View Post
    From my point of view he is definitely the best list manager ever.
    Ha ha!!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Axe Man View Post
    Not if he's retired?
    While I think Kreuzer is genuine with his retirement announcement, Ben Hudson retired with us and was quickly talked into playing again. Played for 3 years for 2 more clubs

Kreuzer could be a good coach as well but coaching positions will be scarce across the industry for a year or 2

I think Hudson was placed on a rookie list spot with some ruck coaching duties for Collingwood. With the reduced list size looming for next season this probably closes the door on that sort of option for us
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

8. Likes azabob liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Axe Man View Post
    I was looking forward to us taking a conservative approach and Matt ticking all the boxes in every single injury report next year.
    You were just sharpening your pencil for an addition to the thread that doesn't exist.
    Nobody's looking for a puppeteer in today's wintry economic climate.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post
    While I think Kreuzer is genuine with his retirement announcement, Ben Hudson retired with us and was quickly talked into playing again. Played for 3 years for 2 more clubs

Kreuzer could be a good coach as well but coaching positions will be scarce across the industry for a year or 2

I think Hudson was placed on a rookie list spot with some ruck coaching duties for Collingwood. With the reduced list size looming for next season this probably closes the door on that sort of option for us
    I know you're desperate for another ruck on the list who will never actually play, but Kreuzer is a bridge too far to me and always has been.

Blue skies I get it, intermittent weather it just doesn't hold up. His career has been a real shame because we all know how bloody good he could have been.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jeemak View Post
    I know you're desperate for another ruck on the list who will never actually play, but Kreuzer is a bridge too far to me and always has been.

Blue skies I get it, intermittent weather it just doesn't hold up. His career has been a real shame because we all know how bloody good he could have been.
    I've actually given up on the notion of getting another ruckman because it unlikley happen. We need to work with what we have
    The point I was trying to make was that in previous years you might have been able to attract am older ruckman to your club in a dual role of ruck coach and back up player much like what happened with Ben Hudson

Post Thanks / Like

I've actually given up on the notion of getting another ruckman because it unlikley happen. We need to work with what we have
    The point I was trying to make was that in previous years you might have been able to attract am older ruckman to your club in a dual role of ruck coach and back up player much like what happened with Ben Hudson
    I know mate, I was taking a cheap shot (you probably figured that out by yourself, right).

It's a complete ball breaker conundrum for me, because over the years I have actually agreed with your thinking about rucks and defenders and needing to take more in at trade/ rookie drafts or whatever but I just can't see the point of doing so if they're not going to be played.

We have players on our list who could possibly fill gaps we as supporters see, but it never happens. As a result I figure that unless someone well suited jumps out at us it won't happen.

Sweet in my view, and I say this with limited exposure to his form, has probably not developed to the extent we may have hoped based on what's been publicly said about him. Unless he's going to take a step forward then I don't see the value in putting another junior ruck on the list as we'll just be where we are now, but instead of having one ruck in the wings we'll have two and both won't actually play.

So yes, I'd like to go for a senior ruck who isn't bad around the ground and is OK forward. But who in the competition can play that role that is available, and who can we likely land?

I honestly think the answer is there isn't someone like that who comes at the right price. So, we need to develop who we have and possibly in order to do so we need to get someone in who can coach who we have to be good enough to compete at the highest level.

Post Thanks / Like

If over the years our rucking isn't improving across the group and we're not prepared to bring in new talent, the coaching needs to change so we can get the best results out of who we have.

Post Thanks / Like

If they cut the list sizes down could the AFL open up the long term injury clause so a club can give a player in the second string comp a contract the length of the injury to cover the player that is out.
    Helps in two ways, one it helps the clubs cover season ending losses to players and two it gives a player from the lower comps a chance to maybe get a possible second or third chance to get on a list.
    The AFL could then cut lists even further say to thirty because if injury results in losing a player long term they can top up from the lower leagues.
    Don't piss off old people
    The older we get the less "LIFE IN PRISON" is a deterrent...

Post Thanks / Like

I think the major difference between Kreuzer and Hudson or Luke Hodge is they retired with likely a mutual decision with the club, not because their body resembled that of a road trauma victim.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Hotdog60 View Post
    If they cut the list sizes down could the AFL open up the long term injury clause so a club can give a player in the second string comp a contract the length of the injury to cover the player that is out.
    Helps in two ways, one it helps the clubs cover season ending losses to players and two it gives a player from the lower comps a chance to maybe get a possible second or third chance to get on a list.
    The AFL could then cut lists even further say to thirty because if injury results in losing a player long term they can top up from the lower leagues.
    They did this last season with the mid season draft, although it wasn't exactly used as intended.

Post Thanks / Like

Reintroduce the mid season draft? I think whatever way you look at it we need something to cater for the various list management approaches.

Post Thanks / Like

I think that is a very good idea and I would actually like to see it as some sort of supplementary loss from the players who are already the top ups at the next level down.

Would certainly encourage players to join teams like Footscray with a chance to get some top level exposure.
    Life is to be Enjoyed not Endured