Thanks Thanks:  4
Likes Likes:  32
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: 42 Years, but Plough only wants 30 minutes back

I have fond memories of plough. It didn't end well but that aside he did alot for our club. Like others have said the 97 prelim goes down as the hardest sporting moment for me. At 3/4 time i was planning with a friend how we were going to get grand final tickets. To say i was in a state of shock after the game was an understatement. I sat in my seat for half an hour after the game in disbelief of what had just happened & i would of been the last person to leave the G that day. It really took me months to get over that.

I'm on WOOF because i bleed red, white & blue like all you & like plough i certainly shed a tear or three when we beat the giants. After sitting through so many losing prelims it was more emotional for me beating the giants than the swans the following week. I had no doubt leading in to the GF we would win but those prelim final demons of the past was another story. The best 4 weeks of my life.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jeemak View Post
    Don't start me on that shit show, and the next......we finally got it right in 05....but then don't start me on the shit show that followed that!

If you're a Dogs and national football supporter it was a grim time.
    Lucky enough to be in Sydney for that glorious night when Aloisi slotted that penalty and put those demons to rest. What a special night that was. Easily my biggest sporting highlight until another event just across the road 11 years later. The euphoria of that preliminary final night in Sydney in 2016 will never be matched from a sporting perspective I fear.

3. Likes WBFC4FFC liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

The MCG provided 2 sporting nightmares in 3 months
    The unloseable prelim and the unloseable World Cup qualifier against Iran
    Sporting nightmare

Post Thanks / Like

Two grabs stood out for me in this article.

He carries a candle for the Dogs. The last time he cried, he said, was at the 2016 preliminary final. He was commentating at the game.

“That was more emotional for me than playing in the GF,” he said.
    Listen to the AFL Nation segments of the Octocall of the final siren.

You can hear in Plough's voice how much it means to him.

“The greatest nonsense of all time is that you only have a knowledge of the game because you played at the level. I don‘t believe that at all,” he said.

“Supporters who are really into the game, who follow their own club intimately have got greater knowledge than some of the people who played, without any doubt whatsoever.”

Automatically I thought of guys like GVG, Bornadog, MJP and Twodogs. How great is this forum.

I never thought I'd get over the way Plough's departure panned out, but I'm glad he still held a candle for us and I've well and truly forgiven. The late 90s/early 00s were a damned fun ride to be on, heartbreak and all.

I was thinking the other day about H&A wins we've celebrated like finals wins over the years and several of the ones that came mind had Plough at the helm. It's probably a thread of its own. Another day perhaps.

6. Thanks anfo27 thanked for this post
    Likes bornadog, merantau, Smads57, DOG GOD liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I got to know Terry a few of years back through Facebook ( of all things ) the guy is nowhere near arrogant, didn’t know me from a bar of soap , I mentioned Coon dogs son was umpiring and he put me onto his son Brent’ who had just started umpiring in VFL. Brent took him under his wing with advice if he needed it.
    Later on Terry said his son was umpiring a game at whitten oval (VFL) wasn’t sure how he would be treated by supporters, I told him don’t be silly we respect what you did and I think would love to see you, with that he turned up with his wife and watched the game standing at the front of the cafe stairs, I walked up said hi told him who I was and he introduced me to his wife and we chatted for an hour and I think he was over the moon how many supporters came up and said hello.
    A genuine caring person who just loves the game.
    I’m glad he came back he was put into our hall of fame and he deserves every acollade he gets.
    Just remember their are only two coaches in football, ones who have been sacked and ones who are going to be.
    I wish him the best in all he does , thanks for being a bulldog in hard times.
    Bring back the biff

8. Thanks merantau thanked for this post
    Likes anfo27, Smads57, WBFC4FFC, Mofra liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by angelopetraglia View Post
    I wish we could have those 30 minute again too ... took me months to get over that and then we blew the qualifying match for the Word Cup at the MCG against Iran in November ... two massive leads blown ....
    What let downs they were! I was devastated both times.
    I had a premonition in that Iran game when Harry Kewell did that OTT celebration. I remember thinking immediately: "It's too bloody early for that!" How was I to know that some nutcase was about to throw a spanner in the works - a bastard by the name of Hoare if I remember correctly.
    http://journals.worldnomads.com/merantau
    "It's not about the destination - it's about the trip."

Post Thanks / Like

If you're into nostalgia of the masochistic variety.

https://thenewdaily.com.au/sport/foo...occeroos-iran/
    http://journals.worldnomads.com/merantau
    "It's not about the destination - it's about the trip."

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Remi Moses View Post
    Terry was a great coach for us . Ended terribly,but that’s life
    God I loved 97 ( until you know when ) the ride up the ladder was joyous
    The great start , the slump and the rise again. First time we’d been hated
    Loved it
    People forget in the last quarter of the Prelim in 97 that we kicked the first 5-7 behinds. (I can't recall as I have never watched a replay of that (or the 2016 GF for that matter to be honest)). Libba kicks a goal which gets given a point and our heads drop as if it was not to be.

Plough should not have any regrets in how he coached that last quarter, as circumstances conspired against him and the side. We kick a couple of those, the game and the flag were ours.

If he went defensive in the second half of the Prelim, we would have been overrun. We did not play like that all-year, so there was no need to start parking the bus in the last in the Prelim.

Post Thanks / Like

We kicked 6 pts
    We froze a bit, but we got taken to the cleaners by a brilliant player

Post Thanks / Like

They say that you always remember your first and that it is special.

I got into AFL and supporting the Bulldogs in 1998, so Plough was my first Dog's coach.

Plough will always one of my favourite Dogs coaches of all time. Sure, he never got us a flag, but hell he pulled off some amazing, against the odds home and away victories.

My recollection of the Eade teams is that we would routinely beat teams below us but were not quite good enough to beat one or two teams better than us.

Obviously Bevo pulled off the miracle of the 2016 Final series, but otherwise he has not really pulled off since then the kind of miraculous, against the odds, victories that Plough could pull off.

I will bet that when you read all that you will be thinking that I am talking about the against the odds victory against the Bombers in 2000. But as I have often posted, the most amazing victory in that season in my eyes was a severely undermanned Bulldogs team against the then flying Carlton.

I know what you're all thinking.

Plough had the advantage in that game and from memory in the earlier game that season against Carlton, of having the amazing Trent Bartlett in the forward line. As fate would have it, sadly, neither Eade nor Bevo would have this amazing luxury.

In an alternate universe, just imagine a Dogs forward line of Naughton and Trent Bartlett.

No one would beat us. Ever.
    The fight is here; I need ammunition, not a ride.

14. Likes bornadog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by WBFC4FFC View Post
    People forget in the last quarter of the Prelim in 97 that we kicked the first 5-7 behinds. (I can't recall as I have never watched a replay of that (or the 2016 GF for that matter to be honest)). Libba kicks a goal which gets given a point and our heads drop as if it was not to be.

Plough should not have any regrets in how he coached that last quarter, as circumstances conspired against him and the side. We kick a couple of those, the game and the flag were ours.

If he went defensive in the second half of the Prelim, we would have been overrun. We did not play like that all-year, so there was no need to start parking the bus in the last in the Prelim.
    Mark West. Huddo and Granty..... the horror.

Post Thanks / Like

I still think his tenure at the Bulldogs as coach helped change our mentality from "survival is good enough" to "we can compete".
    Western Bulldogs: 2016 Premiers

17. Likes Dry Rot, DOG GOD, WBFC4FFC liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Remi Moses View Post
    We kicked 6 pts
    We froze a bit, but we got taken to the cleaners by a brilliant player
    I think I read somewhere that the final quarter of the 1997 prelim was our only goal less quarter of the season. So Bulldog.