Thanks Thanks:  15
Likes Likes:  58
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

The persecution of Robert Muir is the story football doesn't want to hear

Read the full story here

If this story doesn't get you teary eyed, nothing will.

I remember watching Robert in the 80's and he was a scary man, always angry, but I never thought for one moment its was because he was being racially abused.

Reading this excellent article on Robert, I feel so ashamed of people treating someone like the way he was treated, and no doubt many indigenous people.

St Kilda really should be reading this article and bringing Robert back into the fold. It seems they never treated him well either.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: The persecution of Robert Muir is the story football doesn't want to hear

Shattering read. Actually had to stop and compose myself after that bit about his appearance on the Footy Show.

We obviously don't have fans showering players with spit and bottles anymore, but when there are commentators talking about predominantly indigenous crowds as if they're cavepeople and others refusing to even to attempt to pronounce Changkuoth Jiath's name, then there is obviously still a lot of work to be done.
    - I'm a visionary - Only here to confirm my biases -

Post Thanks / Like

The Saints have now come out with this:

On a weekend where we celebrate aboriginal culture and the contribution indigenous players have made to the game, we must face the reality that the St Kilda Football Club, and the football community in general, have made grave errors in the past...
    and may still be failing to grasp the full impact of the hurt and harm felt by individuals, their families and all Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people.

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Appalling to read so graphically that he was racially vilified and the troubles he has encountered over the journey but it doesn't surprise me.
    He was an exceptionally talented player but some of his acts on the field were very poor as well

I wish him all the best
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

Post Thanks / Like

Go Fund me page for anyone interested:

https://www.gofundme.com/f/saints-fans-for-robert-muir

6. Likes BornInDroopSt'54 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Yeah that footy show 'stunt'. Reading that was infuriating. What empty heartless selfish people to do such a thing.

8. Likes Testekill liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I found the story so sad. So much damage, so much to push against and fight against your whole life. I always wondered what he had to endure as a player and as a human. We all missed out on the best of Robert Muir. Himself included. His childhood story sounds so brutal and tragic.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Dancin' Douggy View Post
    Yeah that footy show 'stunt'. Reading that was infuriating. What empty heartless selfish people to do such a thing.
    Typical of a show that wanted to create a headline at whatever cost.

11. Likes Raw Toast liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Great article and the right time for it to be written. I hope Robert’s life is changed for the better now that light has been shed on the trauma he has suffered.

Being from Ballarat, I really hope the clubs he was involved with reach out and make things right with him. It sounds like it’d mean a lot.
    Our 1954 premiership players are our heroes, and it has to be said that Charlie was their hero.

Post Thanks / Like

Such an eye opening story, shining a light on a history the AFL would prefer to remain unmentioned.

It's unimaginable to me the torment he's felt over the years, always feeling as if he's being kicked in the guts.
    Nobody's looking for a puppeteer in today's wintry economic climate.

Post Thanks / Like

What was Muir like as a player?
    The fight is here; I need ammunition, not a ride.

Post Thanks / Like

By way of silver linings ... St. Kilda Club statement: Robert Muir
    BORDERLINE FLYING

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Rocket Science View Post
    By way of silver linings ... St. Kilda Club statement: Robert Muir
    Well done to the Saints, but you have to ask why has it taken so long.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Dry Rot View Post
    What was Muir like as a player?
    Damaging player, quick with plenty of endurance. Tough as well

18. Thanks Dry Rot thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

As a kid growing up watching the replays all I saw was cherry picked footage of him being overtly aggressive. The famous incident seen right throughout my younger days, where he turned and punched Dennis Collins, then had a crack at the crowd. Little did I know at that age the level of abuse he had endured to reach those breaking points. Certainly not acceptable his actions but balanced against the unrelenting abuse you can certainly understand them. Brilliant article one of the most enlightening I've read.

20. Likes Topdog, Raw Toast liked this post