Thanks Thanks:  15
Likes Likes:  58
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: The persecution of Robert Muir is the story football doesn't want to hear

Quote Originally Posted by Ozza View Post
    I think perhaps I didn't communicate this effectively - but I was certainly trying to say that St Kilda were significantly at fault - but I was also saying we shouldn't look down our noses at St Kilda without looking in our own backyard where it is clear that Footscray and all other clubs were likely very poor in this regard.

I wasn't excusing St Kilda - quite the opposite - was saying that the treatment of indigenous players in footy was appalling across the board - and that it wasn't a St Kilda issue exclusively, it was an all clubs issue.
    I dare say this might open the flood gates for other indigenous players to come forward and tell their stories.
    Our 1954 premiership players are our heroes, and it has to be said that Charlie was their hero.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by comrade View Post
    I dare say this might open the flood gates for other indigenous players to come forward and tell their stories.
    Absolutely.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ozza View Post
    I think perhaps I didn't communicate this effectively - but I was certainly trying to say that St Kilda were significantly at fault - but I was also saying we shouldn't look down our noses at St Kilda without looking in our own backyard where it is clear that Footscray and all other clubs were likely very poor in this regard.

I wasn't excusing St Kilda - quite the opposite - was saying that the treatment of indigenous players in footy was appalling across the board - and that it wasn't a St Kilda issue exclusively, it was an all clubs issue.
    Agree - No probs, I understood.

I just hope if there are any cases like this at our club, that we would do the right thing.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    Agree - No probs, I understood.

I just hope if there are any cases like this at our club, that we would do the right thing.
    We all know about McLean and Bamblett in the 80s, was Charlie Stewart in 1961 our only indigenous player prior to that?

Magic spoke about some of the racism he faced in the recent podcast, I wonder how Stewart was treated back then?

Kevin Sheedy actually mentioned Charlie on the Front Bar last week.

Post Thanks / Like

Go Fund me page for anyone interested:

https://www.gofundme.com/f/saints-fans-for-robert-muir
    Brilliant result, they've raised enough for his shoulder op!
    That article may be enough to turn Robert's life around. It has started some balancing recognition of matters behind Robert's angry on-field behaviour. He was a brilliant footballer with mental health issues.
    Now he can feel that the "Mad Dog" tag was not representative of the silent majority and he has the funds for his overdue surgery to prove it.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Axe Man View Post
    We all know about McLean and Bamblett in the 80s, was Charlie Stewart in 1961 our only indigenous player prior to that?

Magic spoke about some of the racism he faced in the recent podcast, I wonder how Stewart was treated back then?

Kevin Sheedy actually mentioned Charlie on the Front Bar last week.
    100% Charlie would have copped it. I know guys like Georgie Bissett did and his ethnic background is Italian

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BornInDroopSt'54 View Post
    Brilliant result, they've raised enough for his shoulder op!
    and way more to help him out in his retirement.

Post Thanks / Like

100% Charlie would have copped it. I know guys like Georgie Bissett did and his ethnic background is Italian
    No doubt he would have back in those days, I just wondered how bad it was.

Libba and Romero also experienced it as mentioned by McLean in the podcast. My mum and her sisters also faced it as kids being from an Italian family.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Axe Man View Post
    No doubt he would have back in those days, I just wondered how bad it was.

Libba and Romero also experienced it as mentioned by McLean in the podcast. My mum and her sisters also faced it as kids being from an Italian family.
    My parents came to Australia in 1951, from Europe so he would have copped it. My father n ever said he did, but yeah, no doubt.

We were brought up in Footscray and then moved to West Sunshine when I was around 6 in the 60's. The area was mainly made up of new migrants, and we looked after each other. No one dared to call us wogs

Post Thanks / Like

My parents came to Australia in 1951, from Europe so he would have copped it. My father n ever said he did, but yeah, no doubt.

We were brought up in Footscray and then moved to West Sunshine when I was around 6 in the 60's. The area was mainly made up of new migrants, and we looked after each other. No one dared to call us wogs
    My dad grew up in Sunshine and arrived with my Grandparents in 1950 from Scotland and was in the minority as an anglo kid.

Mum's family was in country Victoria and although there was a significant Italian community they were clearly a minority and subject to deep set prejudices in those days.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post
    Damaging player, quick with plenty of endurance. Tough as well
    Similar to any particular current player(s)?
    The fight is here; I need ammunition, not a ride.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Dry Rot View Post
    Similar to any particular current player(s)?
    Hard to say, he was an intense type. Let me give it some thought but perhaps a Heath Shaw type but just a lot more intense and tough
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

13. Thanks Dry Rot thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Sedat View Post
    A very sad, harrowing read. I don't think anybody in the football industry comes out of this well.

Whilst I understand the anger and commentary towards the low hanging fruit of The Footy Show, it is one regrettable 5 minute sketch in 66 years of Robert Muir's life. I feel so much more anger at his father. A person who should be a source of love, comfort, learning, nurturing and inspiration to a child was nothing but a cancerous, destructive influence on his own blood and sowed the seeds of a life unfulfilled and short of love and support.

I also think the St Kilda footy club and VFL/AFL head office have shown no interest in the long term welfare of one of their own and come out of this extremely poorly. Frankly the apologies that have started coming today are pithy, shallow and meaningless - the damage has been well and truly done, and for many years without the slightest hint of interest in him and his story.
    This. The article mentioned Muir reached out to the saints only a couple of years ago and was ignored. It's taken an article for them to even take notice. Look I think the initial response was a good start but you have to keep asking why it takes things like this for people to not only apologise and admit error but to actually give a f**k. The fact Muir wasn't even on their radar up until now is downright cruel.

15. Likes bornadog, Sedat liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bulldogsthru&thru View Post
    This. The article mentioned Muir reached out to the saints only a couple of years ago and was ignored. It's taken an article for them to even take notice. Look I think the initial response was a good start but you have to keep asking why it takes things like this for people to not only apologise and admit error but to actually give a f**k. The fact Muir wasn't even on their radar up until now is downright cruel.
    Yeah no credit for doing the right thing after it becomes a big deal when you knew about it before and did nothing.

17. Likes bulldogsthru&thru liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Now Woodville Torrens has come out: