Thanks Thanks:  15
Likes Likes:  58
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: The persecution of Robert Muir is the story football doesn't want to hear

Quote Originally Posted by BornInDroopSt'54 View Post
    Brilliant result, they've raised enough for his shoulder op!
    That article may be enough to turn Robert's life around. It has started some balancing recognition of matters behind Robert's angry on-field behaviour. He was a brilliant footballer with mental health issues.
    Now he can feel that the "Mad Dog" tag was not representative of the silent majority and he has the funds for his overdue surgery to prove it.
    It’s now raised over 100k

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bulldogsthru&thru View Post
    Do people definitely pay up on these things? Ergo what percentage might give for the feels and then not have the cash. I’m cynical so hope that’s a true figure.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Grantysghost View Post
    Do people definitely pay up on these things? Ergo what percentage might give for the feels and then not have the cash. I’m cynical so hope that’s a true figure.
    You have to pay as you donate, ie input credit card details, so yes that is a true figure.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

4. Thanks Grantysghost thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bulldogsthru&thru View Post
    I went to the page and was going to chip in, but they've closed it after it raised $112k. Why?

This from the page:

"We are completely blown away. With your support, we’ve raised over $110,000 in 24 hours to help Robert cover the costs of his shoulder surgery. We honestly thought it might take us a couple of weeks to raise $28,000, we never expected to raise anything like this incredible amount, and so quickly.

Not only have Australians from every state and territory donated, but people across the world have dug deep in support of Robert. We never anticipated this response so thank you to each and every one of you.

As this fundraiser has far exceeded our expectations, we’re now closing the page and are working directly with GoFundMe to ensure all funds reach Robert directly. GoFundMe and I are in direct contact with Robert's family.

Once again, thank you all for your incredible generosity!"

I don't understand this. Why not leave the page open until the donations drop off? People can clearly see the figure raised so far, if they want to continue to donate why stop them?

Post Thanks / Like

Incredibly harrowing story
    Robert Muir was exceptionally talented
    Quick and skillful like a lot of the wingman at the time
    All you ever see was the hit on Dennis Collins ( which I think he missed him) and the short fuse
    Racism was rampant through the 80’s in the terraces as well
    I never engaged in it but regrettably did nothing when I heard it

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The Adelaide Connection View Post

I don't understand this. Why not leave the page open until the donations drop off? People can clearly see the figure raised so far, if they want to continue to donate why stop them?
    Pretty much all of them cut themselves off once the goal is surpassed comfortably regardless of whether there is the possibility of more coming.

I think it's more the mentality that by having a "goal" amount it means that is how much they need to be able to do what they need to do, and any more is bonus money. At a certain point collecting more is less about people being nice and more about you being greedy and making yourself an actual ongoing charity instead of someone going through a hard time.

Think of it kind of like asking your mate if they can shout you lunch, so they give you $20. Then they say actually take another $5, and another $5, and another $5 etc. How long to you just indefinitely take their money even though you only need $20, and even if they can afford to just keep giving you money?

Also I think from the website pov it's better to present as a vessel to help out people in need through crowdsourcing rather than making it purely a get rich quick scheme. By keeping a semblence of integrity to it it means more people are willing to donate if they think they are less likely to just be taken advantage of.

Thats how I've always interpreted it at least.
    I should leave it alone but you're not right

8. Thanks merantau thanked for this post
    Likes Topdog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    You have to pay as you donate, ie input credit card details, so yes that is a true figure.
    Correct. And the administration fee is paid separately at the time of donation - so your transaction might be, say, $105 - but only the $100 going towards the actual cause shows up on the donations page.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by soupaman View Post
    Pretty much all of them cut themselves off once the goal is surpassed comfortably regardless of whether there is the possibility of more coming.

I think it's more the mentality that by having a "goal" amount it means that is how much they need to be able to do what they need to do, and any more is bonus money. At a certain point collecting more is less about people being nice and more about you being greedy and making yourself an actual ongoing charity instead of someone going through a hard time.

Think of it kind of like asking your mate if they can shout you lunch, so they give you $20. Then they say actually take another $5, and another $5, and another $5 etc. How long to you just indefinitely take their money even though you only need $20, and even if they can afford to just keep giving you money?

Also I think from the website pov it's better to present as a vessel to help out people in need through crowdsourcing rather than making it purely a get rich quick scheme. By keeping a semblence of integrity to it it means more people are willing to donate if they think they are less likely to just be taken advantage of.

Thats how I've always interpreted it at least.
    I think there would be an issue if the figure was misrepresented or hidden, but it is transparent and really can’t be missed. It’s impossible to put a price on the injustices he has suffered, but the article and media around it are still fresh so I think people should be given the opportunity to head along and decide whether they do/don’t want to contribute.

$100k will certainly be life changing to a bloke that couldn’t afford $25 to pay his past players club fee and needs surgery, but I would be thrilled for him if that figure doubled, tripled or whatever.

Quite often the person setting up the page will set a target and keep adjusting it when the initial goal was reached (which I believe was the case here, from an initial target of $28k). The person setting up the page has done a really great thing so I don’t want to be too critical, but I don’t think it is for them to decide when the amount reached is enough. I would hope that the only reason a halt was put on would be at the wishes of Robert himself.

Post Thanks / Like

Post Thanks / Like

I think there would be an issue if the figure was misrepresented or hidden, but it is transparent and really can’t be missed. It’s impossible to put a price on the injustices he has suffered, but the article and media around it are still fresh so I think people should be given the opportunity to head along and decide whether they do/don’t want to contribute.

$100k will certainly be life changing to a bloke that couldn’t afford $25 to pay his past players club fee and needs surgery, but I would be thrilled for him if that figure doubled, tripled or whatever.

Quite often the person setting up the page will set a target and keep adjusting it when the initial goal was reached (which I believe was the case here, from an initial target of $28k). The person setting up the page has done a really great thing so I don’t want to be too critical, but I don’t think it is for them to decide when the amount reached is enough. I would hope that the only reason a halt was put on would be at the wishes of Robert himself.
    I think they money doesnt get to the recipient until the fundraiser is closed.

I can certainly see both sides of the debate but I would think that getting an extra 300% is a good point to shut it down.

Post Thanks / Like

I would hope that the only reason a halt was put on would be at the wishes of Robert himself.
    Based on the statement released via the AFL website, it sounds like this may be the case.
    Our 1954 premiership players are our heroes, and it has to be said that Charlie was their hero.

14. Likes The Adelaide Connection liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Topdog View Post
    I think they money doesnt get to the recipient until the fundraiser is closed.

I can certainly see both sides of the debate but I would think that getting an extra 300% is a good point to shut it down.
    They have more than addressed the reason for the fund raiser. Getting the money to Muir quickly is the best option
    It's unreal that we have the facility like this to rally the troops and address the issue at hand so quickly

Hopefully this reinforces to Muir the belief that he isn't on his own
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

16. Likes Topdog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post
    They have more than addressed the reason for the fund raiser. Getting the money to Muir quickly is the best option
    It's unreal that we have the facility like this to rally the troops and address the issue at hand so quickly

Hopefully this reinforces to Muir the belief that he isn't on his own
    I'm sure there has been a few 'GoFundMe' campaigns that haven't been like this...however, this is a great example of how great GoFundMe can be and how generous people are.
    As another example, a bloke from the year level above me at High School passed away recently, and left behind a pregnant wife and 2 kids - and one of his mates started a Go Fund me to raise $20K to help the family with expenses. It has reached $70K in quick time which is fantastic.

Post Thanks / Like

Update from Gofundme

TODAYby Mal Padgett, Organizer
    Catherine and I have been thrilled to see how keen everyone has been to support Robbie after his story was revealed last Sunday.

In order to sort the administration side of things and get the funds to him sooner rather than later, we decided to close off the GoFundMe page and get the ball rolling. Today we received news the money has been transferred which is wonderful news. What a difference a week makes!

Many people still want to contribute. We contacted the club to work out a way to facilitate this and they said that anyone who would like to do so can contact Robbie at the email address in his press release from yesterday: robert.muir@saints.com.au

What an amazing group of people you all are! We are humbled to have been a part of this outsanding joint effort.

Fortius Quo Fidelius
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

For those interested,

A colleague and I wrote about Muir and the systemic racism in the AFL and associated media industry here.
    Although it broke our hearts it did not break our will

20. Thanks Rocket Science, jeemak, Murphy'sLore thanked for this post