Thanks Thanks:  12
Likes Likes:  165
Page 10 of 24 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617181920 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Assistant coaches merry go round

Quote Originally Posted by jeemak View Post
    Is that a serious question G?

I would say when you turn over a huge part of your list, including premiership players, for all sorts of reasons and then play young players recently acquired and fiddle around with positions of players suggests you're rebuilding.

As far as what type of rebuild it is, I don't know, a moderately successful one in which when it's been happening we've made finals twice - but haven't performed well when we did.

No club is allowed to say they're rebuilding anymore. Remember what happened when we had a "reset"? Then a slight rebuild? It's clear to me what's happening, and whether I agree with why it is happening it is, and I'm OK with the narrative coming out of the club this past year or so suggesting we want to get better quickly - you know - after basically saying we're rebuilding anyway.
    Serious question for sure
    When you see what North have done, it's clear they're in a rebuild mode. When you see Geelong topping up on ready made players and in a way avoiding the draft you can see they're in a contending mode. Port had tried to recruit senior players but found a better result with a push towards youth. Richmond have been hugely successful with a combination of systems based football and a good old smattering of star players. GWS have found that attracting the best young talent doesn't quite work and Collingwood has found that back ending contracts to create space in the salary cap eventually catches up with you. Brisbane seem to have a nice blend of experienced and younger players that is working for them and the Saints added some experience, a new coach who doesn't mind using taggers worked for them

It's not clear to me what we are doing about turning finals appearances into finals wins so if it's a rebuild it's ever so subtle

Post Thanks / Like

You're kind of answering that question in the first half of your post though, aren't you?
    Yes I guess I am.
    But then again, I'm an Internet poster and Bevo is a premiership coach so draw your own conclusions.

Post Thanks / Like

Is that a serious question G?

I would say when you turn over a huge part of your list, including premiership players, for all sorts of reasons and then play young players recently acquired and fiddle around with positions of players suggests you're rebuilding.

As far as what type of rebuild it is, I don't know, a moderately successful one in which when it's been happening we've made finals twice - but haven't performed well when we did.

No club is allowed to say they're rebuilding anymore. Remember what happened when we had a "reset"? Then a slight rebuild? It's clear to me what's happening, and whether I agree with why it is happening it is, and I'm OK with the narrative coming out of the club this past year or so suggesting we want to get better quickly - you know - after basically saying we're rebuilding anyway.
    I agree it has been a rebuild of sorts because we lost so much experience after the premiership and we were left with young players. Our issue was the middle aged players, ie the 25 to 29 were either not good enough, or there just wasn't enough of them. With Morris, Murphy, Moyd, Picken all gone and delistings and retirements of 10 premiership players - what else could we do?
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    I agree it has been a rebuild of sorts because we lost so much experience after the premiership and we were left with young players. Our issue was the middle aged players, ie the 25 to 29 were either not good enough, or there just wasn't enough of them. With Morris, Murphy, Moyd, Picken all gone and delistings and retirements of 10 premiership players - what else could we do?
    Sadly history has a habit of repeating itself. We fell away after our ‘54 flag and again after our GF appearance in ‘61. The loss of Morris MBoyd and Picken as you rightly identified has left us short of on field leadership.

Post Thanks / Like

Honest question, do you think we've been rebuilding the last few years?
    I agree that there has been a rebuild, but question the necessity.

We have moved on Roughead, who has shown he can fill an area of need and it appears that the biggest issue was simply how he was rated by those in charge.

We recruited Trengove and the MC quickly fell out of love with him.

We let go or moved on a few others for different reasons and we seemed determined to be as young as we could be for much of the last 4 seasons. We also appear to put a few players on a never to be played list quite quickly, even when they have attributes otherwise lacking on the list.

Any rebuild has been our choice and I firmly believe we have seriously under achieved since 2016.
    Life is to be Enjoyed not Endured

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bulldog Joe View Post
    I agree that there has been a rebuild, but question the necessity.

We have moved on Roughead, who has shown he can fill an area of need and it appears that the biggest issue was simply how he was rated by those in charge.

We recruited Trengove and the MC quickly fell out of love with him.

We let go or moved on a few others for different reasons and we seemed determined to be as young as we could be for much of the last 4 seasons. We also appear to put a few players on a never to be played list quite quickly, even when they have attributes otherwise lacking on the list.

Any rebuild has been our choice and I firmly believe we have seriously under achieved since 2016.
    Well, T Boyd, M Boyd, Murph, Morris, Picken, Libba knee, C Smith... a lot hasn’t really gone our way either.

Roughead call I agree was made too quickly and I wonder if in hindsight it’s one the list management team regret.

Post Thanks / Like

Interesting

Port Adelaide premiership coach Mark Williams will join Melbourne as head of player development in 2021.

The veteran coach has been coaching Werribee in the VFL.

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Interesting
    Bit of movement there as Josh Mahoney has left Melbourne to head up Essendon's footy department. Alan Richardson was the director of coaching but they moved him into a dual role with Mahoney. Musical chairs.

Post Thanks / Like

Interesting
    It's fantastic he is not lost to the AFL.
    I'm a bit of a fan of Williams

10. Thanks Happy Days thanked for this post
    Likes MrMahatma liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Axe Man View Post
    Bit of movement there as Josh Mahoney has left Melbourne to head up Essendon's footy department. Alan Richardson was the director of coaching but they moved him into a dual role with Mahoney. Musical chairs.
    I was really surprised they ever hired Richardson

Post Thanks / Like

Post Thanks / Like

Interesting appointment. I am very surprised.
    More of an In Bruges guy?

Post Thanks / Like

He's got such a great reputation in that area. Like Aza, I'm a but surprised but only because it's happened so quickly
    Another good appointment for the Suns
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

Post Thanks / Like

Dean Solomon and some of the other coaches boned by the suns in Covid cost cutting measures must be shaking their heads that they could go out and sign Shaw. Also nice of the AFL to continue to pick up the tab.

16. Likes Dry Rot liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Agree on the loss of too many experienced Premiership players has put a severe dent on our on field leadership.
    We still lack class in defence and attack IMO with an over emphasis on extending our midfield division. Martin although a bit late in happening will provide a much stronger ruck division allowing English to spend more time forward were his versatility will be welcomed.

18. Likes bornadog liked this post