Thanks Thanks:  12
Likes Likes:  165
Page 22 of 24 FirstFirst ... 12131415161718192021222324 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Assistant coaches merry go round

Quote Originally Posted by SquirrelGrip View Post
    Shame we didn't get him.
    Why? Eddie seems like a great bloke but how would we know if he would be a good coach anymore than any other recently retired player?

I always find it strange that people have opinions about assistants seemingly without any real insight into their coaching ability.

2. Likes 1eyedog, jeemak liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Axe Man View Post
    Why? Eddie seems like a great bloke but how would we know if he would be a good coach anymore than any other recently retired player?

I always find it strange that people have opinions about assistants seemingly without any real insight into their coaching ability.
    Its a reasonable point, good guy doesn’t necessarily equal good coach.

You’d expect the Cats to have some idea though so I guess we can assume he has some ability in the field.

Post Thanks / Like

https://www.westernbulldogs.com.au/n...s-the-bulldogs

Experienced assistant coach Ash Hansen will depart the Western Bulldogs to take up an opportunity with the Carlton Football Club.

Hansen moves on VU Whitten Oval having left a lasting impression on the playing group for nearly a decade, across multiple areas of coaching.
    “It’s with a heavy heart that I leave the Bulldogs, after a memorable nine seasons,” Hansen said.
    “I want to thank everyone at the Club, in particular Bevo and the other coaches I’ve worked so closely with, for their wonderful support and friendship during my time here.
    “Those friendships will remain and I’m extremely grateful and proud of what we’ve been able to achieve together.
    “The time has come for me to try a new challenge in my coaching journey, and I wish everyone at the Bulldogs success and happiness in the years to come.”
    After a 78-game career as a Premiership player with the West Coast Eagles, Hansen joined the Bulldogs ahead of the 2013 season.
    He began as development coach in 2013-14, before becoming Footscray’s senior coach for 2015-16, leading the team to the VFL premiership in 2016.
    He moved into the AFL assistant coaching space ahead of the 2017 season and has overseen the Bulldogs’ forwards for the past five seasons.
    “Ash has been a loyal, dedicated and extremely talented member of our coaching ranks for an extended period, and we’re grateful for his contribution to the Club,” said Bulldogs’ senior coach Luke Beveridge.
    “We’re disappointed to lose someone like Ash, but we understand his want to build on his coaching experience.
    “Good people help make great organisations, and we’re thankful to Ash for all of his hard work and commitment to the Bulldogs.”
    The Bulldogs now have vacancies for two assistant coaching roles to add to its football department for the 2022 season.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bulldog Revolution View Post
    Thats an underwhelming outcome
    Why is that underwhelming to you? Genuinely interested in the reasons. I would have no idea at all how they'd be as assistant coaches, but both seem to have good character.

Post Thanks / Like

Aren't both King and Hansen vestiges of the Macca era? I can't remember and I'm too busy to look it up but maybe this provides a clean canvas for Bevo to get in two coaches who he knows and works well with. I'm not saying he didn't work well with King and Hansen we made two Grand Finals with them but is it a case of Bevo adapting to what was available rather than having free reign in the decision making process.

Could this be a good thing?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by SquirrelGrip View Post
    Eddie Betts will join Geelong as part of their coaching staff next season, according to Matthew Lloyd.

colorful space wallpaper

Shame we didn't get him.
    I'm not really up for a freshy if we were going with a 'players' assistant coach I'd be going with Dale Morris everyday. I know it's a bias in-club thing but everyone loves and would play for Dale and he is uncompromising.

8. Likes SquirrelGrip liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 1eyedog View Post
    I'm not really up for a freshy if we were going with a 'players' assistant coach I'd be going with Dale Morris everyday. I know it's a bias in-club thing but everyone loves and would play for Dale and he is uncompromising.
    You might be on to something there.

Matthew Boyd would also be a good get.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 1eyedog View Post
    Fair chance that happens but Morris was deemed a development coach before Covid and over the last 2 years he's been a coterie manager. He just might not have the runs on the board.

We should try and get M.Boyd back
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post
    Fair chance that happens but Morris was deemed a development coach before Covid and over the last 2 years he's been a coterie manager. He just might not have the runs on the board.

Dealing with us idiots is surely runs on the board

Post Thanks / Like

Promote Smith to senior
    Bring back Joel Corey and let him take care of the midfield
    Bring in Barry Hall to take care of the forward line

I'd be happy with that.
    "Its always good to win the Ashes test match'' - Libba, AFL Grand Final, 2016

Post Thanks / Like

Given he just moved his family over there, and with Bobby Murphy going over there, do you think the timing might not suit?
    I'd have Boyd back in a heartbeat. He's been at two clubs now, and definitely has enough external experience, but just reckon the planets haven't aligned correctly for this to occur right now.

14. Likes GVGjr liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Vred View Post
    Apparently we've approached Barry Hall for a forward line coaching gig..
    the boxing gear will be getting a fair thrashing...
    You don't develop courage by being happy in your relationships every day. You develop it by surviving difficult times and challenging adversity. ― Epicurus

16. Likes Vred liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ozza View Post
    Why is that underwhelming to you? Genuinely interested in the reasons. I would have no idea at all how they'd be as assistant coaches, but both seem to have good character.
    Maybe they are good coaches, and maybe Im being unfair, but nothing they've ever said publicly as coaches has in anyway has impressed me. And perhaps Im overly and unfairly attributing lack of team success/ team dysfunction to them.

Hart felt like a yes man appointment for Bucks early on, and Barker has just never impressed me as a coach

Id be more inclined to look at VFL/WAFL/SANFL coaches than those guys

I always liked Nathan Bassett who has coached SANFL and been in a few AFL programs

Post Thanks / Like

Tough time to get someone to move from glorious Perth weather to lockdown Melbourne

Post Thanks / Like

Adam Kingsley would have to be up there in the reckoning.

Highly regarded, just missed a couple of senior gigs and been at the Tigers in a successful program.

Have to be having that conversation as part of our due diligence.

20. Likes Bulldog Revolution, Raw Toast liked this post