Thanks Thanks:  12
Likes Likes:  165
Page 6 of 24 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Assistant coaches merry go round

Quote Originally Posted by The Bulldogs Bite View Post
    No idea how good Russell is or isn't, but it's disappointing we didn't even survey the rest of the field.

We really need some fresh ideas and voices.
    With all the coaching movements across the league, I'm sure we did our due dilligence and looked at plenty of different coaches to ensure we chose the best option...
    Our 1954 premiership players are our heroes, and it has to be said that Charlie was their hero.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Happy Days View Post
    Was always gonna be $1.03 on Sportsbet lol
    I will never see #16 the same!!

3. Likes bornadog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The Bulldogs Bite View Post
    No idea how good Russell is or isn't, but it's disappointing we didn't even survey the rest of the field.

We really need some fresh ideas and voices.
    While I would have liked us to have canvassed some other options the club clearly knew Gia was talking to Essendon and had their contingencies in place. Russell has to implement Bevo's game plan and develop the youngsters and is well placed to do so

When was the last time a former captain of Footscray ended up coaching them?

Where is Twodogs when you need him?
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post
    While I would have liked us to have canvassed some other options the club clearly knew Gia was talking to Essendon and had their contingencies in place. Russell has to implement Bevo's game plan and develop the youngsters and is well placed to do so

Russell is like having a new coach anyhow. Previously he worked in player development and never got to implement some of his ideas. Of course he would have to follow Bevo's coaching, but pretty sure when he is coaching his own team, he will have ideas that he can bounce off Bevo.

As far as other roles, I am doubting we will make any other changes, but would be prudent to at least bring in one new assistant with some new ideas.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by azabob View Post
    I reckon Russell would see coaching the VFL team a great opportunity.
    He clearly did!

7. Likes azabob liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    Russell is like having a new coach anyhow.
    Nah not really. Sure he may have a few ideas that may get some more attention, but i doubt he has a big say in changes to our senior side.

This was a huge opportunity to do what we have needed to do for years, get fresh voices with experience elsewhere into the club, instead we appear to have made no effort to change up the status quo, even though it's seen us make minimal progress for 4 seasons now.
    I should leave it alone but you're not right

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by soupaman View Post
    Nah not really. Sure he may have a few ideas that may get some more attention, but i doubt he has a big say in changes to our senior side.

This was a huge opportunity to do what we have needed to do for years, get fresh voices with experience elsewhere into the club, instead we appear to have made no effort to change up the status quo, even though it's seen us make minimal progress for 4 seasons now.
    He would also largely have ideas from his time at Footscray/WBD. Not exactly bringing a perspective from outside the club

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by hujsh View Post
    He would also largely have ideas from his time at Footscray/WBD. Not exactly bringing a perspective from outside the club
    Still a big change from Development coach to coaching your own team.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Well maybe he's highly rated and we thought he was the best...….but I wouldn't think that would have been on the back of any real testing of the market or trying to pry someone loose.

I guess all we can hope for is a couple of others to get poached in order to force our hand because we need a shake-up. Whilst I understand the sentiment in making sure as many people we did have employed get re-employed if possible, we've still got to improve and get better results.
    Nobody's looking for a puppeteer in today's wintry economic climate.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jeemak View Post
    Well maybe he's highly rated and we thought he was the best...….but I wouldn't think that would have been on the back of any real testing of the market or trying to pry someone loose.

I guess all we can hope for is a couple of others to get poached in order to force our hand because we need a shake-up. Whilst I understand the sentiment in making sure as many people we did have employed get re-employed if possible, we've still got to improve and get better results.
    Like our list management at times it has more a vibe of doing everything we can to be a nice guy and employer instead of doing everything we can to win.
    I should leave it alone but you're not right

13. Likes DOG GOD liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

He was rated extremely highly at the club from the moment he got to us.
    I think we are under rating him on here.
    His record tells you he is a winner and obviously knows a lot about the game , he also has a head start as he knows how we operate, game plans and players
    I think it’s a great appointment.
    Bring back the biff

15. Likes WBFC4FFC liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Gia leaving I think it was needed , not a fan of a player / coach only ever being at one club.
    He personally will be better off seeing how other clubs work, go away learn the trade with different clubs and it will open his options.
    Let’s face it we know he wants a senior role and we aren’t releasing Bevo anytime soon.
    Bombers or North would be the best options niether have got a solid senior coach, chance to show them his wares and maybe get a gig if it arises.
    Bring back the biff

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ledge View Post
    He was rated extremely highly at the club from the moment he got to us.
    I think we are under rating him on here.
    His record tells you he is a winner and obviously knows a lot about the game , he also has a head start as he knows how we operate, game plans and players
    I think it’s a great appointment.
    Bevo is consistent too in showing loyalty if it has been earned.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post

In terms of captains going on to coach the club believe it or not it was EJ! In terms of players apart from Bevo it was Terry Walace and before him it was Terry Wheeler and before him Bluey Hampshire.
    Have you been reading those Roddy Doyle books again, Dougal!?

I have, yeah Ted, you big gobshite

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Twodogs View Post
    In terms of captains going on to coach the club believe it or not it was EJ! In terms of players apart from Bevo it was Terry Walace and before him it was Terry Wheeler and before him Bluey Hampshire.

Actually I'm wrong. Technically both Sutton and Whitten were captain coaches who didn't captain the club before they were appointed as captain coach. As far as I can make out the last man who captained the club and then went on to coach us was Alan Hopkins! Hopkins captained us in 1927/8 but another bloke (Paddy Scanlan) confusingly was playing coach but not captain. Hopkins then captain coaches us in 1930. So 90 years ago. I think that I have that right after much research and change of minds!

Interestingly it's now against AFL rules to have a captain coach so clubs can't manipulate the salary cap by "appointing" a player as the nominal coach and paying him outside of the cap.
    Have you been reading those Roddy Doyle books again, Dougal!?

I have, yeah Ted, you big gobshite