Thanks Thanks:  12
Likes Likes:  165
Page 12 of 24 FirstFirst ... 2345678910111213141516171819202122 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Assistant coaches merry go round

Quote Originally Posted by DOG GOD View Post
    This is going to be very interesting to watch this unfold. Surely Teague will be lucky to be coaching next year. I can see them trying to prize a Clarkson type.
    He's currently sitting at 17/40 games, but Carlton/ Carlton supporters think they have built a good list and have had quality personnel on the park and the media plays up to this knowing he's an inexperienced coach and an easy target. They truly have them believing they belong in the top eight.

But funnily enough, if you ask any of these media folks who in the eight Carlton should replace you can't get a sensible answer. Possibly Sydney, but Sydney has bolted and that happens. West Coast, Richmond, Melbourne or us? Port, Brisbane or Geelong?

They'll sack their coach, and they won't be good enough to make the eight for a few more years because they don't have the cattle. And they'll just sack another coach.
    Nobody's looking for a puppeteer in today's wintry economic climate.

2. Likes DOG GOD, ratsmac, Topdog, Dry Rot liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jeemak View Post
    He's currently sitting at 17/40 games, but Carlton/ Carlton supporters think they have built a good list and have had quality personnel on the park and the media plays up to this knowing he's an inexperienced coach and an easy target. They truly have them believing they belong in the top eight.

But funnily enough, if you ask any of these media folks who in the eight Carlton should replace you can't get a sensible answer. Possibly Sydney, but Sydney has bolted and that happens. West Coast, Richmond, Melbourne or us? Port, Brisbane or Geelong?

They'll sack their coach, and they won't be good enough to make the eight for a few more years because they don't have the cattle. And they'll just sack another coach.
    A big problem with their list are their recent signings of Saad and Williams. Big names on big dollars, but not playing the BIG TEAM GAME. They were talking about these two, along with the likes of Murphy and Docherty, on “On the Couch”, as being selfish players, not wanting to do the team things. For instance, take Saad and Murphy out, and replace with the likes of Nick Hind and Anthony Scott, and they are already a better TEAM.
    I will never see #16 the same!!

4. Likes Twodogs, Threedogs, bulldogsthru&thru liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Yep watched that too DG and whilst i still don't like NRoo he made a heck of a lot of sense and some of the vision was pretty damning.

Having said that Teague is coaching differently to the rest of the league currently with his defensive set up and being well out of the 8 he does deserve some scrutiny.

6. Likes DOG GOD liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

A big problem with their list are their recent signings of Saad and Williams. Big names on big dollars, but not playing the BIG TEAM GAME. They were talking about these two, along with the likes of Murphy and Docherty, on “On the Couch”, as being selfish players, not wanting to do the team things. For instance, take Saad and Murphy out, and replace with the likes of Nick Hind and Anthony Scott, and they are already a better TEAM.
    It's like they don't assess team needs when it comes to recruitment but instead they just look for the players who are asking for the most money and go after them. They don't seem to give much thought to what role those players will play or even what type of person they are and how they will fit into the playing list.

Kerry Packer famously said that you only get one Alan Bond in your lifetime but GWS and Essendon have been unloading players on Carlton every trade period for years now. Adrian Dodoro, (ironically) SOS and JMac have each been getting an Alan Bond once a year for ages.
    Have you been reading those Roddy Doyle books again, Dougal!?

I have, yeah Ted, you big gobshite

8. Likes Dry Rot liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Topdog View Post
    Yep watched that too DG and whilst i still don't like NRoo he made a heck of a lot of sense and some of the vision was pretty damning.

Having said that Teague is coaching differently to the rest of the league currently with his defensive set up and being well out of the 8 he does deserve some scrutiny.
    I agree. NRoo did make a lot of sense. He normally has a good perspective on things and I liked the way he spoke about when Lyon dropped Milne and Dal Santo to make a statement. Marc Murphy crying tears for being dropped leading into his upcoming 300th is typical of the culture there at the moment.

10. Likes Threedogs liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Twodogs View Post
    It's like they don't assess team needs when it comes to recruitment but instead they just look for the players who are asking for the most money and go after them. They don't seem to give much thought to what role those players will play or even what type of person they are and how they will fit into the playing list.

Kerry Packer famously said that you only get one Alan Bond in your lifetime but GWS and Essendon have been unloading players on Carlton every trade period for years now. Adrian Dodoro, (ironically) SOS and JMac have each been getting an Alan Bond once a year for ages.
    They got Williams to play midfield…almost 100% midfield, and it was obvious after 4-5 games, he doesn’t have the tank to do it. Make that what you will.

Post Thanks / Like

They got Williams to play midfield…almost 100% midfield, and it was obvious after 4-5 games, he doesn’t have the tank to do it. Make that what you will.
    I can tell you what is wrong with Carlton, their midfield is ordinary and it has been held up by Cripps for years now.

Cripps is having a bad year and the rest is falling apart.

The only other decent mid is Walsh. Williams, well played one ok game as a mid but he really is a HBF. He also looks unfit to me, put on weight ala Bruce last year.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

13. Likes DOG GOD liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    I can tell you what is wrong with Carlton, their midfield is ordinary and it has been held up by Cripps for years now.

Cripps is having a bad year and the rest is falling apart.

The only other decent mid is Walsh. Williams, well played one ok game as a mid but he really is a HBF. He also looks unfit to me, put on weight ala Bruce last year.
    It's good to see you at your fat shaming best.

15. Likes azabob liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

It's good to see you at your fat shaming best.
    I'm fat these days, put on weight over Covid, a decent amount thanks to the lockdown. These guys are professional athletes who are paid hundreds of thousands of dollars a year to play sport at the highest level possible, I personally have zero issue with someone calling out a professional athlete for not putting the work in and being physically unfit / fat and not earning the money / doing the job they are paid to do, there is zero wrong with that, or am I missing something here?
    "Its always good to win the Ashes test match'' - Libba, AFL Grand Final, 2016

17. Likes EasternWest, DOG GOD liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Vred View Post
    I'm fat these days, put on weight over Covid, a decent amount thanks to the lockdown. These guys are professional athletes who are paid hundreds of thousands of dollars a year to play sport at the highest level possible, I personally have zero issue with someone calling out a professional athlete for not putting the work in and being physically unfit / fat and not earning the money / doing the job they are paid to do, there is zero wrong with that, or am I missing something here?
    Yeah, the thing you're missing is I'm just hanging shit on BAD. It's because (rightly and wrongly) he picked out folks and labelled them fatties over the last couple of years.

I too put on a bit of weight...well a lot of weight last year and I am honestly able to say the best part about being in lockdown now is that I can now start blaming my inflammation on COVID again!

19. Likes EasternWest liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

A big problem with their list are their recent signings of Saad and Williams. Big names on big dollars, but not playing the BIG TEAM GAME. They were talking about these two, along with the likes of Murphy and Docherty, on “On the Couch”, as being selfish players, not wanting to do the team things.
    So. If I take this one week name at a time.

Saad.
    I never understood this. Everywhere he has been the team has lost but he has been an exciting player. And an exciting player who was apparently pushing back on Essendon last year when they wanted him to play as a defender and not as a release mid/runner.

Williams.
    I think Williams is a really nice player and was a big part of what the Giants were doing. He played primarily as a back but was able to leverage his excellent midfield performances in 2019 during the GF run into a contract with midfield numbers. Basically, I don't think having Zac Williams on your list is a BAD thing and I understand why the Blues projected him as a mid given their list. The challenge now is working out how to use him 'best'...

Murphy.
    Been a long time servant of the club, club captain. Helping him get to 300 games is surely the responsibility of the current coaching panel - but does anyone think a forward pocket was going to work? Let him play mid, give him a defensive role and get him to 300.

Docherty.
    So - when you recruit Saad and Williams and then decide to play them as attacking defenders, where does that leave your existing attacking defenders? Trying to make their way as a wingman? Clearly that isn't what he's best at...

I still think they made only one 'MISTAKE' - Saad. He has never been on a good team in his career and at some point you have to wonder how someone who plays as a defender is thought of as a 'good player' when the teams he has played on have all been terrible?

My suggestion:

1/. Saad ==> VFL.
    2/. Williams and Docherty ==> Half-back/defensive 6
    3/. Murphy ==> midfield rotation as a defensive tagger until he gets to 300...if he has been able to 'do' that, then he stays in, otherwise he goes to the VFL as well.
    What should I tell her? She's going to ask.

21. Likes jeemak, DOG GOD liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Vred View Post
    Totally agree, and yeah Jeemak just having a bit of fun with me.

Yeah, the thing you're missing is I'm just hanging shit on BAD. It's because (rightly and wrongly) he picked out folks and labelled them fatties over the last couple of years.

I too put on a bit of weight...well a lot of weight last year and I am honestly able to say the best part about being in lockdown now is that I can now start blaming my inflammation on COVID again!
    You misunderstand. I have never said any of the players were fat, what I did say and have said is overweight. Williams needs to slim down a bit, and maybe he has bulked up too much and lost that bid of pace he had.

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Carlton have red pilled themselves with bringing in all this talent, and they now genuinely believe that they’re the most talented side and that by playing an all-offensive game style teams should have to worry about stopping them, totally casting aside the idea that their opposition might also be able to move the ball and score.

I didn’t want to say it at the time for curse-based reasons but Teague’s pre-game comments about wanting to lure us into a shootout should’ve set off alarm bells at Carlton. We were undefeated and in the top two at the time, playing on our home deck, and it appeared at least outwardly that Teague believed the best way to go about beating an objectively better side was to let them score as much as they want, on the belief that his team’s talent would let them score more.

I think he’s let the egos of their playing group go unchecked and now no one will defend anyone. Giving Saad $800k or whatever at the cost of a top 10 draft pick to run as fast as he can one way and as slow as he can the other was always a horrible idea and sums up their mindset and why they’re in the shape they’re in.
    - I'm a visionary - Only here to confirm my biases -

24. Likes Topdog, EasternWest, jeemak, DOG GOD liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

So apparently Buckley is stepping down as coach after this weeks game.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bulldogsthru&thru View Post
    So apparently Buckley is stepping down as coach after this weeks game.
    Press conference at 11am

Rob Harvey most likely to replace him at this stage.