Thanks Thanks:  12
Likes Likes:  165
Page 15 of 24 FirstFirst ... 56789101112131415161718192021222324 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Assistant coaches merry go round

Quote Originally Posted by Happy Days View Post
    Have they? Those are two of the worst senior coaches maybe ever?
    You don't like Leppitsch?
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

What is Head of Strategy?
    Our 1954 premiership players are our heroes, and it has to be said that Charlie was their hero.

3. Likes ratsmac liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    You don't like Leppitsch?
    I think that he’s become really overrated as a football mind by making himself so available in the media, and that his success at Richmond had less to do with his brilliant structuring of the backline and more to do with them having Dustin Martin.

Brisbane were a total joke when he got frog marched.
    - I'm a visionary - Only here to confirm my biases -

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by comrade View Post
    What is Head of Strategy?
    It's actually called neck of strategy but they had to retitle it because Leppitsch doesn't have one.
    "It's over. It's all over."

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Happy Days View Post
    Have they? Those are two of the worst senior coaches maybe ever?
    I'm not sure Bolton was that bad.

He at least tried to get games into Fisher, Dow etc in key roles and shunted the likes of Curnow to secondary positions...sure, he sacrificed some wins to do it but wasn't it better for the club. Teague came in, stuck Murphy and Curnow etc back in the mids and they won a couple...so he got appointed. Now where are they?

I think Bolton was doing exactly what he said he would do and got sacked for it. Teague tried to do exactly what he said he would do and got sacked for NOT doing it.
    What should I tell her? She's going to ask.

Post Thanks / Like

Yep - history wont judge Bolton too harshly

Carlton just dont have the patience to follow through on a rebuild, and because they've never had a successful rebuild (that hasnt been based off buying in experienced players), they just dont know what it looks like.

As a result they dont know when they are on the right or wrong path (whether they should stay patient or axe the coach).

Post Thanks / Like

Being reported that the Suns want to add Steven King to their coaching team

The Age
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post
    Being reported that the Suns want to add Steven King to their coaching team

The Age
    Whose left for us as a senior assistant? Clarkson? Buckley? Harvey? Sanderson? Teague?

A loss, but a great chance to bring in some new ideas and broad experience. Might be an opportunity to find a player who wants to follow them into our club.
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bulldogtragic View Post
    Whose left for us as a senior assistant? Clarkson? Buckley? Harvey? Sanderson? Teague?

A loss, but a great chance to bring in some new ideas and broad experience. Might be an opportunity to find a player who wants to follow them into our club.
    I'd be knocking on Teague's door in a heartbeat.

If this is the spark we need to start turning over our assistant coaches then so be it, I still reckon it's one of our biggest problems.
    "Its always good to win the Ashes test match'' - Libba, AFL Grand Final, 2016

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Vred View Post
    I'd be knocking on Teague's door in a heartbeat.

If this is the spark we need to start turning over our assistant coaches then so be it, I still reckon it's one of our biggest problems.
    We’re playing in a GF in a few days…

How many “problems” do we have? Isn’t making a GF partly down to coaches?

12. Likes Bulldog4life liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MrMahatma View Post

Grand final or not I've always been a big advocate of shaking up our assistant coaching panel, some fresh eyes in there would not hurt at all.
    "Its always good to win the Ashes test match'' - Libba, AFL Grand Final, 2016

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MrMahatma View Post

You can always do better and in this industry if you are standing still you're going backwards. We have gaps in our skill execution and haven't been able to resolve our set shot for goal challenges as some examples.
    Being complacent is going to be a big challenge and much like in 2016 when we were in a strong position and yet struggled for the next couple of seasons and I'd say that is that partly due to the coaches.
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

15. Likes josie, boydogs liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Looking at Sanderson,

Played at Adelaide, Collingwood & Geelong

Assistant at Port Adelaide
    Assistant at Geelong (during premiership years)
    Head Coach at Adelaide (39 wins, 30 losses)
    Head Coach AFL Academy (would know many if our players from that time)
    Assistant Coach at Collingwood (GF in 2018)

A lot of time at numerous clubs, plus the development role with the AFEL academy. I’d have him on the shortlist of King moves on.
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post
    You can always do better and in this industry if you are standing still you're going backwards. We have gaps in our skill execution and haven't been able to resolve our set shot for goal challenges as some examples.
    Being complacent is going to be a big challenge and much like in 2016 when we were in a strong position and yet struggled for the next couple of seasons and I'd say that is that partly due to the coaches.
    Agree and although I'm loving the current run I'd much rather we consistently finish top 4 and have repeated looks (which I believe this list is capable of) than conjure up a theme based, lightning in a bottle assault on the finals from 5-8 once every 5 years.

It's not good for my sanity

18. Likes GVGjr, Bulldog Joe liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Funny how lots of Bulldog supporters don't really rate King.

Here is an excerpt from The Age:

Steven King and Adem Yze are both assistants at teams playing for the premiership and both have been largely overlooked so far in discussions of the Blues job.

The Blues have spoken with the highly regarded Daniel Giansiracusa, Michael Voss and Adam Kingsley, and they could well be content to make a choice from that pool, but a proper process must include talking to the two grand final assistant coaches.

King and Yze are as qualified as any person not currently coaching an AFL team.

King has played at two clubs - Geelong and St Kilda - and coached at two - St Kilda under Ross Lyon and the Bulldogs under Luke Beveridge. He has done an MBA. He is considered smart and tactically astute. He is well liked by the players he has worked with as a line coach for fostering relationships but is also unafraid of having a hard conversation. This might not be surprising given his apprenticeship under Lyon and Beveridge, but it would also appeal to Carlton right now after former coach David Teague frustrated Carlton for not being harder on the players.

Cook would be familiar with King from his playing days as a ruckman at Geelong, which cannot hurt him.

King is being sought by other clubs, including Gold Coast, for senior assistant coaching roles and would be likely to move on from the Bulldogs after the grand final simply to broaden his experience and flesh out his CV regardless of what happens with Carlton.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.