Page 9 of 24 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516171819 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Assistant coaches merry go round

Dale Morris come on down

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    I think a senior coaching role is different to an assistant role

Pretty sure Bevo wasn't just an assistant at St. Kilda. In fact I double checked and he was the Director of Coaching.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by hujsh View Post
    Pretty sure Bevo wasn't just an assistant at St. Kilda. In fact I double checked and he was the Director of Coaching.
    In AFL terms, a senior coach is the pinnacle of coaching. Director of Coaching is more like an Admin role.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Do we know what job , tenure and money Jordan was offered?
    Do we know what his goals and aims are in life , what he enjoys doing most
    , what suits his lifestyle better ?
    It obviously is a better suit for him than what we offered.
    He is a great person and great at his jobs I wish him well and it’s another step in his career.
    Good luck to him and he will always be welcome back I would say.
    I think it’s an unwritten rule or in most contracts assistant coaches can leave if the offer is better
    It’s not like being a player.
    Good on him for being recognised by other clubs.

I have no doubt our new VFL coach will be the right fit for us, I’m tempted to think it will
    be someone within the club who knows how the seniors set up.
    Retired player maybe.
    Would Bob be a good choice for it? He and Luke are a kind of a match in they both think outside the square, deep thinkers and are respected , I just don’t know Bobs capabilities or drive in coaching a group, we know he can captain.
    Bring back the biff

5. Likes Max469 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    He gets appointed as the VFL coach and then leaves? That is pretty bad as far as I am concerned.
    Bevo had committed to St Kilda as director of coaching before taking our coaching job. Don't blame Russell if he has a better offer.

7. Likes 1eyedog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by I’m Not Bitter Anymore! View Post
    Dale Morris come on down
    Agree. The MC is in need of an overhaul and who better than Morris a legend of our Club who understands the culture with a strong competitive spirit

Post Thanks / Like

Just as a counter to those wanting us to freshen up our assistant coaching panel (I am probably one of them, so not having a go), our assistants seem to be rated:
    - Gia poached by Essendon and seems in running for a senior position
    - Russell poached by North
    - Joel Corey off to Freo as development coach

Bevo seems only one way, all in or nothing. Can get why he wants assistants who are a particular way (his, I guess). I don't mind it, I am up for any program, as long as it is successful.

Bevo all up:
    2015- huge positive turning Blackotber to finals
    2016- well, you know
    2017- very disappointing
    2018- disappointing with some silver lining
    2019- finals
    2020- finals

I am in the camp that feels Bevo needs to be questioned/constructive criticism, but he is going alright all up. Big one next year.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Rocco Jones View Post
    Just as a counter to those wanting us to freshen up our assistant coaching panel (I am probably one of them, so not having a go), our assistants seem to be rated:
    - Gia poached by Essendon and seems in running for a senior position
    - Russell poached by North
    - Joel Corey off to Freo as development coach

Bevo seems only one way, all in or nothing. Can get why he wants assistants who are a particular way (his, I guess). I don't mind it, I am up for any program, as long as it is successful.

Bevo all up:
    2015- huge positive turning Blackotber to finals
    2016- well, you know
    2017- very disappointing
    2018- disappointing with some silver lining
    2019- finals
    2020- finals

I am in the camp that feels Bevo needs to be questioned/constructive criticism, but he is going alright all up. Big one next year.
    I certainly agree it is a big one next year.

I am at least one foot into the disillusioned camp.

2015/16 were fantastic as he utilised what he inherited from BMac with an improved gamestyle.

Unfortunately we did not go on with it and the last 2 years of finals have been really disjointed with atrocious starts as he seems to want to reinvent something in the game, before settling on something that merits a few wins.

I might be delusional, but I believe our list should be at the pointy end and any shortcomings have Bevo's fingerprints all over them.
    Life is to be Enjoyed not Endured

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bulldog Joe View Post
    I certainly agree it is a big one next year.

I am at least one foot into the disillusioned camp.

2015/16 were fantastic as he utilised what he inherited from BMac with an improved gamestyle.

Unfortunately we did not go on with it and the last 2 years of finals have been really disjointed with atrocious starts as he seems to want to reinvent something in the game, before settling on something that merits a few wins.

I might be delusional, but I believe our list should be at the pointy end and any shortcomings have Bevo's fingerprints all over them.
    Honest question, do you think we've been rebuilding the last few years?
    Nobody's looking for a puppeteer in today's wintry economic climate.

Post Thanks / Like

When more than half of your players did not play in a GF 3 years ago (2019) as an example, then yes we are in a mini-rebuild. Why we are are in a rebuild 3/4 years after winning a GF with such a young list is anyone's guess.
    But then again, I'm an Internet poster and Bevo is a premiership coach so draw your own conclusions.

13. Thanks jeemak thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jeemak View Post
    Honest question, do you think we've been rebuilding the last few years?
    Our player retention and reluctance to move players on sooner would indicate we aren't rebuilding and have a fair confidence in the list

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post
    Our player retention and reluctance to move players on sooner would indicate we aren't rebuilding and have a fair confidence in the list
    I wasn't asking you!

Though given your uninvited (as if you own the joint) response, due to circumstances of our own doing or otherwise had the list not changed over enough these past couple of years since the premiership to suggest the club is in a big transition phase anyway?

Call it a rebuild, call it a forced transition......it doesn't really matter. We can argue about players on the fringe being held for too long, but that's relatively inconsequential when so many premiership players and reasonable support players have gone.

The club having lost these players decided to bring in new players to fill the gaps year on year. I reckon with the limited talent pool that if we dropped more of the fringe players in addition to them it would have just meant we'd find ourselves with more unknowns on our list anyway.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 1eyedog View Post
    When more than half of your players did not play in a GF 3 years ago (2019) as an example, then yes we are in a mini-rebuild. Why we are are in a rebuild 3/4 years after winning a GF with such a young list is anyone's guess.
    You're kind of answering that question in the first half of your post though, aren't you?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jeemak View Post
    I wasn't asking you!

Though given your uninvited (as if you own the joint) response, due to circumstances of our own doing or otherwise had the list not changed over enough these past couple of years since the premiership to suggest the club is in a big transition phase anyway?

Call it a rebuild, call it a forced transition......it doesn't really matter. We can argue about players on the fringe being held for too long, but that's relatively inconsequential when so many premiership players and reasonable support players have gone.

The club having lost these players decided to bring in new players to fill the gaps year on year. I reckon with the limited talent pool that if we dropped more of the fringe players in addition to them it would have just meant we'd find ourselves with more unknowns on our list anyway.
    So whats the indication that we have been rebuilding? What type of rebuild is it?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post
    So whats the indication that we have been rebuilding? What type of rebuild is it?
    Is that a serious question G?

I would say when you turn over a huge part of your list, including premiership players, for all sorts of reasons and then play young players recently acquired and fiddle around with positions of players suggests you're rebuilding.

As far as what type of rebuild it is, I don't know, a moderately successful one in which when it's been happening we've made finals twice - but haven't performed well when we did.

No club is allowed to say they're rebuilding anymore. Remember what happened when we had a "reset"? Then a slight rebuild? It's clear to me what's happening, and whether I agree with why it is happening it is, and I'm OK with the narrative coming out of the club this past year or so suggesting we want to get better quickly - you know - after basically saying we're rebuilding anyway.