Thanks Thanks:  13
Likes Likes:  10
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Vale Neil Sachse

SANFL and the South Australian football community is mourning the passing of State and North Adelaide champion Neil Sachse.

Along with his brother Dennis, Neil was part of the fabled Roosters team of the early 1970s that won back to back premierships and in 1972 defeated Carlton to claim the title of Champions of Australia. Neil played 94 games in the red and white as a relentless and powerful utility.

He played five times for South Australia including a best on ground performance against Western Australia at Football Park in 1974.

The following season Neil transferred to Footscray but in his second VFL match was left a quadriplegic after a heavy collision at the Western Oval. The devastating injury rocked the football world and led to greater awareness and protocols around spinal and head injuries.

Neil committed his life to raising awareness of disability and spinal injury. His foundation raised millions of dollars for research and education and he was tireless in his efforts.

”Neil was a wonderful player who had his football career tragically cut short,” SANFL chief executive Jake Parkinson said.

”However, he remained a pioneer, committed and tenacious in his pursuit for research and understanding of spinal injuries through his foundation for which our game is the benefactor. He will be deeply missed.”

Neil passed away after a short illness. SANFL expresses its deepest sympathy to Neil’s wife Janyne and sons Ben and Sam and their families.
    WOOF Member 422

2. Thanks Remi Moses, Eastdog, BornInDroopSt'54 thanked for this post
    Likes Testekill, WBFC4FFC liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Vale Neil Sachse

Vale Neil Sachse

SANFL and the South Australian football community is mourning the passing of State and North Adelaide champion Neil Sachse.

Along with his brother Dennis, Neil was part of the fabled Roosters team of the early 1970s that won back to back premierships and in 1972 defeated Carlton to claim the title of Champions of Australia. Neil played 94 games in the red and white as a relentless and powerful utility.

He played five times for South Australia including a best on ground performance against Western Australia at Football Park in 1974.

The following season Neil transferred to Footscray but in his second VFL match was left a quadriplegic after a heavy collision at the Western Oval. The devastating injury rocked the football world and led to greater awareness and protocols around spinal and head injuries.

Neil committed his life to raising awareness of disability and spinal injury. His foundation raised millions of dollars for research and education and he was tireless in his efforts.

”Neil was a wonderful player who had his football career tragically cut short,” SANFL chief executive Jake Parkinson said.

”However, he remained a pioneer, committed and tenacious in his pursuit for research and understanding of spinal injuries through his foundation for which our game is the benefactor. He will be deeply missed.”

Neil passed away after a short illness. SANFL expresses its deepest sympathy to Neil’s wife Janyne and sons Ben and Sam and their families.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Vale Neil Sachse

Very sad, only 69 but what a rotten life after that terrible incident at Western Oval (which I witnessed along with so many others)

RIP
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Blown me away, a bulldog player I know was very close to him and bluey.
    I think they both have hit him hard.
    Neil was a top bloke and a real fighter may his legacy live on not only in the bulldog psyche but in the AFL as well.
    A sad sad day :-(
    We loved you mate.
    Bring back the biff

6. Thanks Eastdog, Prince Imperial thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    Very sad, only 69 but what a rotten life after that terrible incident at Western Oval (which I witnessed along with so many others)

RIP
    My goodness, that was 45 years ago. I was there that day, aged all of 21, I am now 66. I look back at what seems a lifetime, but I can't even begin to imagine what life was like for Neil across all those years.

I shudder at every contact with a player who has his head down. And as for the modern practice of leading with the head, in order to prompt a free, modern footballers should be made more aware of the possible ramifications. Forty five years is a life sentence,, in awful circumstances.
    The truth will set you free,
    but first it will piss you off. ... Gloria Steinem.

8. Thanks Eastdog thanked for this post
    Likes bornadog, josie liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Still remember it as a 7 year old
    Stuck with me
    RIP Neil
    Deepest condolences to Neil’s family

Post Thanks / Like

Sad news. My thoughts are with his family and friends.
    "Footscray people are incredible people; so humble. I'm just so happy - ecstatic"

11. Likes WBFC4FFC liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Vale Neil, such sad news.
    It's better to die on our feet than live on our knees.

Post Thanks / Like

RIP Neil

Condolences to his family and friends
    They've done studies you know, 60% of the time, it works every time!
    Brian Fantana.

Post Thanks / Like

Sad news
    Western Bulldogs: 2016 Premiers

Post Thanks / Like

Geoff Jennings on Neil- listen here
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

16. Thanks HOSE B ROMERO thanked for this post
    Likes Max469 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Such a tragedy. Surely the league's greatest ever tragedy.
    Vale Neil.

18. Likes bornadog, Bulldog Revolution liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Well played to a very brave and positive man. If you get the chance to read his autobiography i can certainly recommend it. A very positive man.

20. Thanks josie thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by HOSE B ROMERO View Post
    Well played to a very brave and positive man. If you get the chance to read his autobiography i can certainly recommend it. A very positive man.
    Gee Hose - I did not know Neil Sachse had written one. I'll borrow it for sure. All dogs members, even those who were well after his dreadful injury know about this terribly sad part of RWB history. Thanks for the heads up.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BornInDroopSt'54 View Post
    Such a tragedy. Surely the league's greatest ever tragedy.
    Vale Neil.
    This would make for an interesting, if not depressing thread.
    "It's over. It's all over."