Thanks Thanks:  1
Likes Likes:  16
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: 3 things you have learned - RD 14 v Geelong 2020

1 - One great quarter against Melbourne got the job done. One great quarter against the Cats wasn't enough. There is a divide between the better teams and the more average ones

2 - We have some tough choice to make for the balance of the season, it will be interesting to see which we go

3 - You can't relax in this game even when you have a good lead
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

Post Thanks / Like

Did anyone hear that bafoon Taylor say we only had one debutant this year ?
    Last I looked it was 5

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Remi Moses View Post
    Did anyone hear that bafoon Taylor say we only had one debutant this year ?
    Last I looked it was 5
    And your other 2 out of 3 things are?
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by EasternWest View Post
    I don't think we were embarrassed, but you're right about Geelong. They knuckled down and stopped the rot and showed what good teams do when the chips are down.
    Getting a lead like that and then shitting the bed is embarrassing. We shit the bed no doubt about it. People are saying how close we are but they are dreaming. Last night just highlighted a whole new set of problems.

Sorry, I'm still really upset about it.
    But then again, I'm an Internet poster and Bevo is a premiership coach so draw your own conclusions.

5. Likes CarnTheScray liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by SonofScray View Post
    Should have targeted him physically the second time he came back on. Disrupt the focus of the Geelong team who were chipping away pretty methodically. Punch him, slam him into the ground, knee him in the back, whatever. Absolutely punish him for going back out there and force his team mates to try protect him.
    I agree with this - don't try to hurt him further, but maybe just advise him he probably shouldn't be out there.
    "It's over. It's all over."

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 1eyedog View Post
    Getting a lead like that and then shitting the bed is embarrassing. We shit the bed no doubt about it. People are saying how close we are but they are dreaming. Last night just highlighted a whole new set of problems.

Don't apologise - I value your opinion and am totally ok with your disagreement.
    "It's over. It's all over."

Post Thanks / Like

It's interesting. I don't quite feel the same, but the wild swing from what we saw in the first, compared with the second was really gut churning. For me, it's less shitting the bed and more IBS. A chronic condition driven by the foundations of our coaching and selection philosophies. An acute episode would be JJ/Bruce errors.

Maybe it was both last night. Gastroenterologist confirms it. Shit all over.

9. Likes DOG GOD liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by EasternWest View Post
    I agree with this - don't try to hurt him further, but maybe just advise him he probably shouldn't be out there.
    Could've been a focus for Bruce with his size and meagre input.
    Just remind him he's injured.

11. Likes EasternWest liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by SonofScray View Post
    It's interesting. I don't quite feel the same, but the wild swing from what we saw in the first, compared with the second was really gut churning. For me, it's less shitting the bed and more IBS. A chronic condition driven by the foundations of our coaching and selection philosophies. An acute episode would be JJ/Bruce errors.

Maybe it was both last night. Gastroenterologist confirms it. Shit all over.
    And it was Geelong. It can't get much worse for me.
    But then again, I'm an Internet poster and Bevo is a premiership coach so draw your own conclusions.

Post Thanks / Like

1. This game was the perfect summation of the reality of where our club sits. The first quarter showed how we compare against non contending teams. Because that is exactly how Geelong were playing. Quarters 2-4 showed what we look like against contending teams. Geelong upped their intensity (and smarts) and our ugly game reared it’s head. Fumbles, squandered opportunities and poor forward line function. The ability for the cats to control the ball going forward exposed the deficiencies of our defence. I wasn’t exactly happy with Bevos outlook after the game but will give him the benefit of the doubt in thinking he’s just trying to keep the players upbeat.

2a. English and Bruce should be spelled for the remainder of the season. Both are cooked and should rest up to get an early start on preseason.
    2b. If English is indeed spent, then our ruck tactics just aren’t going to work. Tim’s become a complete liability on the field. It looks as though he can barely make a slow jog in the first quarter. Then his marking around ground has all but vanished. At the moment he doesn’t have that mobility he normally provides as an advantage for us. So we’re giving away the ruck but also not receiving an advantage around the ground. So what is the point in playing him? Sweet/Young/Trengove/Schache would provide better service at the moment. We’ve run him into the ground and I can’t for the life of me fathom why he hasn’t been given a rest.

3. Our game last night exposed our tactical flaws big time. For once we weren’t killed on the turnover out the back and our intensity was reasonable for the whole game (although we were obviously running in mud towards the end), yet we were still found out by a team that knew exactly how to expose our weaknesses. We are a bit too predictable.

14. Likes Mantis, SonofScray, GVGjr, DOG GOD liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Yeah, I know we had injuries, but we gave up a 6 goal lead in 3 shortened quarters. We need to be better than that.

Post Thanks / Like

I'm not using the injuries to let us off the hook, but I am interested to k ow how many sides have won in the AFL where they've been down 2 men for roughly half a game of footy. My gut says it is less than 20% of the time.

Post Thanks / Like

1. JJ would prefer to avoid body contact, have the ball turned over rather than take possession and accept the hit to keep the ball moving forward. Let’s not mention it was in the dying stages of a close game.

2. Sad state of affairs when losing a player (Vandermeer) whose played less the 15 games is your point of difference forward of the ball and throws our structure out the window.

3. Injuries mid game don’t help. Neither does having a mid who can gut run, is a contested ball beast, is strong over the ball and who could’ve helped influence the last few minutes playing as a ruckman. You don’t beat Geelong in the ruck by playing them at their game, you beat them in the ruck by playing a competent ruckman against them.

4. As the season goes on our list management is being exposed. What exactly was our plan for the ruck this year? Gee I hope it was not have A grade and B grade mids provide the ruck chop out.
    Let’s be thankful we only had to put up with it for 17 weeks and not 22 as originally intended.
    More of an In Bruges guy?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bulldogsthru&thru View Post
    Yeah, I know we had injuries, but we gave up a 6 goal lead in 3 shortened quarters. We need to be better than that.
    1. After quarter time Geelong had 19 scoring shots to 7.
    2. After quarter time our midfielders started kicking backwards.
    3. After quarter time our players started fumbling.

In case I have been too long winded here is a summary:

The game plan is garbage.

19. Likes SonofScray, DOG GOD liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Danjul View Post
    1. After quarter time Geelong had 19 scoring shots to 7.
    2. After quarter time our midfielders started kicking backwards.
    3. After quarter time our players started fumbling.

In case I have been too long winded here is a summary:

The game plan is garbage.
    On point 2, I have watched the Tigers recently with an eye of their ball movement and they never go backwards by foot. Its clearly one of their non negotiables unless they're really under pressure as an outlet.