Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  23
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: The balance of the 2020 season

Quote Originally Posted by Yankee Hotel Foxtrot View Post
    Do we know how Schache went in the scratch match this weekend?
    Kicked two goals, that is all I know.

I still think he can come in and spend some time in the ruck instead of Dunkley
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

If we keep playing Dunkley in the ruck, then the MC have to take 100% blame in ruining his career.
    I will never see #16 the same!!

3. Likes westbulldog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

The Melbourne and Giants wins yesterday didn't help our ladder position. A Carlton win today would see us 11th and they could have 2 further wins v Sydney and Adelaide. I can't see us winning all 3 upcoming games, 2 at most so imo it is a tough road to make the 8. Therefore I think we need to variously play Schache, Trengove, Le Young, Sweet and Greene to see their worth going forward. I think Hayes has shown enough to be retained. Imo say goodbye to Dickson, Lynch, R Smith and Gowers. Bruce has not earned his spot and should be sent away with a fitness coach for the rest of the year. He has ability but, other than 1 game, has done nothing.

Post Thanks / Like

You'd be great as a Fox news reporter. The Carlson Tucker of Australia!

You're not disposed to discussion or up for even considering changing your point of view.
    You've a tightly wound narrative, and confirmation bias be danned, you'll stick to it!
    Yep we gave up a 6 goal lead. Instead of examining the full range of factors that may explain it, you just keep your gaze narrowed and focus on the bits that support your predetermined narrative.
    Find some nuance
    Absolute tripe of a post!
    You're clearly a massive Dog's supporter, and like all of us, frustrated by our inability to recapture 2016 lightning in a bottle. Lift your gaze.
    Yes we're clearly along way off the mark, but many of your posts, like the one above, want to conveniently reduce our issues to a tightly wound narrative of inconpetence of our coaches.

I just don't see that as being the case.
    Reducing our loss to Geelong along narrow terms, misses a larger spectrum of factors that are quite more plausible.

Geelong aren't mugs. They were always going to reapply themselves at Qtr time.
    They had the 10 most experienced players on the field . Discount that at your peril.

We lost 2 players by half time. By any stretch, statistically that is a huge hurdle to overcome.
    when the facts don’t change even slightly in three and a half years why should the interpretation?

Fact 1. We defeated Geelong in 2018.
    Fact 2. We defeated Geelong in 2019. They only managed 7 goals in the game.

Geelong should have been worried about us. Their only recent win against the Dogs was in a shoot out with their home ground advantage.

Fact 3. We kicked 3 Goals in three quarters to lose in 2020. (Couldn’t kick 4 goals to defend a six goal lead).

Yet we have some great players approaching their prime.

Yes we lost 2 players, how did we adjust? Genuine question because I didn’t see any. What did we do to curb Dangerfield? Why didn’t we put Bruce (no goals again) in ruck so Dunkley (13 possessions) could get into the game?

And it’s not as though Geelong was injury free.

Another little known fact: The opposition often gets a goal within 60 seconds of Macrae being ruck. I think I saw that again.

I would love to change my opinion. But I want facts and honesty, it has gone on too long for excuses to be sufficient.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by westbulldog View Post
    The Melbourne and Giants wins yesterday didn't help our ladder position. A Carlton win today would see us 11th and they could have 2 further wins v Sydney and Adelaide. I can't see us winning all 3 upcoming games, 2 at most so imo it is a tough road to make the 8. Therefore I think we need to variously play Schache, Trengove, Le Young, Sweet and Greene to see their worth going forward. I think Hayes has shown enough to be retained. Imo say goodbye to Dickson, Lynch, R Smith and Gowers. Bruce has not earned his spot and should be sent away with a fitness coach for the rest of the year. He has ability but, other than 1 game, has done nothing.
    Schache Trengrove and Le Young have effectively been left lamenting at the expense of Bruce Keath and Gardner. It begs the question have we improved by these decisions. You would have to say probably not given that there is every possibility of not now making the final 8. Most would agree with the 4 players you have suggested should be moved on. The recent recruiting gains of Smith and Vandemeer highlights the need to further strengthen the list in a bid to become a serious Final 4 challenger again.

Post Thanks / Like

For real do we even need to replace Bruce's role? Naughton has looked better with Bruce not in the side and is taking the best defender now anyway. We have a few mid sized guys that play tall in the wings that will provide more scoreboard impact and I'd like to see us move in that direction.
    - I'm a visionary - Only here to confirm my biases -

Post Thanks / Like

You'd be great as a Fox news reporter. The Carlson Tucker of Australia!

You're not disposed to discussion or up for even considering changing your point of view.
    You've a tightly wound narrative, and confirmation bias be danned, you'll stick to it!
    Yep we gave up a 6 goal lead. Instead of examining the full range of factors that may explain it, you just keep your gaze narrowed and focus on the bits that support your predetermined narrative.
    Find some nuance
    Absolute tripe of a post!
    You're clearly a massive Dog's supporter, and like all of us, frustrated by our inability to recapture 2016 lightning in a bottle. Lift your gaze.
    Yes we're clearly along way off the mark, but many of your posts, like the one above, want to conveniently reduce our issues to a tightly wound narrative of inconpetence of our coaches.

I just don't see that as being the case.
    Reducing our loss to Geelong along narrow terms, misses a larger spectrum of factors that are quite more plausible.

Geelong aren't mugs. They were always going to reapply themselves at Qtr time.
    They had the 10 most experienced players on the field . Discount that at your peril.

We lost 2 players by half time. By any stretch, statistically that is a huge hurdle to overcome.
    He’s “ the loudest voice “ on here
    Same tired old hymn book

Post Thanks / Like

Supporters have to move forward and stop using 2016 as a reference point
    The reasons we’ve fallen just can’t be put at the feet of the coaches

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Nuggety Back Pocket View Post
    Schache Trengrove and Le Young have effectively been left lamenting at the expense of Bruce Keath and Gardner. It begs the question have we improved by these decisions. You would have to say probably not given that there is every possibility of not now making the final 8. Most would agree with the 4 players you have suggested should be moved on. The recent recruiting gains of Smith and Vandemeer highlights the need to further strengthen the list in a bid to become a serious Final 4 challenger again.
    It also begs the question of would we be a better side with those players in it ?
    Good post NBP
    Personally , I have my doubts . Trengove lacks mobility and is a look away now with ball in hand . Schache has showed glimpses, but needs to show some form of intensity . Lewis Young I think has been stiff to be honest
    I’d have him in the team ahead of Gardner .

Post Thanks / Like

Even Bruce isn’t playing Bruce’s role. He isn’t kicking goals. He isn’t taking marks. Pretty sure he isn’t in the team to just run around.

At least Schache will lead and run and kick straight.

Post Thanks / Like

Geelongs last two losses against us when they were coming off a bye and set either in the top 4 or on top
    I’m as p***** as everyone , but if supporters don’t see that down to two on the bench doesn’t have a role to play here they’re kidding
    The ruck situation is one I agree with ( it’s a shambles ) English looks exhausted and an experienced chop out would be handy

13. Likes Yankee Hotel Foxtrot liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Remi Moses View Post
    Supporters have to move forward and stop using 2016 as a reference point
    The reasons we’ve fallen just can’t be put at the feet of the coaches
    You forgot to finish - explain why we are where we are.

Give specific details we can all understand and follow.

Let’s use them to get an understanding of how we move up and stay there.

I for one would appreciate some insight.

Thanks in advance.

Post Thanks / Like

Geelongs last two losses against us when they were coming off a bye and set either in the top 4 or on top
    I’m as p***** as everyone , but if supporters don’t see that down to two on the bench doesn’t have a role to play here they’re kidding
    The ruck situation is one I agree with ( it’s a shambles ) English looks exhausted and an experienced chop out would be handy
    Is it about Geelong? We have a bye and 3 more games to complete the home and away part of the season. We are trying to establish what needs to be done from here on.

As I mentioned in the opening post, while it was a frustrating loss to Geelong there were plenty of positive signs from my perspective
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

Post Thanks / Like

So you are saying they weren’t trying and that’s why they lost against the Dogs.

The way I see it that makes our performances even better. I had forgotten that part. They were in form and rested.

And by the way that is a little demeaning to the Dogs.

Post Thanks / Like

honestly, I'm a hopeless romantic or maybe a deluded die hard....I think finals are still possible and more importantly (for now) we should be fielding our best team every week to try and make them. Anything can happen once the finals start this year.

A week off now will do several players the world of good.

if we tip over the eagles game on, if we get beaten badly then we bring in some experimentation for the final 2 games. I'd love to see sweet (know Bevo says he isn't ready) Le Young and Greene trying the Dale/Dickson/Lloyd role.

Lastly - Bruce needs to start his 2021 preseason right now. Give him a pep talk about required player, shown glimpses, key to our success blah blah and set some rigorous fitness milestones for him to meet by January.
    The dam wall has busted!

18. Likes bornadog liked this post