Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  23
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

The balance of the 2020 season

Hugely disappointing result last night no doubt but there were a number of positives as well

How do we prepare for the balance of the season is there a different approach we should be taking?
    What should we be looking to achieve in our last 3 games of the 'home' and away season?
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

Post Thanks / Like

Re: The balance of the 2020 season

We should be bedding down our best 2020 line-up and going flat-chat to win every game.

Experimentation and 'playing the kids' is for the teams on 5 wins or fewer
    "Look at me mate. Look at me. I'm flyin'"

3. Likes SonofScray, GVGjr liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Sedat View Post
    We should be bedding down our best 2020 line-up and going flat-chat to win every game.

Experimentation and 'playing the kids' is for the teams on 5 wins or fewer
    Bevo has had an eternity to decide on what a best 22 looks like. I don't have any clue and I suspect he doesn't either. Did he say he was "making it up as we go" in the press conference? Maybe I misheard.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by SonofScray View Post
    Bevo has had an eternity to decide on what a best 22 looks like. I don't have any clue and I suspect he doesn't either. Did he say he was "making it up as we go" in the press conference? Maybe I misheard.
    Our best run of form since the premiership was the 2nd half of last year, when we (finally) started playing with a more settled line-up. I don't think it was a coincidence.
    "Look at me mate. Look at me. I'm flyin'"

6. Likes angelopetraglia, EasternWest, DOG GOD liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Our best run of form since the premiership was the 2nd half of last year, when we (finally) started playing with a more settled line-up. I don't think it was a coincidence.
    Agree.

Post Thanks / Like

Then we threw it all out the window when we started this year and we’re still playing funny buggers at the selection table.. when does it end?

9. Likes Sedat, The Bulldogs Bite liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by SonofScray View Post
    Nope you didn't miss hear it, that's exactly what he said when asked about the rucks.

Post Thanks / Like

Trengove was part of most of that too. I try not to say much about him on here but there’s a lot of confusion regarding his omission.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Grantysghost View Post
    Trengove was part of most of that too. I try not to say much about him on here but there’s a lot of confusion regarding his omission.
    Notably Trengove didn’t play against the Crows or the Giants in the final.

Feel free to speculate on his omission.
    More of an In Bruges guy?

13. Likes Grantysghost liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by azabob View Post
    Notably Trengove didn’t play against the Crows or the Giants in the final.

Feel free to speculate on his omission.
    Well. It was English had a virus in GWS game rd 22 and he rucked. Lew Young took his spot. That’s it really. Hasn’t had a look in since.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by G-Mo77 View Post
    Nope you didn't miss hear it, that's exactly what he said when asked about the rucks.
    Oh dear.

Post Thanks / Like

I'd like to see us pick our best sides but with some minimal experimenting.
    Use Dunkley more as a mid than a ruck man and try and develop a tagger from our group. The 'extra' mid isn't working and he doesn't have the athleticism to be used in significant minutes as a ruck man.

Lets work out what we are going with Gardner and Schache?
    - If the MC sees something special in Gardner, I'll concede that he needs the balance of the season to prove his worth
    - Plenty of us see a talented player in Schache but the MC perhaps don't. Can he help in the ruck or be a key defender or as the key forward we traded for? Lets use the balance of the season to find out if he is genuinely in our plans for 2021 and beyond or if it's just Naughton and Bruce as our key forwards in 2021.

Lets think long and hard before we select:
    - Roarke Smith - He's had a lot of injuries and I'm sure he is dedicated type who works his back side off but his best just isn't good enough. He's close but with just a few too many limitations
    - Tory Dickson - Last night was your chance but you were a mile off the mark. You have been a great player for us but we should not be selecting Dickson again.
    - Josh Bruce - I get that this disjointed season has been a challenge for some players but we've exhibited an exceptionally patient approach with Bruce for bugger all return. We should be saying "lets see you fitter and better in 2021" to Bruce
    - Fergus Greene - He's been in some decent form according to the few reports we can see but if he comes in and kicks 3 goals in a game we will feel compelled to maintain him on the list next season and we just need to be clear now if we want to do that.
    - Garcia, Porter, Butler and Weightman should only be played if injuries determine that
    - Brad Lynch - You looked promising for a small part of 2018 but haven't been able to secure chances since. As much as you have some AFL skills we need to accept that you won't be at the club in 2021
    - Jackson Trengove - it's one of the great mysteries to me that we couldn't find a consistent spot for you and you have been a great leader around the club but unless English is injured Lewis Young needs to be the preference. Thanks Jacko it's going to be sad to see you go
    - Billy Gowers - Seems to be rated by the MC and had one good season as a forward but may have been worked out. Do we play Gowers or look to reinvent him as a player of do we just move on and select others?
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

17. Likes Sedat, azabob, The bulldog tragician liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mantis View Post
    Then we threw it all out the window when we started this year and we’re still playing funny buggers at the selection table.. when does it end?
    When Bevo walks out the door for the last time.
    I will never see #16 the same!!

Post Thanks / Like

GVGjr's Greene point is a really interesting one and applies to a lot of our squad.

All of Greene, Lynch, Porter, Smith, Gowers and to a lesser extent Cavarra have been on the list for multiple seasons with no demonstrated improvement in say the last two and I imagine all would be on the delist pile for most.

Do we actually see any of them making it as AFL players? And if not then is giving them the opportunity to show something doing us a disservice as if they show "enough" we are obliged to give them another year?

I mean Bailey Dale is a good example of showing no improvement, gets an opportunity and shows something but still largely unproven, gets a contract and resumes his crap form of the previous 2 years. And i would argue he has demonstrated he is better at AFL level than all the above mentioned players even aside from last years performances, and I still think he poses as a very awkward player to carry on our list for 3 years.

Greene is probably the only one above that most people have anything resembling hope for, and even if he is a competent player do any of us see him being better than Dale who plays almost the exact same role, and he would just add another low possession deepish no crumbing forward to our list which already has an abundance of mediocre players in that position.
    I should leave it alone but you're not right

20. Likes GVGjr, The Bulldogs Bite liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I would keep Greene and CAV and delist the others.
    Lynch, porter, Gowers and smith are VFL at best
    I will never see #16 the same!!