Thanks Thanks:  213
Likes Likes:  888
Page 104 of 122 FirstFirst ... 454949596979899100101102103104105106107108109110111112113114 ... LastLast
Results 1,546 to 1,560 of 1817
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: List Management for 2020/21

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    Thanks BT, we did miss you on the forum - especially for stuff like this.

Do we count Rookies? I guess not.

We only have three uncontracted players now:

Cavarra, Duryea and Hayes.

Maybe we delist and then relist the guys we want to keep, or switch them to rookie list.
    I really can't understand why Hayes wasn't added to the lot announced.

Some seem to think Cavarra offers something, but I don't see it. As mature agers the really needed to make an immediate impact and in my view they have not done enough.

Much better to look at untried who could have upside, than retain guys who are depth at best.
    Life is to be Enjoyed not Endured

2. Likes bornadog, 1eyedog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bulldog Joe View Post
    I really can't understand why Hayes wasn't added to the lot announced.

Some seem to think Cavarra offers something, but I don't see it. As mature agers the really needed to make an immediate impact and in my view they have not done enough.

Much better to look at untried who could have upside, than retain guys who are depth at best.
    I would only keep Duryea, as we need some maturity in the backline, and it seems he directs it when he is in there.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

I'd only keep Cavara out of those 3 even after the delistings today.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by G-Mo77 View Post
    I'd only keep Cavara out of those 3 even after the delistings today.
    I'd be keeping Cavarra and Duryea.

Actually I'm not sure why there's not more support for Duryea on the forum. Aside from his misfortune with injuries this year, I see him as a pretty solid player for us.

Cavarra I just don't see that he's had a fair run at it yet, again with injuries halting his opportunities. With that said, 2021 would be his last year to impress.

Hayes, might be cheap insurance but he's not AFL standard and for mine would be the one to move on.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Doc26 View Post
    Actually I'm not sure why there's not more support for Duryea on the forum. Aside from his misfortune with injuries this year, I see him as a pretty solid player for us.
    Duryea is awesome. A defender who can defend. Excellent player!
    What should I tell her? She's going to ask.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Doc26 View Post
    I'd be keeping Cavarra and Duryea.

Cavarra I just don't see that he's had a fair run at it yet, again with injuries halting his opportunities. With that said, 2021 would be his last year to impress.

Hayes, might be cheap insurance but he's not AFL standard and for mine would be the one to move on.
    Duryea is a very good player, not sure why more don't rate him
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

8. Likes Sedat, Ghost Dog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post
    Suspect the coach agrees and he survives, not least of all because we've so few like him.
    BORDERLINE FLYING

Post Thanks / Like

Agree. Hadn’t even crossed my mind to delist him. Think his experience is important moving forward. In fact it wouldn’t surprise me if he was part of the reason for the significant improvement in Williams.

Post Thanks / Like

IMO Cavarra has hardly had opportunity at senior level. From what I’ve seen at vfl level & considering our dearth of small forwards he either should have got more opportunities or should have another year to prove it at senior level. I think he might do ok until hopefully Weightman steps up and/or we find a smart small forward to draft or steal from another club.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    I would only keep Duryea, as we need some maturity in the backline, and it seems he directs it when he is in there.
    Read somewhere that in the time Dureya has been with us he has managed just 16 games. He has been injured a lot!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by FrediKanoute View Post
    Read somewhere that in the time Dureya has been with us he has managed just 16 games. He has been injured a lot!
    It's actually 17 but just 3 this year. Averaged 19 possessions a game in 2019
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

Post Thanks / Like

Tendency to go to ground.
    But then again, I'm an Internet poster and Bevo is a premiership coach so draw your own conclusions.

Post Thanks / Like

I also rate Duryea and would like to keep him around, but his injury record does not augur well.

List spots are a premium so I think we need to delist, with perhaps redrafting or a rookie spot if he remains available.

I would do the same with Sam Lloyd and hope someone else picks him up. Giving him a rookie spot is all I would offer to Lloyd to meet his contract.
    Life is to be Enjoyed not Endured

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bulldogtragic View Post
    We need to use all five 5 picks worth of points. That means we need to have 5 vacancies on the list. Say we only take 4 picks with 4 vacancies. Then we forfeit all the draft points on the 5th pick. It's not so much about drafting, it's about being permitted to use the points as to avoid a 2021 deficit.

We can re-draft or elevate rookies if we wanted. But we need the picks.
    Does this change things BT?

https://www.afl.com.au/news/524802/s...aft-rule-tweak

SYDNEY, Collingwood, Port Adelaide and the Western Bulldogs are among the clubs who have been given a boost by a rule change on the eve of the NAB AFL Draft.

Clubs have been informed that a significant change has been applied to this year's bidding system in light of the reduction in list sizes and the trading of future picks last year.

Under normal AFL rules, clubs who are matching bids for northern Academy, Next Generation Academy and father-son players are only allowed to use draft points from the amount of picks that is equal to the number of their available list spots.

This has been to stop clubs from stockpiling late draft picks with the intention of only using them to pay for highly rated draftees, even if they had more picks at the draft than they had list spots available, which was an early loophole of the live bidding system.

But clubs will not be bound by that rule at next month's national draft after the League gave clearance for clubs to use points from draft picks even if they are not going to use the selections to draft players.

In essence it means that the Swans, who will be forced to match bids for Academy pair Braeden Campbell and Errol Gulden, could theoretically take six picks to the draft but only pick up three players, but use the remaining selections for points purposes.

Although a subtle tweak, it is an important change in a draft year that is so heavily filtered with players already tied to clubs via Academies and under father-son links.

It will also benefit the Western Bulldogs, who have grabbed a number of extra selections to be able to pay for a possible No.1 matched bid for Jamarra Ugle-Hagan, as well as the Power, who hold six picks and have ties to NGA talent Lachie Jones and father-son Taj Schofield.

Where in previous years the Power would have only been able to use points from the picks commensurate to how many list spots the club had available, this year they could essentially grab their two linked players and use the rest of their draft hand to help cover the points cost.

The Magpies, with speedy tall midfielder Reef McInnes, and Hawthorn, with line-breaker Connor Downie, are other clubs with Academy ties who will be waiting to see where bids fall, while Fremantle (Joel Western, Brandon Walker), Brisbane (Blake Coleman, Carter Michael) and Essendon (Cody Brand, Josh Eyre) are others clubs who also have their eyes on Academy players.

The AFL will revert to its usual rule next year, having allowed the clubs a one-off change given some had prepared for matching bids by already trading out future selections during last year's exchange period.

It informed clubs last week that lists will be cut to a minimum of 37 players and a maximum of 44 players, inclusive of rookies (category A and B)

17. Thanks bulldogtragic, hujsh thanked for this post
    Likes Mofra, Doc26, Dry Rot liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

The list spot rule helps us a lot. Duryea is a no-brainer for another year, he's our only small defender that can actually lock down an opponent.
    I'd give Cav one more year - there is something to be said for having someone on the list who has had to spend years fighting and scrapping for their chance at AFL level. Still think Hannan will be the closest thing to a small forward we play regularly during the year.

I still don't quite see it with Hayes and hopefully VDM builds his tank to take wing rotations in 2021.
    Western Bulldogs: 2016 Premiers