Thanks Thanks:  213
Likes Likes:  888
Page 37 of 122 FirstFirst ... 27282930313233343536373839404142434445464787 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: List Management for 2020/21

Quote Originally Posted by Doc26 View Post
    Would like this if Daniel would be open to moving back to Melbourne.

btw What's the Cavarra link to McStay?
    I think they all came through Eastern Ranges together in their U18 year.

2. Likes SquirrelGrip liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post

I think we are very likely to only bring in 2 established players from other clubs. O'Halloran would be my preference but the players could offer us something.
    I suspect it will only be a couple also, which would be a shame as i really think a bunch of these guys could be acquired quite cheaply and would be able to either offer us something we don't already have, improve on what we are already fielding or could even emerge as very good players.

I think St.Kilda showed that recruits don't need to be stars to make an impact, arguably Brad Hill their star recruit has had a relatively lower impact than some of the "worse" guys.

The trade market is basically free for any players that aren't immediately best 22 so if we cut a fair few players this year as we should then we are much better served bringing in ready to go talent than gambling on low percentage talent id through the draft.
    I should leave it alone but you're not right

Post Thanks / Like

The problem is you need to have cash to throw around. The difference between us and the Saints is we already had or have justifiably high earning players on our list whereas they didn't.

If the next couple of years don't work out for them like they hope it will, they'll end up with no money to spend to enable them to take the next step. It's not as if they're winning a flag right now, this could be just a sugar hit for them.
    Nobody's looking for a puppeteer in today's wintry economic climate.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jeemak View Post
    The problem is you need to have cash to throw around. The difference between us and the Saints is we already had or have justifiably high earning players on our list whereas they didn't.

If the next couple of years don't work out for them like they hope it will, they'll end up with no money to spend to enable them to take the next step. It's not as if they're winning a flag right now, this could be just a sugar hit for them.
    They might just win it .
    Bring back the biff

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ledge View Post
    They might just win it .
    I hope not. Fingers crossed they have to wait even longer.

Will we get some announcements today regarding delisting?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jeemak View Post

Who would be on high coin for us Jeemak?

Bont
    JJ
    Bruce
    Macrae?

And how many are currently performing up to their price tag? JJ and Bruce certainly aren’t.

Naughton and English will certainly command it soon. As will Bailey Smith. The saints will need to factor future growth of their young stars too. Billings will want more. Steele only signed for two years and after his AA selection he’ll want a juicy contract. Then you’ve got Coffield and Clark who’ll attract decent coin. If Butler keeps this seasons form up, he’ll get a decent pay rise as would Marshall and Gresham. They’re still throwing money around so they’ll need to be careful with an eye to retaining their current young guns. The challenge for the saints will be maintaining the rage. The newness will be gone next season and the expectations much higher. Oppositions will also be familiar with them.

8. Likes soupman, jeemak liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bulldogsthru&thru View Post
    Who would be on high coin for us Jeemak?

Bont
    JJ
    Bruce
    Macrae?

And how many are currently performing up to their price tag? JJ and Bruce certainly aren’t.

Naughton and English will certainly command it soon. As will Bailey Smith. The saints will need to factor future growth of their young stars too. Billings will want more. Steele only signed for two years and after his AA selection he’ll want a juicy contract. Then you’ve got Coffield and Clark who’ll attract decent coin. If Butler keeps this seasons form up, he’ll get a decent pay rise as would Marshall and Gresham. They’re still throwing money around so they’ll need to be careful with an eye to retaining their current young guns. The challenge for the saints will be maintaining the rage. The newness will be gone next season and the expectations much higher. Oppositions will also be familiar with them.
    I would think the average wage for our top 10-15 players would be a fair bit higher than what the Saints was prior to the trade-ins last year. I don't think we have it all squirrelled away in a couple of players, but our overall spend would be higher because we had better 'good' players/players who could demand better contracts for the last few seasons.

Hopefully when we missed out on Wingard/Martin they restructured deals to front-end them, taking advantage of the salary cap space that opened up, and leaving more space open in future years for growth of existing players (e.g. Bailey Smith, Naughton, English, VDM deserving more) and trade options.

10. Likes jeemak liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by SquirrelGrip View Post
    With Daniher signalling his intention to go to Brisbane, could we get Ben Cavarra and Tom Boyd into the ear of Daniel McStay as a versatile swinging big man?
    If we are going to get in the ear of any Brisbane KPP, I hope we talk to Sam Skinner.

We did like him in his draft year, had two knee recos but can play both ends. Last pre-season he showed promise as a ruck/forward although I believe he was drafted as a defender. Joe Daniher shuffles him back in the pecking order and he'd cost little in picks/cap.
    Western Bulldogs: 2016 Premiers

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mofra View Post
    If we are going to get in the ear of any Brisbane KPP, I hope we talk to Sam Skinner.

We did like him in his draft year, had two knee recos but can play both ends. Last pre-season he showed promise as a ruck/forward although I believe he was drafted as a defender. Joe Daniher shuffles him back in the pecking order and he'd cost little in picks/cap.
    From https://www.lions.com.au/players/775/sam-skinner

Sam Skinner

Sam Skinner has experienced many highs and lows since arriving at the Lions in late 2015. Within 24 hours of being told he would be making his senior debut in Round 19, 2016 against Port Adelaide, a scan revealed he had ruptured his ACL for a second time.

He would have to wait another 12 months to finally make his debut in Round 19, 2017. He was a force against West Coast and kicked two goals. Unfortunately, he would again tear his ACL later that season while playing in the NEAFL and missed the rest of the season.
    Skinner alternates between the forward and backline and will be itching to get back into the senior side in 2020.
    Fun fact: Sam Skinner is a keen guitarist with a voice to match
    "I'll give him a hug before the first bounce and then I'll run into my pack and give them orders to rip him apart."

13. Likes azabob liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

The double ACL tear is a concern.

Post Thanks / Like

Offset by the positive guitar and vocal ability though.
    I should leave it alone but you're not right

Post Thanks / Like

I believe its 3 x ACL.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Grantysghost View Post
    I believe its 3 x ACL.
    Can he play Wonderwall
    - I'm a visionary - Only here to confirm my biases -

18. Likes Grantysghost liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Happy Days View Post
    Can he play Wonderwall
    Heard he does a mean cover of Vance Joy's Riptide.
    Our 1954 premiership players are our heroes, and it has to be said that Charlie was their hero.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by grantysghost View Post
    i believe its 3 x acl.
    big no
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.