Thanks Thanks:  213
Likes Likes:  888
Page 24 of 122 FirstFirst ... 14151617181920212223242526272829303132333474 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: List Management for 2020/21

Quote Originally Posted by The Underdog View Post
    I also saw Lewis Young’s 5th game where Jon Patton nearly made him cry. Sometimes guys start fast and get worked out.
    In saying that, I’m a fan of both. I’ve been a proponent of Schache since he arrived and I think Young has huge upside. Unfortunately it seems both have issues in maintaining intensity and physical presence which are attributes that seem to be prized fairly highly by this regime. Would I have given them both more games this year? For sure. But I don’t know what conversations are being had internally either. The problem may be that this is something that isn’t necessarily coachable. It’s clearly the reason not many teams were interested in Schache when he was available for trade. I hope we keep both and give them opportunity but I can see where both would be looking elsewhere.
    Patton was close to the best big forward in the competition. He shared leading goal kicker with Cameron in a strong team. The in form Patton had 15 possessions and 4 goals. He had kicked 20 goals in the previous 7 games.

Young still had 11 possessions and 5 marks. A mismatch where he was beaten but not disgraced.

And in a team that kicked only 7 goals.

It was a slaughter with GWS kicking 16 goals. Young was far from being a problem.

Against the Lions a few weeks ago Gardner had 5 possessions and his opponent got 5 goals. Made him a selection certainty. Hipwood had kicked 7 goals in the previous 7 games- 1 in each.

Post Thanks / Like

IMO, there’s only one reason why Young has not been played, and that is because he has asked to be traded. Nothing else makes sense.
    I will never see #16 the same!!

3. Likes EasternWest liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Danjul View Post
    Patton was close to the best big forward in the competition. He shared leading goal kicker with Cameron in a strong team. The in form Patton had 15 possessions and 4 goals. He had kicked 20 goals in the previous 7 games.

Young still had 11 possessions and 5 marks. A mismatch where he was beaten but not disgraced.

And in a team that kicked only 7 goals.

It was a slaughter with GWS kicking 16 goals. Young was far from being a problem.

Against the Lions a few weeks ago Gardner had 5 possessions and his opponent got 5 goals. Made him a selection certainty. Hipwood had kicked 7 goals in the previous 7 games- 1 in each.
    I didn’t say Young was THE problem, but at one point he was so beaten, he was almost too scared to kick the footy after he’d turned it over from a kick in. Patton got into his head and I think that game set him back quite a way after having a bright start in the games prior. And if you want to go further into his stats, he had 0 contested marks, 2 intercept possessions and 6 clangers in that game. Plus, despite the scoreboard, we had 65 inside 50’s to 34. So GWS kicked 16 goals from 34 inside 50’s.

And look I don’t disagree with you. I would definitely have given Young more looks. But there’s clearly reasons why the MC prefer Gardner. I don’t necessarily see it (although he has been better recently). Young wasn’t dropped after the GWS game, much as Gardner wasn’t after Brisbane. Gardner does seem to have been a bit more resilient following his game than Young.

5. Thanks 1eyedog thanked for this post
    Likes Yankee Hotel Foxtrot liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Whats happened to Fantasia at Essendon, always had the talent seems to have fallen off the map.

Always worried about his defensive abilities, but does have forward attributes that would help put our group

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by kruder View Post
    Whats happened to Fantasia at Essendon, always had the talent seems to have fallen off the map.

Always worried about his defensive abilities, but does have forward attributes that would help put our group
    Burnt through 3 managers in 4-5 years.
    Do not want. Typical naturally-talented player who won't ever fulfil his potential.
    Western Bulldogs: 2016 Premiers

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post
    Neither would I, but if they aren't being played (3 senior games between them this year) whats the incentive to keep them or for them to stay?
    We are fortunate that they've both got contracts for 2021 (Schache 2022)
    Morris was rookied at 22, debut at 23. No way I look to move on Young.

Schache I absolutely would move on. He has enough exposed form to suggest he is a good fit somewhere, but I don't think it is with the Bulldogs.

Post Thanks / Like

Zac Williams has left GWS.

I suspect Carlton get him, ahead of North.

10. Thanks bornadog thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mofra View Post
    Zac Williams has left GWS.

I suspect Carlton get him, ahead of North.
    Had to laugh at this:

Williams has informed the club that his preferred destination is a Victorian club to be closer to his sister who's based in Albury.
    I know Melbourne is closer to Albury than Sydney but it's not like he's going to be able to jump in the car and go see his sister too often at around a 4 hour drive.

12. Likes Bulldog Revolution, bornadog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Burnt through 3 managers in 4-5 years.
    Do not want. Typical naturally-talented player who won't ever fulfil his potential.
    Definitely an EFC keeper!
    Nobody's looking for a puppeteer in today's wintry economic climate.

Post Thanks / Like

Morris was rookied at 22, debut at 23. No way I look to move on Young.

Schache I absolutely would move on. He has enough exposed form to suggest he is a good fit somewhere, but I don't think it is with the Bulldogs.
    We do seem to prefer our key position players to come with experience from other clubs, Gardner, Keath, Trengove, Bruce and Schache, and if you assume English is a ruckman and there is a point of difference there, we only really have Naughton as a KPP we have developed. Even Adams and Hamling had some more exposure before we acquired them and we couldn't make anything out of Collins and probably preferred to be a KP short than use Roughead the way the Pies have.

While I get your point regarding Young I think we should jettison both Young and Schache if the best we can offer them is a combined 3 games for a season.

Personally I would like to keep (but play) both of them but they will likely struggle next season as well.

Essendon, North and Hawks should all be in touch for Schache. Crows and North for Young
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Axe Man View Post
    Had to laugh at this:

I know Melbourne is closer to Albury than Sydney but it's not like he's going to be able to jump in the car and go see his sister too often at around a 4 hour drive.
    A bit like Harbrow wanting to be closer to his family in Cairns
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Can someone tell me why Carlton is such a desirable destination for all these players?
    Our 1954 premiership players are our heroes, and it has to be said that Charlie was their hero.

17. Likes Dry Rot liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by comrade View Post
    Can someone tell me why Carlton is such a desirable destination for all these players?
    Corporate opportunities might be one factor
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

Post Thanks / Like

All of the financial benefit with zero expectation to ever be any good.
    - I'm a visionary - Only here to confirm my biases -

Post Thanks / Like

Because unquestionably they've found a way to continue to deliver third party contracts.
    "It's over. It's all over."