Thanks Thanks:  213
Likes Likes:  888
Page 53 of 122 FirstFirst ... 3434445464748495051525354555657585960616263103 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: List Management for 2020/21

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    You draft the best player at your pick, so why is it perplexing?
    Well that would have been a better draft strategy than whatever we did.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The Underdog View Post
    Isn’t he a very similar player to Weightman that we’re sitting directly in Weightman’s path to senior opportunities?
    It makes our draft strategy from last year particularly perplexing.
    If Weightman's good enough he'll get opportunities. Forward of the ball is an area we need help in.

I have little faith in Dale, Schache, Lloyd, Gowers, Greene, Cavarra and Weightman will be a second year player who may not be ready for a while yet.
    I have Wallis, VDM and Naughton in our forward mix - and I'm hoping Bruce bounces back. Beyond that the field is open.
    Western Bulldogs: 2016 Premiers

Post Thanks / Like

Well that would have been a better draft strategy than whatever we did.
    Quite a few of us wanted Kemp, and the club were pretty open about wanting Kosi Pickett to slide to our pick.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bulldogsthru&thru View Post
    Yeah we're building one heck of a Footscray team that not surprisingly plays with no heart or desire and crumbles under any physical pressure.
    Quote Originally Posted by bulldogsthru&thru View Post
    The players mentioned are fairly similar in certain characteristics which are meaning they aren’t getting regular senior games.
    The wording you used seems to be applying to Footscray?

I can't agree with what you have written. I think all the players or majority anyway would be playing with heart and desire, but what you have to think is maybe the players you are referring to may just not be good enough at AFL level. Doesn't mean they are not trying.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mofra View Post
    Quite a few of us wanted Kemp, and the club were pretty open about wanting Kosi Pickett to slide to our pick.
    There was also Robertson available and clearly in hindsight Georgiades is a much higher ceiling pick. I mean I get the rationalisation for picking Weightman but I doubt it was a best player available scenario. It definitely feels more like they went fit.

Post Thanks / Like

If Weightman's good enough he'll get opportunities. Forward of the ball is an area we need help in.

I have little faith in Dale, Schache, Lloyd, Gowers, Greene, Cavarra and Weightman will be a second year player who may not be ready for a while yet.
    I have Wallis, VDM and Naughton in our forward mix - and I'm hoping Bruce bounces back. Beyond that the field is open.
    Yeah, I just find it odd that they’re openly targeting a player who is so similar to a guy they drafted first round last year.

Post Thanks / Like

There was also Robertson available and clearly in hindsight Georgiades is a much higher ceiling pick. I mean I get the rationalisation for picking Weightman but I doubt it was a best player available scenario. It definitely feels more like they went fit.
    Wasn't it reported that we spoke to Georgiadis? He was considered a bolter when Port took him in the late teens.
    Having JUH this year may have swayed opinion too.

Post Thanks / Like

Yeah, I just find it odd that they’re openly targeting a player who is so similar to a guy they drafted first round last year.
    I'm not sure he is that comparable to the way Weightman plays. We only got glimpses of Flea and he doesn't look ready, a year or two of development will do him good.

I'm not sure it's worth placing all of our hopes on an untied kid when a cheap mature option becomes available, especially in light of more directly comparable types (Dale, llod, Gowers) falling off a cliff.

Post Thanks / Like

Wasn't it reported that we spoke to Georgiadis? He was considered a bolter when Port took him in the late teens.
    Having JUH this year may have swayed opinion too.
    It may have, but it has certainly never stopped us taking a bolter before if they are the best available. Sometimes they even end up as your captain.
    JUH factoring in just sways it to the fact that maybe they went for fit.

Post Thanks / Like

It may have, but it has certainly never stopped us taking a bolter before if they are the best available. Sometimes they even end up as your captain.
    JUH factoring in just sways it to the fact that maybe they went for fit.
    I think we did go for fit - anyone who can play forward of the ball. Weren't we also heavily into Miles Bergman who was drafted just before Weightman, by Port?
    We haven't seen him at AFL level yet but was projected to be a HF type with a good kick.

I'll watch a few of the kids taken just after Weightman with interest - not least of all Kemp who many thought would have been top ten if he didn't hurt is knee pre-draft.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    Dale contracted to 2022, Lloyd 2021, Schache 2022

Gowers and Greene 2020.
    Dale kicked 16 goals in the last 10 games in 2017, played as a traditional falf forward.

Dale kicked 20 goals in the last 6 games in 2019, played as a traditional half forward.

In those 16 games only 3 were goalless. 36 goals from 16 games is better than anyone they are likely to recruit. There’s obviously talent there.

Can we just play the players we have in the positions they are best suited to? This *#*!.! Experimentation is killing me.

12. Likes DOG GOD, Dry Rot liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I think Dale will get there. Get a body on him and he'd be great. The only thing missing is hardness maybe, which is not something you can teach.

Post Thanks / Like

Hannah is a replacement for Dickson. Good overhead, kicks straight. Maybe not as straight as Dicko but straighter than most on our list.
    They say Burt Lancaster has one, but I don't believe them.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Twodogs View Post
    Hannah is a replacement for Dickson. Good overhead, kicks straight. Maybe not as straight as Dicko but straighter than most on our list.
    But is he best 22?
    I will never see #16 the same!!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DOG GOD View Post
    But is he best 22?
    Probably not but every club needs depth players and he won't cost a fortune at the trade table. He also brings a skill set that we will find valuable. I saw a fair bit of him playing for Footscray and I reckon that he will provide a good return for a 4/5th rounder. He's a mature body who is ready to go.
    They say Burt Lancaster has one, but I don't believe them.