Thanks Thanks:  213
Likes Likes:  888
Page 68 of 122 FirstFirst ... 18585960616263646566676869707172737475767778118 ... LastLast
Results 1,006 to 1,020 of 1817
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: List Management for 2020/21

Quote Originally Posted by Mofra View Post
    So.... whispers that Elliot Yeo is gettable....
    Come again? How is this even possible?

Don't tell Essington.
    But then again, I'm an Internet poster and Bevo is a premiership coach so draw your own conclusions.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ledge View Post
    Good reference point actually.
    A bit like English good against the mediocre in the ruck.
    Don’t get me wrong Engish is a very good player just not in the ruck.
    Cox is a very limited player, when the ball hits the ground he is nowhere as good as English.
    A good forward as a target up high but a very mediocre ruck , pretty much a one trick pony.
    Is English bad in the ruck? or just not good enough.
    You don't develop courage by being happy in your relationships every day. You develop it by surviving difficult times and challenging adversity. ― Epicurus

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ghost Dog View Post
    Personally, not good enough to be the #1 ruck.
    Ideally we would have a Goldstein/nankervis type as our #1 and English as #2 for mine, and I would get English to roam between the 50’s.
    I will never see #16 the same!!

Post Thanks / Like

He can beat up on the bad ruckmen and shows ability at times against good ones but mostly gets beat up by them.

Post Thanks / Like

GD I will give you a different view. At his age he is tracking just as well as the Goldys of the world at the same age.

He gets beaten by the better ruckman, but another couple of years and he will be a big weapon
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

6. Likes 1eyedog, Bulldog4life liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    GD I will give you a different view. At his age he is tracking just as well as the Goldys of the world at the same age.

He gets beaten by the better ruckman, but another couple of years and he will be a big weapon

He is already a big weapon. Just not in the ruck.

Elimination final: 8 hitouts. A dozen might have won the game.

And the rest of the team isn’t being moulded around his strengths.

Elimination final: in the first quarter Bulldog players spoiled his attempts at marking 3 times. Why are they anywhere near him in those situations?

Post Thanks / Like

He is a big weapon as an around the ground tall, when he is playing with confidence. He was immense in the West Coast game (no NicNat) apart from the ruck.

He can get hitouts to advantage, but his ruck ability is way below standard. It may get to standard, but it may not.

Bevo likes the really tall midfielder he brings but I think we need a strategy to neutralise the ruck.
    Life is to be Enjoyed not Endured

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the perspective Danjul, Bad and BJoe.

Incredible agility for the height. What were they feeding him as a lad?
    I'd prefer we not destroy his body in the ruck too early. Great highlights reel so far.
    We are a bit impatient and forget how young these guys are.
    You don't develop courage by being happy in your relationships every day. You develop it by surviving difficult times and challenging adversity. ― Epicurus

Post Thanks / Like

Agreed. He is young and is rucking alone. What do people expect?
    But then again, I'm an Internet poster and Bevo is a premiership coach so draw your own conclusions.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 1eyedog View Post
    Many don’t expect a young, underdeveloped ruckman to ruck alone for years to the detriment of both him and the team.

A brilliant midfield is dragged down, the backline is put under unnecessary pressure and the opposition is made more confident.

Elimination final: It took St Kilda 6 seconds from the starting siren to get the ball within 30 metres of goal.

This raises the stress levels for the supporters who anticipated a ruck stuff up (because they had watched game 2 of the season).

12. Likes EasternWest, DOG GOD liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 1eyedog View Post
    Exactly, I did say give him a few more years, plus he is tracking the same as some of the best rucks in Goldy and Gawn at the same age.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Exactly, I did say give him a few more years, plus he is tracking the same as some of the best rucks in Goldy and Gawn at the same age.
    I think the issue is... 2 years is a long time and if winning ruck contests is important, we need to start that from next year. In 2 years the rest of the squad are 2 years older and that means some playing worse than now.

English should be developed. But not at the detriment to our chances of winning a flag. It feels like it would hurt us next year if we don’t have another decent ruck.

Post Thanks / Like

I just think he isn’t big enough in the upper body yet and learnt all the craft, I believe he will be good though eventually.
    Bring back the biff

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ledge View Post
    I just think he isn’t big enough in the upper body yet and learnt all the craft, I believe he will be good though eventually.
    I believe he is plenty big enough, but he does not have the craft.
    Life is to be Enjoyed not Endured

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bulldog Joe View Post
    I believe he is plenty big enough, but he does not have the craft.
    This is my viewpoint as well.

I really think he is actually the perfect second ruck. I look at what St.Kilda did, they had Rowan Marshall who had a fantastic year as the sole ruck but realised he was good enough to hold his own as a spare tall and they brought in Ryder to do the bulk of the ruckwork releasing Marshall to contribute elsewhere. I think if we did similiar, using someone like Goldstein, it would make us a better side and English a better player.

We've talked a little about getting a third tall forward in to help English but the obvious targets like Cox and Wright do not compliment our forward setup with Bruce and Naughton at all. I think English does.
    I should leave it alone but you're not right

18. Likes EasternWest, Happy Days liked this post