Thanks Thanks:  213
Likes Likes:  888
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: List Management for 2020/21

Quote Originally Posted by bulldogtragic View Post
    Most, except Bevo...
    Imagine if Roarke has a 9-10 year career spent entirely on the rookie list. That’d be an eker category all of its own.

2. Likes bulldogtragic, EasternWest, Dry Rot liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

AFL clubs tonight informed they’ll be able to move two players straight from the senior to rookie list. Those players will avoid draft process, eg being delisted then re-rookied.Helps with list size constraints & salary cap ($80k of rookie contracts sit outside cap)
    - Mitch Cleary

4. Thanks jeemak, josie thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by hujsh View Post
    - Mitch Cleary
    So would we pick perhaps 1 or 2 more late draft picks then envisaged as a result of this. And if so who do you reckon we might delist & put on rookie list? Recall Roarke was/is already on rookie list. Hayes? Cavarra? Lloyd? Sweet?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by josie View Post
    So would we pick perhaps 1 or 2 more late draft picks then envisaged as a result of this. And if so who do you reckon we might delist & put on rookie list? Recall Roarke was/is already on rookie list. Hayes? Cavarra? Lloyd? Sweet?
    Remember we've genuinely been in a club visual blackout since preseason, we've got no idea!

I reckon if anyone Hayes and Lloyd.
    Nobody's looking for a puppeteer in today's wintry economic climate.

Post Thanks / Like

Updated with 2 Direct Rookie Rule:

Breaking down like this as an example, if Bevo wants to keep Roarke, with Hayes & Cavarra to RL (currently uncontracted)

37 Main List - 34 already contracted, JUH & MacPherson - so one more pick (Raak insurance??) OR one DFA (Jetta etc)
    5 Rookie List A - Sweet, Gardner, *Smith re-rookied as a live pick (re-sets his 3 years), Hayes & Cavarra direct
    2 Rookie List B - Khamis, *Raak

The maximum list number is reached.

Then it's:

In: JUH, MacPherson, Raak, *DFA or Live ND Pick, Treloar, Martin, Hannan, Hayes & Cavarra (RL)
    Out: Dickson (ret), JT, Suckling, Greene, Lynch, Porter, Gowers, Young, Hayes & Cavarra (ML)

As a rough guide.
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

8. Thanks josie, Grantysghost thanked for this post
    Likes bornadog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Rocket Science View Post
    I'm confident that won't stop up putting it on his head with regularity.
    Just to see him reach into the heavens. I think he likes that.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by azabob View Post
    Historically you have been a strong advocate for the club not cutting the list deep enough.

What excuses do you see Beveridge inventing for our poor results?

I also use to think our list was better than it was.

I truly went into 2017 and 2018 thinking we'd be a top four team. I even held out hope we'd be a top six team in 2020 but if anything we went backwards compared to 2019.

If its not the list - what needs to change for us to be top four?
    We are not far off. Beaten by 3 points. Time beat us. Much better than being belted off the park like the year before.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bulldog4life View Post
    We are not far off. Beaten by 3 points. Time beat us. Much better than being belted off the park like the year before.
    Many people stopped watching the game at 3/4 time. I think St Kilda lost interest too.

After all, it must be boring to always be so far ahead. Gotta feel sorry for them and Carlton, they are probably hoping for more competitive opposition from the Dogs next year (I am).

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bulldog4life View Post
    I think if we had played Geelong or Richmond (grand finalists like GWS were the year prior) we would have been belted off the park. We were awful against the saints. It was extremely disappointing to put out such a performance after the debacle the year before. We certainly do not respond when we say we will. We’re all talk at the moment. This comes back to the list and, as discussed in other threads, having too many nice guys and not enough guys who will cause havoc anytime anywhere. We still haven’t adresse this.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bulldogsthru&thru View Post
    I think if we had played Geelong or Richmond (grand finalists like GWS were the year prior) we would have been belted off the park. We were awful against the saints. It was extremely disappointing to put out such a performance after the debacle the year before. We certainly do not respond when we say we will. We’re all talk at the moment. This comes back to the list and, as discussed in other threads, having too many nice guys and not enough guys who will cause havoc anytime anywhere. We still haven’t adresse this.
    You can't say that, every game is different.

The fact is we lost by 3 points and could have won, but we didn't. Anyone thinking the Saints eased up is just nonsense. It was a final and they were out to win, so why would they just take it easy.

How about some praise for the boys fighting it out instead of just giving in like we did the previous years final.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

I think the short quarters suited the Saints this year. It will be interesting seeing players like Ryder seeing out a full game next year, particularly with reduced interchange. Conversely our extra midfielders and endurance players should benefit from this. Bevo spoke about the impact of these changes in his breakfast interview this morning.
    "I'll give him a hug before the first bounce and then I'll run into my pack and give them orders to rip him apart."

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    You can't say that, every game is different.

The fact is we lost by 3 points and could have won, but we didn't. Anyone thinking the Saints eased up is just nonsense. It was a final and they were out to win, so why would they just take it easy.

How about some praise for the boys fighting it out instead of just giving in like we did the previous years final.
    Meh I can say it if I want

Sure we didn’t fold. I’m not saying the saints went easy, rather I think they tried to save the game which meant their natural game went away and allowed us back in.

But frankly, all season I’ve seen the same lame excuses trotted out: "a little more time and we could have won" or "if we had kicked straighter we would have won" or the often "take out one bad quarter and we win". I hate it. Fact is we’re a middling side and we have lots of work to do to crack the top 4 which is where our list, on paper, should be pushing. We simply need to harden up and work a hell of a lot harder for each other. That’ll go a very long way. I’m not convinced the list has it in them but I haven’t given up hope.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bulldogsthru&thru View Post
    Meh I can say it if I want

Sure we didn’t fold. I’m not saying the saints went easy, rather I think they tried to save the game which meant their natural game went away and allowed us back in.

But frankly, all season I’ve seen the same lame excuses trotted out: "a little more time and we could have won" or "if we had kicked straighter we would have won" or the often "take out one bad quarter and we win". I hate it. Fact is we’re a middling side and we have lots of work to do to crack the top 4 which is where our list, on paper, should be pushing. We simply need to harden up and work a hell of a lot harder for each other. That’ll go a very long way. I’m not convinced the list has it in them but I haven’t given up hope.
    We weren't good enough during the season, and there are no excuses, except one - we don't have the right players in the right positions. We are still short a good KPD and time will tell whether our small forwards will be better and whether the ruck situation has been solved.

List management is important and we have shedded some of the players that were not up to it, and like every season there are question marks on some still on the list.

No doubt we will be better next season (on paper) by adding Treloar, Martin, Hannan, and the number one kid in the country JUH and hopefully Bruce gets back to his best.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

17. Likes SquirrelGrip liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Roarke Smith, Hayes & Cavarra have been delisted. We've committed to re-drafting Smith, wait and see what we do with the other two.

https://www.westernbulldogs.com.au/news/838262
    Our 1954 premiership players are our heroes, and it has to be said that Charlie was their hero.

19. Thanks bornadog thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by comrade View Post
    Roarke Smith, Hayes & Cavarra have been delisted. We've committed to re-drafting Smith, wait and see what we do with the other two.

https://www.westernbulldogs.com.au/news/838262
    Keep on ekeing Roarke! Does that mean we will re-draft him to main list or rookie list?

I like that we are keeping our options open for our final rookie list spots.

Any chance that we will ever mention Khamis? I don't think there has ever been an official update on his contract status since we drafted him yet somehow he remains???