Thanks Thanks:  213
Likes Likes:  888
Page 18 of 122 FirstFirst ... 891011121314151617181920212223242526272868118 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: List Management for 2020/21

Given we haven't been able to attract any indigenous players at the trade table and we're open about wanting a small pressure forward, surely we take one or two late in the draft/at the rookie draft?
    I know we've been linked to Lonie and Bedford but cost vs output may not work in our favour if other clubs are willing to let them go.

It's not like a Lloyd situation where he was squeezed out of a premiership side, or a Hamling who was competing with super-talented teammates.
    Western Bulldogs: 2016 Premiers

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The Bulldogs Bite View Post
    While I know what you mean and where you're coming from, I think you're selling him short. He's basically a bigger version of Wallis; works very hard, hard at the contest/man, good in one on ones, solid skills without being spectacular.

He'd easily get a game with us every week.
    Agreed I'm not adverse to looking at him. Is far better than others are giving him credit for and while I think he needs to play in a good team to really play to his strengths there's no doubting his commitment to the contest and his ability to play his role. He looks good up the field and I see him taking the Lloyd / Dale role high lead up forward so feel there may be an opportunity for him.

This is the type of role I'd like to see Schache perform but that doesn't look like its going to eventuate.
    But then again, I'm an Internet poster and Bevo is a premiership coach so draw your own conclusions.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mofra View Post
    Given we haven't been able to attract any indigenous players at the trade table and we're open about wanting a small pressure forward, surely we take one or two late in the draft/at the rookie draft?
    I know we've been linked to Lonie and Bedford but cost vs output may not work in our favour if other clubs are willing to let them go.

It's not like a Lloyd situation where he was squeezed out of a premiership side, or a Hamling who was competing with super-talented teammates.
    Have we been linked with Bedford? Haven’t seen anything, wouldn’t mind him though
    Float Along - Fill Your Lungs

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Grantysghost View Post
    Mihocek is a product of expansion, he probably doesn't get a gig as a forward in other generations. Hes an average player at best without any redeeming qualities of note. Average I mean just that I know it has negative connotations but I mean hes just bog standard.
    Tries hard, drops marks in the goal square. That type of guy.
    Stephenson I would take as he has some real points of difference, pending the d1ckhead test or our ability to manage that type of personality.
    29, 36 and 18 (so far) is a real solid and consistent return.

You are selling him real short. He is a good competitor and a tough matchup for teams 2nd/3rd defender.

He isn't a superstar and won't get you 5 or 6 goal match winning performances but he is super consistent.

5. Likes Mofra liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The Pie Man View Post
    Have we been linked with Bedford? Haven’t seen anything, wouldn’t mind him though
    There was a couple of articles mentioning we're targetting small pressure forwards, and Lonie and Bedford were the two names given.
    I'm a little 'meh' on both but Weightman doesn't seem to play like a small crumbing forward and Cavarra is a maybe at best.

Post Thanks / Like

There was a couple of articles mentioning we're targetting small pressure forwards, and Lonie and Bedford were the two names given.
    I'm a little 'meh' on both but Weightman doesn't seem to play like a small crumbing forward and Cavarra is a maybe at best.
    I think Weightman is , in the small sample we have of him playing AFL did you see his miraculous goal out of a pack ?
    I’m sure he will be that but just isn’t big enough yet.
    Of course he will play other positions too because that’s the Beveridge way.
    Bring back the biff

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ledge View Post
    I think Weightman is , in the small sample we have of him playing AFL did you see his miraculous goal out of a pack ?
    I’m sure he will be that but just isn’t big enough yet.
    Of course he will play other positions too because that’s the Beveridge way.
    A sample size of one doesn't compare favourably to his junior career. He's more a Jamie Elliott type than a crumbing forward. The club has all but admitted as much by targeting a crumbing forward in this upcoming trade period.

Post Thanks / Like

A sample size of one doesn't compare favourably to his junior career. He's more a Jamie Elliott type than a crumbing forward. The club has all but admitted as much by targeting a crumbing forward in this upcoming trade period.
    Makes the Weightman draft selecton a touch questionable, as I felt at the time we went for a needs type pick so we went with the best small forward available over purely best available .

Not writing him off but if he doesn't have the crumbing, tackling string to his bow, is he really adding anything more to our list than Lloyd, Dale, Greene, Wallis etc?
    Our 1954 premiership players are our heroes, and it has to be said that Charlie was their hero.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by comrade View Post
    Makes the Weightman draft selecton a touch questionable, as I felt at the time we went for a needs type pick so we went with the best small forward available over purely best available .

Not writing him off but if he doesn't have the crumbing, tackling string to his bow, is he really adding anything more to our list than Lloyd, Dale, Greene, Wallis etc?
    Not sure who we could have picked after Weightman. Maybe Georgiadis?
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    Obviously too early to make a call on Weightman and anyone else in that draft (besides Rowell who is guaranteed to play 250+ games), but Georgiadis is looking the goods, and I think Kemp will also be a quality footballer.
    Our 1954 premiership players are our heroes, and it has to be said that Charlie was their hero.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by comrade View Post
    Makes the Weightman draft selecton a touch questionable...
    A TOUCH?

lol.
    What should I tell her? She's going to ask.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mjp View Post
    A TOUCH?

lol.
    Yeah gotta admit I haven't really been stoked with what I've seen.
    - I'm a visionary - Only here to confirm my biases -

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    I wanted Kemp.
    IIRC we were linked to Bergman (in the media) who went just before Flea.

The again I wanted Cahill as a late pick or Josh Honey (Jets boy) as a pressure forward.

Post Thanks / Like

What has happened with Weightman. Feel like I haven't even seen his name in the scratch match reports in ages. Is he going that bad he can't manage a goal?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by hujsh View Post
    What has happened with Weightman. Feel like I haven't even seen his name in the scratch match reports in ages. Is he going that bad he can't manage a goal?
    I don't think it's that.

He's just a kid who isn't anywhere close to being ready. From what I understand his personality is such that he is going to 'get there' but there is no doubt we targeted him as a goalkicker...Not really sure of the plan to be honest but I don't think you could mount an argument on draft day that he was best available and - if you had - that would have been dismissed based on the evidence of the season that has followed.

That said - Melbourne genuinely plucked Pickett (who we were also supposed to be after) from a similarly 'low' base and he has shown some glimpses...I don't know - you have to swing for the fences I guess. I just didn't quite understand the plan with the Weightman selection and I understand it less now. Then again, I liked the Cavarra selection and he has looked miles off it so what do I even know?
    What should I tell her? She's going to ask.