Thanks Thanks:  213
Likes Likes:  888
Page 19 of 122 FirstFirst ... 9101112131415161718192021222324252627282969119 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: List Management for 2020/21

Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post
    I know this is just a bit of speculation but if so over the years Collingwood have managed these sort of indiscretions better than most
    Do we have an appetite to take on someone who 'might' be difficult?
    Managed it as in gotten away with it due to their media and commercial profile?
    Nobody's looking for a puppeteer in today's wintry economic climate.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Axe Man View Post
    I reckon he would be our second best forward, only behind Naughton. He's not a superstar but average is underselling him for mine.
    He would be our second best forward until we got a hold of him!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mjp View Post
    I don't think it's that.

He's just a kid who isn't anywhere close to being ready. From what I understand his personality is such that he is going to 'get there' but there is no doubt we targeted him as a goalkicker...Not really sure of the plan to be honest but I don't think you could mount an argument on draft day that he was best available and - if you had - that would have been dismissed based on the evidence of the season that has followed.

That said - Melbourne genuinely plucked Pickett (who we were also supposed to be after) from a similarly 'low' base and he has shown some glimpses...I don't know - you have to swing for the fences I guess. I just didn't quite understand the plan with the Weightman selection and I understand it less now. Then again, I liked the Cavarra selection and he has looked miles off it so what do I even know?
    Bont says hi!

Weightman seemed like a bit of an overreach, though at that section of a compromised draft it gets pretty blurry. We tried to address a need and our most favoured pick was taken before we got to call a name. I wanted the fat guy from SA...…….how's he going?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jeemak View Post
    Bont says hi!

Weightman seemed like a bit of an overreach, though at that section of a compromised draft it gets pretty blurry. We tried to address a need and our most favoured pick was taken before we got to call a name. I wanted the fat guy from SA...…….how's he going?
    Foggerty? Still fat and in and out of the Crows team... you guessed it.... due to work ethic.

On Weightman I actually said very early in this very thread I would be open to trading him now. It would be a risk as development of first year players surely has to be impacted due to the lack of VFL footy and everything else that has gone on in 2020.
    More of an In Bruges guy?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by azabob View Post
    Foggerty? Still fat and in and out of the Crows team... you guessed it.... due to work ethic.

On Weightman I actually said very early in this very thread I would be open to trading him now. It would be a risk as development of first year players surely has to be impacted due to the lack of VFL footy and everything else that has gone on in 2020.
    I'd give the kid a chance, but I don't think he'll play like a first rounder i that makes sense.
    If he can develop into a half-decent "short" medium forward, I'd take that. A Dickson/Lloyd type with a similar ceiling.
    He just doesn't scream a small evasive crumbing type we need, hence our search at this year's trade period.
    Western Bulldogs: 2016 Premiers

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mofra View Post
    I'd give the kid a chance, but I don't think he'll play like a first rounder i that makes sense.
    If he can develop into a half-decent "short" medium forward, I'd take that. A Dickson/Lloyd type with a similar ceiling.
    He just doesn't scream a small evasive crumbing type we need, hence our search at this year's trade period.
    If he averages a goal a game over a 150+ game career it will be a great pick.

I agree we should keep him, as 2020 is a dead year in terms of development.
    More of an In Bruges guy?

7. Likes mjp liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by azabob View Post

He’s talking about Gould, who I’m pretty sure is legit the only player on their whole list not to crack it for a game this year.
    - I'm a visionary - Only here to confirm my biases -

9. Thanks azabob thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I don't think it's that.

He's just a kid who isn't anywhere close to being ready. From what I understand his personality is such that he is going to 'get there' but there is no doubt we targeted him as a goalkicker...Not really sure of the plan to be honest but I don't think you could mount an argument on draft day that he was best available and - if you had - that would have been dismissed based on the evidence of the season that has followed.

That said - Melbourne genuinely plucked Pickett (who we were also supposed to be after) from a similarly 'low' base and he has shown some glimpses...I don't know - you have to swing for the fences I guess. I just didn't quite understand the plan with the Weightman selection and I understand it less now. Then again, I liked the Cavarra selection and he has looked miles off it so what do I even know?
    Until recently I would’ve agreed re: Cav, but I thought he was stiff to get dropped when he did. If he was given the run that Gardner has been, I suspect you might see similar results.

Worth persevering with or have you seen enough?
    Float Along - Fill Your Lungs

Post Thanks / Like

If my memory serves me correct Pickett was our first choice and Weightman was next. To be fair on the kid this has been a rotten season to come into a club for any young player. He showed in a few glimpses that there is definitely something there to work on. He shouldn't even be on our radar to trade him.

Post Thanks / Like

I do have reservations about our whole draft last year. Weightman seemed a 'reach' while Butler is a decent kid, but if we are reaching for position in the first round but taking the best available in the last round that seems arse-backwards to me.

Post Thanks / Like

I don't think it's that.

My memory serves that Melbourne and a few others were into Weightman as well, he did pretty well at the champs I think he booted 10 goals or something. I'm not sure where the negativity is coming from, what I've seen so far he looks to have the toolset of a small forward if we were recruiting for type. If it's regarding what we could have got, well after one year it's a little premature although I trust those with more knowledge than me. If I had to choose again now, definitely would go with Georgiades but ask me again at the end of the next 2 or 3 years

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The Pie Man View Post
    Until recently I would’ve agreed re: Cav, but I thought he was stiff to get dropped when he did. If he was given the run that Gardner has been, I suspect you might see similar results.

Worth persevering with or have you seen enough?
    I know Cavarra kicked a couple of goals in his last game but I didn't think he was great in terms of effort/impact around the drop of the ball. Yes - one of those goals came from a skilful mark...but to me:
    1/. He shouldn't have been the one marking it.
    2/. When goals > tackles as a small forward you have your focus a little backwards...goals should be the result of pressure, not the result of flukey marks.

I think he would be unlucky to be delisted but I can understand why the coaches have been reluctant to play him.
    What should I tell her? She's going to ask.

Post Thanks / Like

I think it's pretty clear none of the small forwards on our list are what we currently need in the forward line. That is, tackling pressure and crumbing ability with that quick sense for goal. All our small forwards, whilst still able to provide value, are more marking forwards. This is what annoys me about us being linked to Lonie. He's just another small marking forward.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Grantysghost View Post
    If I had to choose again now, definitely would go with Georgiades but ask me again at the end of the next 2 or 3 years
    But...Georgiades isn't a small forward either.

This is what I don't get sometimes...why would we want Georgiades if we have Schache, Dale, Lloyd, Dickson and - I guess - Wallis?

We can't play them all. If we recruit Georgiades, well, clear out those in front of him. I guess that's why I was frustrated with the Garcia selection - if we want Garcia, then why exactly are we keeping Porter?

Weightman is fine but he is not really a small forward...so what actually IS he? When we have the answer to that question then we will know whether he is going to be a player or not. My negativity is not aimed at the kid - I was frustrated at draft time that we spent a first round pick at a critical time in our development on a player with no clear skillset and - more importantly - no clear role at senior level.

As I said in the piece you quoted - apparently he has a good attitude and mindset so will get there in the end...I just think he should have been a rookie selection and not a first round pick.
    What should I tell her? She's going to ask.

Post Thanks / Like

We can't play them all. If we recruit Georgiades, well, clear out those in front of him. I guess that's why I was frustrated with the Garcia selection - if we want Garcia, then why exactly are we keeping Porter?
    Was it mentioned somewhere we see him as being able to play as a small defender?

That makes it a really weird draft - we said we took Butler (who played HB in his draft year) with the idea of developing him on the wing, and that he wasn't being played on the wing because he was pushed out by others.
    Cody as a small pressure/crumbing forward when he played more like a marking forward
    Garcia as a (?) utility when he was playing midfield.

I'm kind of glad we have NGA/FS kids this year so we can plan our trade period knowing exactly who we are getting on draft day.