Thanks Thanks:  213
Likes Likes:  888
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: List Management for 2020/21

Quote Originally Posted by The Doctor View Post
    I'd be keeping a spot for the mid season draft next year.
    Can’t we use McLeans spot for a mid season draft as he will be out all year.
    Bring back the biff

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The Doctor View Post
    I'd be keeping a spot for the mid season draft next year.
    Yes. Even two.
    I should leave it alone but you're not right

Post Thanks / Like

Roarke was good enought to be picked for the last 4 games of the year (including the final) when the list was pretty healthy. I shouldn't be a surprise that we've committed to retaining him.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ozza View Post
    Roarke was good enought to be picked for the last 4 games of the year (including the final) when the list was pretty healthy. I shouldn't be a surprise that we've committed to retaining him.
    Not sure anyone thinks it's a surprise we have re-committed to him.

I think if he was delisted - that would be the surprise.
    More of an In Bruges guy?

Post Thanks / Like

With Hayes & Cavarra added to the rookie list we now have 39 contracted players (34 primary, 4 category A rookies & 1 category B rookie).

JUH & Roarke Smith will be added (JUH - primary, Roarke - ?)

By my calculations that leaves 2 more available list spots on the primary/category A rookie list and 1 spot on the category B list (perhaps Raak).

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Axe Man View Post
    With Hayes & Cavarra added to the rookie list we now have 39 contracted players (34 primary, 4 category A rookies & 1 category B rookie).

JUH & Roarke Smith will be added (JUH - primary, Roarke - ?)

By my calculations that leaves 2 more available list spots on the primary/category A rookie list and 1 spot on the category B list (perhaps Raak).
    Bang on. Roarke will be ‘redrafted’. Raak to Cat B would be nice. Assuming MacPherson is drafted too (3+ Clubs wanted him at the combine). We have either another live pick or a DFA option. An interest choice to make.
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

Post Thanks / Like

Very happy Ben Cavarra has another chance in RWB. Hope he has a few chances at senior level & does well.

I think we sometimes become enamoured with idea of picking a gem in later picks, however sometimes sticking with mature bodies is the way to go. We cut pretty deep this year, overdue in some respects. Still so happy for Ben (& Will too).

8. Likes bornadog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bulldogtragic View Post
    Bang on. Roarke will be ‘redrafted’. Raak to Cat B would be nice. Assuming MacPherson is drafted too (3+ Clubs wanted him at the combine). We have either another live pick or a DFA option. An interest choice to make.
    Around 90 players were invited to combines across the country. I think they are only expecting around 60 players to be taken in the national draft so around 1 in 3 won't hear their name called in the main draft. That's not even accounting for perhaps the odd player drafted that didn't get a combine invite.

I haven't seen much mention of MacPherson at all in Phantom Drafts and the like. I think there is a fair chance he isn't nominated by another club, and if he is it appears likely to be late in the piece.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Axe Man View Post
    Around 90 players were invited to combines across the country. I think they are only expecting around 60 players to be taken in the national draft so around 1 in 3 won't hear their name called in the main draft. That's not even accounting for perhaps the odd player drafted that didn't get a combine invite.

I haven't seen much mention of MacPherson at all in Phantom Drafts and the like. I think there is a fair chance he isn't nominated by another club, and if he is it appears likely to be late in the piece.
    With our rookie spots full with the commitment on Roarke. If we want MacPherson it seems it's going to be the ND at some point. With the 197 point discount, he may well not cost us other than the pick, or worst case a small amount of points. From what I followed about him last year, I'd like him at the club. Cheap is even better.
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bulldogtragic View Post
    With our rookie spots full with the commitment on Roarke. If we want MacPherson it seems it's going to be the ND at some point. With the 197 point discount, he may well not cost us other than the pick, or worst case a small amount of points. From what I followed about him last year, I'd like him at the club. Cheap is even better.
    The other possibility if he isn't bid on could be that we take just take JUH and 1 other pick for the primary list and add Roarke and MacPherson to the rookie list and have the minimum 36 primary listed players plus 6 cat A rookies.

Post Thanks / Like

I'll be dissapointed if we don't leave at least one spot open for next season, either for someone who does a pre-season with us or for the mid season draft. There should be about 10-20 guys who aren't really on the radar based on their 2019 form in the u17s who should show some growth and potential by then, Bont or Macrae style.
    I should leave it alone but you're not right

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by soupaman View Post
    I'll be dissapointed if we don't leave at least one spot open for next season, either for someone who does a pre-season with us or for the mid season draft. There should be about 10-20 guys who aren't really on the radar based on their 2019 form in the u17s who should show some growth and potential by then, Bont or Macrae style.
    Mclean could go on long term injury list if we wanted someone mid season.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

I am one who is disappointed to hear that Cavarra and Hayes have been rookie listed.

They are only ever depth options in my view and they limit our chances to pick the next Morris/Boyd/Picken on the rookie list.

While our loyalty is admirable, it does not improve our list.
    Life is to be Enjoyed not Endured

15. Likes azabob, Happy Days, hujsh, 1eyedog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bulldog Joe View Post
    I am one who is disappointed to hear that Cavarra and Hayes have been rookie listed.

They are only ever depth options in my view and they limit our chances to pick the next Morris/Boyd/Picken on the rookie list.

Im of the opinion that one of them would have been a great depth compromise. both however is a bridge too far.

With treloar coming in, i cants ee a place for Hayes, unless he totally reinvents himself and turns into Ryan Crowley.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bulldog Joe View Post

It's an intriguing decision and one that we seem to make all too often. I think Reload sums it up nicely. Perhaps one of them might have been a decent option.

We certainly don't like parting with our toys even if we aren't using them

18. Likes Bulldog Joe liked this post