Thanks Thanks:  213
Likes Likes:  888
Page 119 of 122 FirstFirst ... 1969109110111112113114115116117118119120121122 LastLast
Results 1,771 to 1,785 of 1817
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: List Management for 2020/21

Will we replace him through the SSP system?

Could Alec Waterman (ex WCE) be an option? Had a great season in the WAFL & still young.
    Listening to Brahm's 3rd Racket

Post Thanks / Like

So McLean formally on the LTI means we get a go on the mid season draft and/or can promote Buku. And offer him hope.

Lloyd retiring gives us a free hit with a DFA. I'm partial to some experience, speed or winger. Slim pickens now, looks like there's Jetta, Cedric Cox (previously interested) or Shane Savage (had Bevo as a line coach at Hawthorn).

Any takers?
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bulldogtragic View Post
    So McLean formally on the LTI means we get a go on the mid season draft and/or can promote Buku. And offer him hope.

Lloyd retiring gives us a free hit with a DFA. I'm partial to some experience, speed or winger. Slim pickens now, looks like there's Jetta, Cedric Cox (previously interested) or Shane Savage (had Bevo as a line coach at Hawthorn).

Any takers?
    No.

Hold onto the list spot, get a couple of guys we think have high scope to do a pre-season with us, preferably including a small forward and a possible strong in the contest key defender, then if one of them really impresses give them the spot. Otherwise leave the spot blank and see who of the players that missed this draft impress in their 19th year and pick one of htem up in the mid season draft.

The DFA's mentioned do not help us.
    I should leave it alone but you're not right

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bulldogtragic View Post

Any takers?
    I know we spoke to Matt Eagles management whilst the trade period was open, wonder if we go down that path for another tall back/lockdown defender role now that we have another list spot open.

I know internally the club knows we need another tall down back.
    "Its always good to win the Ashes test match'' - Libba, AFL Grand Final, 2016

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Vred View Post
    I know we spoke to Matt Eagles management whilst the trade period was open, wonder if we go down that path for another tall back/lockdown defender role now that we have another list spot open.

I know internally the club knows we need another tall down back.
    And that we tried to draft Cody Brand is a good indicator as well

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post
    And that we tried to draft Cody Brand is a good indicator as well

Question is, is Matt Eagles the best tall/big defender out their right now we could nab for next to nothing? I can't think of anyone else that really springs to mind but I'm not all that in touch with the entire pool of available tall defenders who could potentially line up round one

Post Thanks / Like

Question is, is Matt Eagles the best tall/big defender out their right now we could nab for next to nothing? I can't think of anyone else that really springs to mind but I'm not all that in touch with the entire pool of available tall defenders who could potentially line up round one
    I'd be surprised if we are interested in him

Post Thanks / Like

Surely not on Eagles. He’s like what 32 and has never had a good game?
    - I'm a visionary - Only here to confirm my biases -

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Happy Days View Post
    Surely not on Eagles. He’s like what 32 and has never had a good game?

30, and yeah, I'd agree with you there.

Post Thanks / Like

Oscar McDonald come on down!

Post Thanks / Like

I think I'd rather see Lukas Markovic return than grab McDonald or Eagles.

Please use this opportunity that fell in our lap to recruit someone who could develop into something good in a position of need and is maybe indigenous. Huge chance to find someone with actual scope or take a chance with a list spot we didn't think would be available.
    I should leave it alone but you're not right

12. Likes The Bulldogs Bite liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by soupaman View Post

Please use this opportunity that fell in our lap to recruit someone who could develop into something good in a position of need and is maybe indigenous. Huge chance to find someone with actual scope or take a chance with a list spot we didn't think would be available.
    Yep, no need to over complicate it.

Really don't want to throw a lifeline to anyone who has already been tried at AFL level when we already have Roarke and Hayes on the list (and Cavarra to a certain extant...oh and Josh Bruce ). Let's try to unearth a diamond.
    Our 1954 premiership players are our heroes, and it has to be said that Charlie was their hero.

14. Likes Dry Rot liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Yep, no need to over complicate it.

Really don't want to throw a lifeline to anyone who has already been tried at AFL level when we already have Roarke and Hayes on the list (and Cavarra to a certain extant...oh and Josh Bruce ).

You can't hit a home run without taking big swings. No more bunts.
    Our 1954 premiership players are our heroes, and it has to be said that Charlie was their hero.

Post Thanks / Like

Don't worry, looks like McDonald is going to the blues if anywhere. Scharenberg is an interesting one. Undersized for a KPD but probably close to the most talented player not currently on a list, with injuries the major concern.

Carlton is considering throwing key defender Oscar McDonald an AFL lifeline.

The delisted Demon is expected to earn an invitation to pre-season training at the Blues, where he can press his claims for a late call-up to coach David Teague’s rookie list.

McDonald played all 25 games in his breakout 2018 campaign, before falling rapidly out of favour over the past 18 months.

The Ballarat boy played 81 games in six years at Melbourne and would provide further reinforcement for the Blues’ back six.

Carlton is still working through its pre-season training invitations and will settle on a list of names by the end of the week.

While McDonald, 24, has not yet officially received his letter, he is likely to make the cut.

Collingwood discard Matthew Scharenberg, 25, is another defender hoping to earn a second chance and could also hold appeal for the Blues.

Port Adelaide premiership coach Mark Williams described Scharenberg as the best schoolboy footballer he had seen since Wayne Carey, and Scharenberg was drafted at No. 6 in 2013.

But Scharenberg managed just 41 games at the Magpies as he battled three knee reconstructions.

Players invited to participate in pre-season training at AFL clubs are paid $1000 per week.

The Blues have been active in that space, with Josh Deluca, Lukas Webb, Matthew Cottrell and success story Michael Gibbons all earning call-ups in the past two years.

Clubs with vacant rookie list spots can officially sign players in the supplemental selection period, which runs from January 6 until March 9.

Link

Post Thanks / Like

Jono Marsh is also training with Carlton, they'll pick one of the two.
    Perhaps we don't take anyone and wait until mid year.
    Western Bulldogs: 2016 Premiers