Thanks Thanks:  213
Likes Likes:  888
Page 52 of 122 FirstFirst ... 2424344454647484950515253545556575859606162102 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: List Management for 2020/21

Quote Originally Posted by Happy Days View Post
    Why aren't WE getting Caldwell? He could play the mid-sized role far better than Hannan could anyway and could potentially be a better player in 12 months. We seem determined to fashion players out of the scraps left over from other teams rather than actually try to improve our side in any way other than immediately.

What is the absolute best case scenario with Hannan? Lloyd led our goalkicking and 12 months later is clogging the list. Could we realistically expect Hannan to even touch Lloyd's output? What is the point of any of this.
    Good question. Look I'm going to reserve my judgement until after the trade period is completed.....but if it ends up being Hannan and some other unknown reject from another club that we have no need for then, well, I'll be ropeable. But I will save that judgement for later

Post Thanks / Like

The worry with Hannan is it makes me wonder what our ambitions for the upcoming trade period are exactly . If these are the types of deals we are primarily putting our time into, without any contradictive evidence it's a little dissapointing. Especially when the Saints appear to be casting their ambitions in the space where I'd expect us to be. Time will tell. I'm ok with Hannan coming in, but it's hardly inspiring. Hopefully we have more irons in the fire.

3. Likes 1eyedog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Why aren't WE getting Caldwell? He could play the mid-sized role far better than Hannan could anyway and could potentially be a better player in 12 months. We seem determined to fashion players out of the scraps left over from other teams rather than actually try to improve our side in any way other than immediately.

What is the absolute best case scenario with Hannan? Lloyd led our goalkicking and 12 months later is clogging the list. Could we realistically expect Hannan to even touch Lloyd's output? What is the point of any of this.
    Caldwell may well cost our first round pick and then some and is still unproven. He's a midfielder, not a forward.
    Hannan will be a cheap role player forward of the ball. I don't think they're directly comparable.
    Western Bulldogs: 2016 Premiers

5. Likes jeemak, 1eyedog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

So meh.

Hannan is hopefully just a better version of Gowers, Greene, Lloyd, Schache, Dale, Weightman. They are all essentially the same player and we were reluctant to play any of them this season.

Hannan has some good attributes and could be a good player, but if we are getting him can we please get rid of almost all the guys listed above because we don't need more than 2 mid sized, non midfielder, medium pace, ok crumbing, pure forwards on our list.
    I should leave it alone but you're not right

7. Likes Sedat liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mofra View Post
    Caldwell may well cost our first round pick and then some and is still unproven. He's a midfielder, not a forward.
    Hannan will be a cheap role player forward of the ball. I don't think they're directly comparable.
    My point is more about our approach to trading. We never seem to target players who can make our team better long term when they might be available, but rather only look at guys who we think can play in a game tomorrow. As far as I can tell it's worked out twice, but is otherwise a good way to clog a list needlessly. Our trade record since as long as I can remember is filled with brutal additions that are easy fodder for joke and ridicule from opposition supporters and media and it's getting really old.

It's not that we aren't going to get Caldwell more to the point that I'm confident we never would have even considered it, and jumping all over another unexciting player like Hannan just fills me with apathy.
    - I'm a visionary - Only here to confirm my biases -

9. Likes Sedat, Dry Rot, 1eyedog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bulldogsthru&thru View Post
    Seriously what am I missing here? Isn't Hannan just like every other mid-sized marking forward we have on our list?

Are we stockpiling average players of the same position and capability and selling them off to chinese labour camps? Is this where the likes of Lynch, Young and Greene have disappeared to?
    Isn’t he a very similar player to Weightman that we’re sitting directly in Weightman’s path to senior opportunities?
    It makes our draft strategy from last year particularly perplexing.

11. Likes Dry Rot liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by soupaman View Post
    So meh.

Hannan is hopefully just a better version of Gowers, Greene, Lloyd, Schache, Dale. They are all essentially the same player and we were reluctant to play any of them this season.

Hannan has some good attributes and could be a good player, but if we are getting him can we please get rid of almost all the guys listed above because we don't need more than 2 mid sized, non midfielder, medium pace, ok crumbing, pure forwards on our list.
    Dale contracted to 2022, Lloyd 2021, Schache 2022

Gowers and Greene 2020.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The Underdog View Post
    Isn’t he a very similar player to Weightman that we’re sitting directly in Weightman’s path to senior opportunities?
    It makes our draft strategy from last year particularly perplexing.
    You draft the best player at your pick, so why is it perplexing?

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

My point is more about our approach to trading. We never seem to target players who can make our team better long term when they might be available, but rather only look at guys who we think can play in a game tomorrow. As far as I can tell it's worked out twice, but is otherwise a good way to clog a list needlessly. Our trade record since as long as I can remember is filled with brutal additions that are easy fodder for joke and ridicule from opposition supporters and media and it's getting really old.

It's not that we aren't going to get Caldwell more to the point that I'm confident we never would have even considered it, and jumping all over another unexciting player like Hannan just fills me with apathy.
    And we must have oodles of cap space. I know we will need to retain our existing talent but the saints are throwing big money at Caldwell, have signed Crouch on decent coin and threw a boatload at Hill and Hannebery. The cats going after Cameron and the blues have an unlimited pit of money. These clubs all need to retain their list too. Point is we should be able to splash some cash on one major target.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    Dale contracted to 2022, Lloyd 2021, Schache 2022

Gowers and Greene 2020.
    The 2021 Footscray forwardline right there.
    I should leave it alone but you're not right

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by soupaman View Post
    The 2021 Footscray forwardline right there.
    Yeah we're building one heck of a Footscray team that not surprisingly plays with no heart or desire and crumbles under any physical pressure.

17. Likes CarnTheScray liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Have we traded in any one apart from Keath (and Adelaide don't count) that their club wanted to keep? Seems like we are in the Forges flash sale bin (with accompanying portable siren lights) whilst most others are trying on Hugo Boss at DJ's. It took the joint having a major crisis for us to take a risk and get Boyd and that worked out well. For a game anyway.

Post Thanks / Like

Define "long term"?

This year, with JUH coming in, isn't the year to trade out all of our picks on a maybe. We did target Tom Boyd who we thought was going to be a long term player, and guys like Keath are 4-year KPPs for little cost which I'm more than happy with.
    Jack Martin, Wingard, they'd be around longer than 4 years as well if we managed to lure them.
    Western Bulldogs: 2016 Premiers

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bulldogsthru&thru View Post
    Yeah we're building one heck of a Footscray team that not surprisingly plays with no heart or desire and crumbles under any physical pressure.
    What does this actually mean?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    What does this actually mean?
    The players mentioned are fairly similar in certain characteristics which are meaning they aren’t getting regular senior games.