Thanks Thanks:  213
Likes Likes:  888
Page 54 of 122 FirstFirst ... 4444546474849505152535455565758596061626364104 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: List Management for 2020/21

Quote Originally Posted by soupaman View Post
    The fact that they still haven't made a call on that despite talking about it for literally months and trade period being effectively a week away is a great example of just how amateurish this league is. Their incompetence knows no bounds.

Meanwhile Gil and half the execs are chilling in Brisbane enjoying the social scene.
    Really? Who knows what 2021 brings, how we transition to Covid normal - whatever that is. Major music venues, all Theatres across Melbourne do not even have a single booking for 2021. In all honesty we don't know if we"ll have a 2021 season or what it will look like, how much money we have to pay players, how much revenue the AFL will have (which let's be honest will be the first consideration).

I'm not sure the AFL is soaking in the rays but they are certainly making hay while the sun shines because no one really knows how this is going to work let alone know what the right number of list places might be.

I assume they'll bask in the glow of actually having a GF this season and probably rightfully so, and then worry about the nitty gritty over the next few weeks.
    But then again, I'm an Internet poster and Bevo is a premiership coach so draw your own conclusions.

2. Likes jeemak liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 1eyedog View Post
    Really? Who knows what 2021 brings, how we transition to Covid normal - whatever that is. Major music venues, all Theatres across Melbourne do not even have a single booking for 2021. In all honesty we don't know if we"ll have a 2021 season or what it will look like, how much money we have to pay players, how much revenue the AFL will have (which let's be honest will be the first consideration).
    Exactly.

And we won't be any better informed on that in two weeks during trade period nor in a month when the draft is nor in two months when clubs are in the thick of pre-season.

Clubs/list managers at the moment have no official ruling on how much money they have to pay players, or even how many players they can employ. This is despite the off season list management period already starting, and players already being delisted, traded and recruited.

The AFL and AFLPA should make a call, whether that be reduced list sizes, a limited salary cap, whatever. Clubs and List managers have enough uncertainty going forward without the AFL adding to that by not making a decision. This isn't a surprise, it's been talked about all year so they've had plenty of time to make a call.

Quote Originally Posted by 1eyedog View Post
    I assume they'll bask in the glow of actually having a GF this season and probably rightfully so, and then worry about the nitty gritty over the next few weeks.
    Well thats the issue. In the next few weeks we have free agent period, trade period, DFA period, final list lodgements (involving delistings) and then the draft. It isn't like its January where nothing happens, its the most important time all year for list managers.
    I should leave it alone but you're not right

4. Thanks 1eyedog thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I feel a bit dirty saying this, but I kind of understand the AFL wanting to get the GF done and dusted unencumbered and then get serious with the news that a whole bunch of players are going to lose their contracts and not have a chance to get another one once the dust has settled.

With respect to contracts and salary cap, wouldn't any reduction in the future just be a linear reduction across all contracts? Meaning relativism kicks in and doesn't affect what one club versus another would pay for a player?
    Nobody's looking for a puppeteer in today's wintry economic climate.

6. Likes Dry Rot liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

To be fair to Hannah. Dicko is literally the best kick for goal ever. So it would be hard to live up to that.
    Quote Originally Posted by Twodogs View Post
    Hannah is a replacement for Dickson. Good overhead, kicks straight. Maybe not as straight as Dicko but straighter than most on our list.

Post Thanks / Like

Listen Mitch....we're keen on you joining us on one condition. You have to become the best shot at goal in the modern era to justify your recruitment. Are you in?
    Nobody's looking for a puppeteer in today's wintry economic climate.

9. Likes SquirrelGrip, CarnTheScray liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Assuming we land Hannan we are going to be chock full of left footed forwards
    Naughton, Bruce, Schache, Ugle-Hagan and Hannan plus a few mids that rest forward

I wonder if this is part of a plan?
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post
    Assuming we land Hannan we are going to be chock full of left footed forwards
    Naughton, Bruce, Schache, Ugle-Hagan and Hannan plus a few mids that rest forward

I wonder if this is part of a plan?
    That they all naturally lead to the same spot on the ground?
    More of an In Bruges guy?

12. Likes jeemak liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by azabob View Post
    One game this year we had 11 lefties in the team, so may as well add another one
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    One game this year we had 11 lefties in the team, so may as well add another one
    We've absolutely got a fair old swag of senior players

This is my take on the list

Bont, Macrae, Hunter, Crozier, Bruce, Keath, Naughton, Libba, Suckling, Duryea, Schache, Cavarra, Lynch, Buku? Garcia.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    Did we win that one or were we a shambles ?
    Bring back the biff

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bulldog Revolution View Post
    We've absolutely got a fair old swag of senior players

This is my take on the list

Bont, Macrae, Hunter, Crozier, Bruce, Keath, Naughton, Libba, Suckling, Duryea, Schache, Cavarra, Lynch, Buku? Garcia.
    And Ugle-Hagan on his way

17. Likes Bulldog Revolution liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by azabob View Post
    Didn’t see much leading this year.

Doesn’t fit into the “5 handball, long bomb over the shoulder, crash the pack” game plan.

Post Thanks / Like

What are the thoughts if we should retain Lin Jong? He played some good football this year but if lists are reduced can we keep a player who is missing so much football?

Post Thanks / Like

What are the thoughts if we should retain Lin Jong? He played some good football this year but if lists are reduced can we keep a player who is missing so much football?
    There are players I'd jettison before Lin. Well, a player. Not naming names.
    "It's over. It's all over."

Post Thanks / Like

I think he's borderline. His best football is good enough and he managed to look like he was best 22 when he was fit early in the season.
    However availability is a skill and we just can't seem to rely on him being fit for more than a few weeks.