Thanks Thanks:  213
Likes Likes:  888
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: List Management for 2020/21

I hope we take a chance on someone other than Hayes as a rookie

Post Thanks / Like

Rourke is a very good player , just needs to get a run without injury , I’m glad we kept him on, Cavarra and Hayes are good enough to be on a list, just not ours, we have too many of their type.
    Bring back the biff

3. Likes HOSE B ROMERO liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Personally, I think Roarke has much more to offer long term than Cavarra and Hayes - and also Lin Jong who got another contract, so I am happy to hear we are intending on re-drafting him.

5. Likes Sedat, jeemak, HOSE B ROMERO liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bulldogtragic View Post
    Updated with 2 Direct Rookie Rule:

Breaking down like this as an example, if Bevo wants to keep Roarke, with Hayes & Cavarra to RL (currently uncontracted)

37 Main List - 34 already contracted, JUH & MacPherson - so one more pick (Raak insurance??) OR one DFA (Jetta etc)
    5 Rookie List A - Sweet, Gardner, *Smith re-rookied as a live pick (re-sets his 3 years), Hayes & Cavarra direct
    2 Rookie List B - Khamis, *Raak

The maximum list number is reached.

Then it's:

In: JUH, MacPherson, Raak, *DFA or Live ND Pick, Treloar, Martin, Hannan, Hayes & Cavarra (RL)
    Out: Dickson (ret), JT, Suckling, Greene, Lynch, Porter, Gowers, Young, Hayes & Cavarra (ML)

As a rough guide.
    My 3am analysis seems to be the plan.

We can simply "elevate" Roarke to the Main List right now. We have committed to "re-drafting him". That language to me says we will take him with Pick 13 in the Rookie Draft. His three years re-sets.

The comments about Hayes and Cavarra about rookie listing might then be the two 'direct rookies'. Arguably where they should've always been.

So as above, this if it unfolds this way it gives us either a third 'live pick' in the National Draft, or, selecting a DFA.
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

7. Likes bornadog, bulldogsthru&thru, Smads57 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bulldogtragic View Post
    My 3am analysis seems to be the plan.

We can simply "elevate" Roarke to the Main List right now. We have committed to "re-drafting him". That language to me says we will take him with Pick 13 in the Rookie Draft. His three years re-sets.

The comments about Hayes and Cavarra about rookie listing might then be the two 'direct rookies'. Arguably where they should've always been.

So as above, this if it unfolds this way it gives us either a third 'live pick' in the National Draft, or, selecting a DFA.
    Maybe it wasn't the plan until your 3 a.m. analysis

9. Thanks bulldogtragic thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I know he cops a bit on here but if Roarke Smith ends up being the 42nd best player on our list, we will have a pretty good list.
    "Look at me mate. Look at me. I'm flyin'"

Post Thanks / Like

Now we probably have the requisite depth, reckon we can veer away from our penchant for honest triers with low ceilings in favour of some braver, shoot-for-the-stars selections with some x-factor and genuine impact?

If our last 3 picked is a ceaseless, meh-inducing merry go round of blokes who never stick before they're inevitably shown the door why not spend some spots on an enigma or two who might just turn into gold, or don't we trust our culture enough?

Otherwise, what's Honeychurch up to next year?
    BORDERLINE FLYING

12. Likes Dry Rot liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ledge View Post
    Rourke is a very good player , just needs to get a run without injury , I’m glad we kept him on, Cavarra and Hayes are good enough to be on a list, just not ours, we have too many of their type.
    Very good is a bit of a stretch. To me Hunter is very good, Libba is very good, Roarke is depth at best. I don't recall too many injuries the last couple of years, yet apart from a good performance here and there he remains unproven. I'm not particularly fussed either way with him but I would be shocked if he ever develops into a regular best 22 player after being on list so long.

I don't think we have a single other player like Cavara on the list, a small crumbing forward. The other small forwards are all a different type to Ben. Whether he is good enough to retain a list position is certainly debatable though.

14. Likes azabob liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Axe Man View Post
    Very good is a bit of a stretch. To me Hunter is very good, Libba is very good, Roarke is depth at best. I don't recall too many injuries the last couple of years, yet apart from a good performance here and there he remains unproven. I'm not particularly fussed either way with him but I would be shocked if he ever develops into a regular best 22 player after being on list so long.

I don't think we have a single other player like Cavara on the list, a small crumbing forward. The other small forwards are all a different type to Ben. Whether he is good enough to retain a list position is certainly debatable though.
    Roarke had real potential but with two ACLs he lost speed as well as his leap. In his early days he could get up as high as Wood and was seen as a ready made replacement. I agree he is depth at best.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Of the 3, Roarke is a fair way ahead of Hayes and Cavarra as a depth player who will perform solidly at senior level - I'm very happy for him to have a spot on our rookie list.

I hope we keep our powder dry with the other 2 spots potentially available, and give our recruiting team the chance to unearth a couple of diamonds in the rough in this unique 2020 season where there is bugger-all exposed form at the underage and lower levels.
    "Look at me mate. Look at me. I'm flyin'"

17. Likes Dry Rot liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Rocket Science View Post
    Now we probably have the requisite depth, reckon we can veer away from our penchant for honest triers with low ceilings in favour of some braver, shoot-for-the-stars selections with some x-factor and genuine impact?

If our last 3 picked is a ceaseless, meh-inducing merry go round of blokes who never stick before they're inevitably shown the door why not spend some spots on an enigma or two who might just turn into gold, or don't we trust our culture enough?

Otherwise, what's Honeychurch up to next year?
    Agree RS.

I'd like us to draft some genuine excitement - we have enough 'know what you get' types. Understand that's a very simplistic analysis, but our list could do with some raw talent.

I'd love us to draft a couple of Indigenous talents.
    W00F!

19. Likes Dry Rot liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Am I the only one really upset with Cavarra being delisted? He shows more promise than Smith and Hayes to me.
    "Its always good to win the Ashes test match'' - Libba, AFL Grand Final, 2016

21. Likes Dry Rot, Murphy'sLore liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The Bulldogs Bite View Post
    Agree RS.

I'd like us to draft some genuine excitement - we have enough 'know what you get' types. Understand that's a very simplistic analysis, but our list could do with some raw talent.

I'd love us to draft a couple of Indigenous talents.
    Agree especially when you look at the standard bearers at the moment in the Tigers. They've done so well from their rookie picks in Lambert, Soldo, Castagna, Short, Baker add to that the speculative pick of Marion Pickett in the mid season draft.
    There's some real gold in those left behind if you have the resources and know-how.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Vred View Post
    Am I the only one really upset with Cavarra being delisted? He shows more promise than Smith and Hayes to me.
    I think he will be rookied
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Vred View Post
    I'd prefer us to grab Sydney Stack than Cavarra if we had a choice.
    "I'll give him a hug before the first bounce and then I'll run into my pack and give them orders to rip him apart."

25. Likes EasternWest, strebla liked this post