Thanks Thanks:  213
Likes Likes:  888
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: List Management for 2020/21

Quote Originally Posted by Axe Man View Post
    Why?
    Available list spots for a start. MacPherson at his size would seem to have too many similar types in front of him and Raak seems to have little appeal to any club judging by things you hear from people who would know.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mitcha View Post
    Available list spots for a start. MacPherson at his size has too many similar types in front of him and Raak seems to have little appeal to any club judging by things you hear from people who would know.
    MacPherson projects as a small defender who actually defends - given we chased Duryea for that exact role I hope we take him over some fringe inside mid
    Western Bulldogs: 2016 Premiers

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by hujsh View Post
    Should Khamis be added to that list? He's a Cat B rookie right?
    I didn’t add Khamis as you can’t just re-draft someone to Cat B.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mitcha View Post
    Available list spots for a start. MacPherson at his size would seem to have too many similar types in front of him and Raak seems to have little appeal to any club judging by things you hear from people who would know.
    Raak is a free hit in a list spot nobody else can fill, simply comes down to whether we rate him or not and $$$.

There are 4 list spots (ignoring the potential category B spot) left - 2 go to JUH and Roarke, 2 remain. MacPherson should be in the mix for 1 of those, just depends on who else is available late in the draft I am guessing.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by comrade View Post
    Any chance we're keeping Cavarra & Hayes under some sort of "good bloke, hard trainer" policy?
    Maybe the fact that 2020 was a shite year for those on the cusp with no VFL games and 2 players in Hayes and Cavarra now get another shot.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bulldog4life View Post
    Maybe the fact that 2020 was a shite year for those on the cusp with no VFL games and 2 players in Hayes and Cavarra now get another shot.
    Yeah I reckon you’re right. Some good bloke points + 2020 leniency thrown in.
    Our 1954 premiership players are our heroes, and it has to be said that Charlie was their hero.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bulldog4life View Post
    I personally feel Cavarra has been unlucky with two seasons of injuries and no VFL this year. I don't mind him on the rookie list, he can play a role where we don't have too many contenders for at the moment.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

8. Likes josie liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I'm with jeemak. It's a pretty uninspiring decision when we all know that neither of the two will (should?) be on the list in 2 years time. Why do we keep prolonging the inevitable with players who aren't up to the elite level?

Our rookie listing in recent times has been diabolical.
    W00F!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The Bulldogs Bite View Post
    I'm with jeemak. It's a pretty uninspiring decision when we all know that neither of the two will (should?) be on the list in 2 years time. Why do we keep prolonging the inevitable with players who aren't up to the elite level?

Our rookie listing in recent times has been diabolical.
    Why am I being brought into this? I think I was saying the opposite the other day anyway!
    Nobody's looking for a puppeteer in today's wintry economic climate.

11. Thanks The Bulldogs Bite thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I feel like the beige armchair I finally got around to putting out with a 'free to good home' sign has reappeared in the lounge room again.
    BORDERLINE FLYING

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jeemak View Post
    Why am I being brought into this? I think I was saying the opposite the other day anyway!
    Got you mixed up with soup!
    W00F!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The Bulldogs Bite View Post
    Got you mixed up with soup!
    I would say, depending on who you asked, the difference between soup being mildly annoyed by such a slight, versus being completely annoyed by such a slight is pretty small.

May God have mercy on your soul.
    Nobody's looking for a puppeteer in today's wintry economic climate.

15. Likes azabob liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jeemak View Post
    I would say, depending on who you asked, the difference between soup being mildly annoyed by such a slight, versus being completely annoyed by such a slight is pretty small.

May God have mercy on your soul.
    Oh I am livid.
    I should leave it alone but you're not right

17. Likes jeemak liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

https://www.theage.com.au/sport/afl/...01-p56jpd.html

WESTERN BULLDOGS

PICKS: 29, 33, 41, 42, 52, 54, 90.

KEY DEFENDERS: Alex Keath, Zaine Cordy, Ryan Gardner, Lewis Young, Buku Khamis.

SMALL/MEDIUM DEFENDERS: Caleb Daniel, Jason Johannisen, Easton Wood, Hayden Crozier, Bailey Williams, Ed Richards, Taylor Duryea, Louis Butler.

MIDFIELDERS: Marcus Bontempelli, Adam Treloar, Jack Macrae, Lachie Hunter, Tom Liberatore, Bailey Smith, Josh Dunkley, Patrick Lipinski, Laitham Vandermeer, Lin Jong, Rhylee West, Will Hayes, Riley Garcia. plus Roarke Smith

KEY FORWARDS: Aaron Naughton, Josh Bruce, Josh Schache. plus Jamarra Ugle-Hagen

SMALL/MEDIUM FORWARDS: Mitch Wallis, Sam Lloyd, Toby McLean, Mitch Hannan, Bailey Dale, Cody Weightman, Ben Cavarra.
    RUCKS: Tim English, Stefan Martin, Jordon Sweet.

The Bulldogs got in just in time. History may well view their looming acquisition of athletic Indigenous tall forward Jamarra Ugle-Hagan as one of the great draft steals. Had he been in next year's draft pool, not this year's, the Dogs would not have been able to pick him up as next generation academy players cannot be matched inside the top 20 in 2021, extending to the top 40 the following season. But that should be of little concern for the Bulldogs, unless any of his four younger brothers turn out to be in the same ballpark as a player widely likened to Sydney superstar Lance Franklin. The question now is when the Dogs will have to match a bid for Ugle-Hagan, which will come no later than Sydney's pick No.3. It won't matter too much in the grand scheme of things, as a trade with the Giants meant the Dogs have enough points even to match a bid at pick No.1. There are few clear gaps on the Bulldogs' list but they might be able to gather another key defender in the form of Cody Raak, the lesser-known prospect from the Dogs' next generation academy who would likely come cheap and late.

From Axeman's player contract thread we have leading into the draft;

Contracted Players = 39 (34 Primary List, 4 Category A Rookies, 1 Category B Rookie)

The 2 certainties are we will add Jamarra to the main list & Rourke Smith most likely to the rookie list. This would then update the contracted list to 41 (35 Primary List, 5 Category A Rookies, 1 Category B Rookie)

We are required to have minimum 36 on the Primary list so we can expect to draft at least 1 more player. Thats unless we draft Smith to the primary list. Whichever way we go it will leave 2 spots on the list vacant overall and would be optional for us to fill.

Looking at the Age's breakdown of our list the glaring shortages are ruck and small forward. I hope we do something about it.

The other matter is what will we do about Super's son Ewan & Cody Raak. I get the feeling they might have to go back to the u/18's for another year as over age players.
    Listening to Brahm's 3rd Racket

Post Thanks / Like

I just can't see us drafting either McPherson or Raak.
    It will obviously be JUH and then more likely I suspect it could a player who has slid down the order