Thanks Thanks:  213
Likes Likes:  888

Threaded View

Post Thanks / Like

List Management for 2020/21

There is still some speculation that clubs will need to get down to 38 players for the 2021 season
    This will mean that we will have to trim the list to 34 players to allow for the minimum 3 players you need to bring in via the draft and say one free agent signing. For every extra player you want to bring in another one has to either be traded or delisted

Likely departures
    Matthew Suckling - Has expressed some interest to trying out for punters role in American Football and there is no question he is a sensational kick. On form he could be kept for another season but I'll park him as a likely departure for the time being

Jackson Trengove - Out of contract and out of favor with the MC isn't a good combination to get another season. His non selection this year doesn't sit well with me.

Buku Khamis - Promising young defender and the only reason he lands here is because of the reduced list size
    I'd do what I could to get him to Footscray

Ben Cavarra - 3 games in two years might not be enough to maintain Cav on the list. I'd like to keep him but if the reduced list size happens he would be a consideration to be de-listed

Billy Gowers - I suspect there will be a tear in the eye of Bevo if it's up to him to deliver the news to Billy. 39 goals form 33 games highlights he has some claims to be maintained but just 3 games in 2020 won't help his cause.

Callum Porter - A late pick in the 2017 draft and has had 3 years on the playing list for just one senior game. From all accounts a great club man but I just can't find the point of difference with him to keep him on the list

Tory Dickson - A wonderful player for the Dogs since he arrived at the club after being drafted in 2011. Injuries have caught up with him and you have to think 2020 is his last year with us

Brad Lynch - An interesting journey since he arrived at the club as a skinny rookie in the 2015 draft. In his 5 years he has filled out nicely but he hasn't been able to crack it for a senior game for 2 years now.

Roarke Smith - A fan and MC favourite who has had more than his share of injuries. Drafted as a rookie in 2014 Smith has worked very hard for 19 senior games and the reduced list size comes at the wrong time for Smith

That's 9 players as likely departures and gets the list size down to 36

Under the microscope

Fergus Greene - A super promising player but constant injuries and a list jam packed with mid sized forwards might be problematic for Greene. Should be given another year and must make the most of any chances he gets for the balance of the season

Will Hayes - Promising year in 2019 but 2020 hasn't been as kind. I think he should be maintained but unless he performs well for the balance of the season it could be a line ball decision at the end of the season

Lachie Young - I suspect Lachie Young will be on our senior list in 2021 but as far as I know he hasn't been resigned yet so he will have a nervous wait. I wonder where we see his future with us because after a good year as a defender in 2019 he's been tried in some other positions this year.

Lin Jong - A real favourite for the Dogs supporters Jong has delighted and frustrated many over the years.
    64 senior games since being drafted as a rookie in 2011. His 3 games this year were pretty good but another lengthy injury might be considered when we stare into the more difficult list management decisions.

Dropping 2 players for this list gets us down to 34 players

Less likely to be dropped but...

Taylor Duryea
    and Ryan Gardner

Both of them are coming out of contract but I think are very much in the MC plans for 2021

Lets assume they both stay

Could we do the unthinkable?

Easton Wood - He's had a decent year in 2020 and as Jeemak can confirm I've made my thoughts about Wood's lack of form for a few years now. I know he hoisted the premiership cup for us but if we are about to embark on a rebuild by stealth is there still room for the popular Easton Wood? The most likely scenario is 12 month contracts for Wood but we are just as likely to lock him in for 2 years.

Trade currency speculation

Lewis Young - Has struggled to establish himself as a senior player since debuting in 2017. I would imagine the Crows might look towards bringing Young back home to SA and with another year to go on his contract perhaps a trade would be considered.

Josh Schache - An immensely talented but laconic player, Schache seems to have fallen out of favor with the MC this year especially given the arrival of Josh Bruce. I think he has some trade currency and we might just look to move him out of the kennel if a decent offer is presented

With the Dogs looking for draft points perhaps we would be in interested in a decent offers

I'll try and frequently update this
    Last edited by GVGjr; 30-08-2020 at 11:54 AM. Reason: Updated
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

2. Likes Smads57 liked this post