Thanks Thanks:  213
Likes Likes:  888
Page 38 of 122 FirstFirst ... 28293031323334353637383940414243444546474888 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: List Management for 2020/21

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    big no
    Libba has done 2, would you say no to him?

From what I gather he did the first before he was drafted in 2015, then again in 2016 and 2017. So on the plus side he's gone 3 years without doing an ACL! I would leave that one with the medicos to decide. On paper he does sound attractive though (apart from his knees) and seems surplus to Brisbane's needs.

2. Likes Mofra liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

The list of out of contract players is relatively uninspiring, with more signing contracts by the day.
    There remains a tiny chance one of Freo's KPDs could be pried loose - Cox (just re-signed), Pearce (untouchable, potential future captain), Hamling and Logue.

The market for rucks is tight too with Hawthorn, Sydney & GWS all hunting for one.
    Western Bulldogs: 2016 Premiers

Post Thanks / Like

Skinner is the right size but I get the feeling we're kind of overlooking his ability. He looked awful in his two games at the level this year.
    - I'm a visionary - Only here to confirm my biases -

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by comrade View Post
    Heard he does a mean cover of Vance Joy's Riptide.
    Ah, I heard a really good live version of that somewhere about four years ago...now where was that....

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mofra View Post
    The list of out of contract players is relatively uninspiring, with more signing contracts by the day.
    There remains a tiny chance one of Freo's KPDs could be pried loose - Cox (just re-signed), Pearce (untouchable, potential future captain), Hamling and Logue.

The market for rucks is tight too with Hawthorn, Sydney & GWS all hunting for one.
    This all day long.

Yeah we've got a couple of structural holes to plug but there ain't no saviour out there lurking in the weeds of other club's discards and 'wantaways' ... Jeez I loathe that word.

We already own most of the tools for improvement. We just need to do the work and I really hope the bulk of our off-season energies focus as much on how we can be better with what we have as who we might coax aboard for the ride.
    BORDERLINE FLYING

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Rocket Science View Post
    This all day long.

Yeah we've got a couple of structural holes to plug but there ain't no saviour out there lurking in the weeds of other club's discards and 'wantaways' ... Jeez I loathe that word.

We already own most of the tools for improvement. We just need to do the work and I really hope the bulk of our off-season energies focus as much on how we can be better with what we have as who we might coax aboard for the ride.
    I think what you're implying is the game style we employ isn't making the most of our players and makes them look worse than what they are. If so, I agree.

Coaching group needs as big of an off season as the players.
    Our 1954 premiership players are our heroes, and it has to be said that Charlie was their hero.

8. Likes Rocket Science, SonofScray liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Just continuing on a theme in another thread: I don't remember, but were Butler and Dougal Howard ever discussed last year as being worthy candidates? I certainly would have been underwhelmed at the suggestion of getting them this time last year.

Post Thanks / Like

Butler was a dart throw but I think there was a consensus that Dougal was a good in.
    - I'm a visionary - Only here to confirm my biases -

Post Thanks / Like

I think we should hold off on popping the champagne on Saints' strategy just yet.
    I am not sure they haven't pushed their bigger problems down the road in order to try find some short terms solutions to give them a modest ladder boost.

They've not had any decent slurps at the draft trough since Max King. They traded out of first and second rounds last year. They don't have any first round picks this year either.
    I see their list as lacking in genuine elite talent outside of Marshall, and potentially Clark, Coffield and Max King if their trajectory continues as expected
    I think their additions have given them a lift, sure but beside improvement in King, Clark and Coffield where is the young talent that is going to lift them further than where they are?

I think in in 3 years time as Hill hits the 30's...his output won't be as pivotal, and the two years of no early draft picks, might start to bite them.

12. Likes bornadog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Yankee Hotel Foxtrot View Post
    I think we should hold off on popping the champagne on Saints' strategy just yet.
    I am not sure they haven't pushed their bigger problems down the road in order to try find some short terms solutions to give them a modest ladder boost.

They've not had any decent slurps at the draft trough since Max King. They traded out of first and second rounds last year. They don't have any first round picks this year either.
    I see their list as lacking in genuine elite talent outside of Marshall, and potentially Clark, Coffield and Max King if their trajectory continues as expected
    I think their additions have given them a lift, sure but beside improvement in King, Clark and Coffield where is the young talent that is going to lift them further than where they are?

I think in in 3 years time as Hill hits the 30's...his output won't be as pivotal, and the two years of no early draft picks, might start to bite them.
    In 3 years, Ryder and Hannebery will be gone as well.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

I think the King/Marshall tandem is almost a game changer in itself. Two of the most challenging positions to fill, and they have a 24 and 20 year old filling them.

Clark and Coffield definitely look the goods, and I would be surprised if they don't push into the midfield over the coming years. Gresham had a really strong 2018/2019, but I'm not sure of how big his upside is - still only 23. They would be banking on Steele being the central cog of their midfield for years to come, and they have big wraps on Bytel and Battle. Billings not being a dominant elite player is costing them, nor did McCartin's concussions.

Howard and Butler have both been strong inclusions and are only 24yo. I was keen on Howard, and the saints orchestrated a great trade for him. They will definitely have to replace Ryder's role in coming years, but I think they still have plenty to work with.

15. Likes bulldogsthru&thru liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Not to mention their story's bolstered by a gifted finals win that almost slipped through their fingers at the death knell.

Sure they're improved relative to a year ago but suspect the Tigers are about to provide some fresh perspective as to just how improved.
    BORDERLINE FLYING

Post Thanks / Like

It's less about how well Saints have done, and more about players they brought in that would actually plug a lot of the gaps we have. And it was done on the absolute cheap.
    Our 1954 premiership players are our heroes, and it has to be said that Charlie was their hero.

18. Likes Happy Days liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by comrade View Post
    It's less about how well Saints have done, and more about players they brought in that would actually plug a lot of the gaps we have. And it was done on the absolute cheap.
    I don't disagree that given the shortcomings we have, in ruck, 1x1 lock down defender, and small forward.. they totally gazumped us...
    Their trade approach would've been a much better fit for us than them long term. Ryder, Howard and Butler would've fit nicely.

Post Thanks / Like

I don't disagree that given the shortcomings we have, in ruck, 1x1 lock down defender, and small forward.. they totally gazumped us...
    Their trade approach would've been a much better fit for us than them long term. Ryder, Howard and Butler would've fit nicely.
    Yep, we're literally desperate for all 3 roles to be filled. It's not easy winning flags and you've got to nail opportunities when they present themselves.