Thanks Thanks:  213
Likes Likes:  888
Page 43 of 122 FirstFirst ... 33343536373839404142434445464748495051525393 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: List Management for 2020/21

Quote Originally Posted by jazzadogs View Post
    There's a big garbage rumour floating around which is based ENTIRELY on Jack Higgins' girlfriend posting a video to Instagram that the bulldogs players were partying too loudly in Bailey Smith's room the night after our last game. There is a lot of garbage attached to it (highlight being that Caleb Daniel was dressed up like evil knievel and got thrown off the balcony into the pool, I mean CMON!!) but it ends with a statement that Bailey Smith and Lachie Hunter have been told to pack their bags.

Truly laughable. I have no doubt that there was a loud party, it was probably in Baz's room and I'm sure that some/many players took drugs. But we're not getting rid of two of our top 5 players because of it.
    Things getting loud sounds plausible but lets face it rumours are just that especially this time of the year
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post
    Things getting loud sounds plausible but lets face it rumours are just that especially this time of the year
    We also need to remember that this was "their" mad Monday and likely wouldn't see each other again until 2021.
    More of an In Bruges guy?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by azabob View Post
    I got Hunter wrong.

At the time I questioned the length of deal and wondered how much he'd be on a year.

I said earlier in this thread Hunter is our second most important midfielder and likely in our top 5 most important players.
    I recall you mentioning that, it's a big call but it might very well be correct
    For Hunter to play like he did in what was a tremendously challenging season for him shows just how resilient and talented he is

Post Thanks / Like

I think our list is in a bit worse shape than I initially thought.

A lot of the below has been said before, but as the finals continue on, I am realising more and more how far away we are.

I say this because I went to contribute to the Round 1 team for 2021 thread and had a lot of gaps in my team and I noticed a few things.

1) Some posters are putting Lewis Young as a key back
    2) Some posters are putting Josh Schache as a key forward
    3) Some posters put both in

Now, I know we are an optimistic bunch here (most times) but I don't see how either of these players suddenly become best 22.

Our holes are key defender, key forward, second ruck support, small pressure forward. The midfield is ok and maybe could do with a couple more dashes of prick in our set up. Like the players which get called out for faux tough man such as Hanaberry and Z.Jones are two that come to mind (not these players specifically but players who have their attitude).

Forward of the Ball

If by some fluke Josh Bruce can actually contribute as our second key forward that position isn't too much of an issue. He is proven we just need him to be motivated. Longer term fingers crossed Ugle-Hagan can run shotgun with Naughton.
    Garcia is getting wraps on here and by the club with the way he attacked his rehab, as GVGjr and others alluded to could he be the small pressure forward?

I would also pull the trigger and play Daniel on the wing / high half forward role to help with the delivery and decision making delivery into our forward 50.

Behind the Ball

Alex Keith was a success but did we recruit him as an intercept defender or a lockdown defender? I'd like to see him as an intercept defender - so we need an upgrade on Gardner / Cordy. Our defense looked a whole heap better against the saints when Cordy went off.

If we cannot secure a ready made key defender over the off season we need to have either Lewis Young take significant steps forward or prepare for Tim English to spend a lot of time dropping into the back 50 to help out -which frankly this option sucks.

On ball

We really need more than one option other than English in the center square and stoppages around the ground. Our midfield has the talent, we maybe need a touch more defensive running - but gee I'd love to see us back their ability to be proactive. On the flip side if we become too proactive at centre bounces / stoppages, we could get burnt a lot the other way if we don't win the ball.

I actually keep flip flopping on what we need - which is not great. I don't have the answers on how we will fix the above problems, but it appears we will be 8th to 10th for a couple of more years yet.

I certainly hope Beveridge, Power and Co understand our list and understand the holes in it. Without knowing this first, it is almost impossible to climb up the ladder and become a regular top four team.

5. Thanks GVGjr thanked for this post
    Likes bornadog, Sedat liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Could someone like Ratagolea be someone to look at. Haven't seen a lot of him but certainly looks capable of clunking them when forward and has spent some time rucking. Multi positional type who may be able to alternate with English. And another not currently playing at the pointy end of the season.

Post Thanks / Like

There's a big garbage rumour floating around which is based ENTIRELY on Jack Higgins' girlfriend posting a video to Instagram that the bulldogs players were partying too loudly in Bailey Smith's room the night after our last game. There is a lot of garbage attached to it (highlight being that Caleb Daniel was dressed up like evil knievel and got thrown off the balcony into the pool, I mean CMON!!) but it ends with a statement that Bailey Smith and Lachie Hunter have been told to pack their bags.

Truly laughable. I have no doubt that there was a loud party, it was probably in Baz's room and I'm sure that some/many players took drugs. But we're not getting rid of two of our top 5 players because of it.
    The real question is why did Higgins' girlfriend snitch. I assume she's like 21, how much of a loser do you have to be to make a noise complaint at that age.
    - I'm a visionary - Only here to confirm my biases -

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mitcha View Post
    Could someone like Ratagolea be someone to look at. Haven't seen a lot of him but certainly looks capable of clunking them when forward and has spent some time rucking. Multi positional type who may be able to alternate with English. And another not currently playing at the pointy end of the season.
    I know the Doctor was big on getting him to the kennel when he was drafted and he would be a good fit for us

Post Thanks / Like

I like the idea of Esava. Physical, can play multiple positions. He isn’t a world beater but would definitely help us structurally.
    Our 1954 premiership players are our heroes, and it has to be said that Charlie was their hero.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mitcha View Post
    I think it is a good suggestion, maybe worth looking at.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

I think our list is in a bit worse shape than I initially thought.

1) Some posters are putting Lewis Young as a key back
    2) Some posters are putting Josh Schache as a key forward
    3) Some posters put both in
    Now, I know we are an optimistic bunch here (most times) but I don't see how either of these players suddenly become best 22.

If by some fluke Josh Bruce can actually contribute as our second key forward that position isn't too much of an issue. He is proven we just need him to be motivated.
    I enjoyed your analysis.
    But how does “if Bruce can contribute “ make him an asset?
    He contributed nothing this year. One good game and a couple of “reasonable”.
    Personally I think his rampage during the recent final cost us the game.

I don’t think Schache and Young will ever become best 22. They already are.
    We can’t get much from their games this season but they showed a bit in 2019.

In the game against Hawthorn Schache with 15 possessions, 4 goals and some give aways was a highlight. With Gowers 3 goals they gave an exciting win. Against Port his 3 goals in terrible conditions propelled us towards the finals. But the team was going well people say. Well he was top goal scorer with 3 against Collingwood when we lost. If you look at our 5 highest scoring games last year Schache was in 4 times. I don’t understand why he is denigrated and Bruce is treated as our saviour. Whenever we needed a little from Bruce we got nothing. But hope will make him a selection certainty.

12. Likes azabob liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Danjul View Post
    I enjoyed your analysis.
    But how does “if Bruce can contribute “ make him an asset?
    He contributed nothing this year. One good game and a couple of “reasonable”.
    Personally I think his rampage during the recent final cost us the game.

I don’t think Schache and Young will ever become best 22. They already are.
    We can’t get much from their games this season but they showed a bit in 2019.

In the game against Hawthorn Schache with 15 possessions, 4 goals and some give aways was a highlight. With Gowers 3 goals they gave an exciting win. Against Port his 3 goals in terrible conditions propelled us towards the finals. But the team was going well people say. Well he was top goal scorer with 3 against Collingwood when we lost. If you look at our 5 highest scoring games last year Schache was in 4 times. I don’t understand why he is denigrated and Bruce is treated as our saviour. Whenever we needed a little from Bruce we got nothing. But hope will make him a selection certainty.
    My Bruce comment was very much tongue in cheek. You are correct he is not an asset at all.

Schache has a lot of natural talent and maybe he is judged more harshly than Bruce because of this talent. As the old saying goes you can have all the talent in the world, but if you don't bring the effort you won't succeed.

Hopefully all three of Naughton, Bruce and Schache demand a starting position in our forward 50 in 2021 - it certainly would make our on field endeavors a lot easier.

Post Thanks / Like

My Bruce comment was very much tongue in cheek. You are correct he is not an asset at all.

Schache has a lot of natural talent and maybe he is judged more harshly than Bruce because of this talent. As the old saying goes you can have all the talent in the world, but if you don't bring the effort you won't succeed.

Hopefully all three of Naughton, Bruce and Schache demand a starting position in our forward 50 in 2021 - it certainly would make our on field endeavors a lot easier.
    True

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Happy Days View Post
    The real question is why did Higgins' girlfriend snitch. I assume she's like 21, how much of a loser do you have to be to make a noise complaint at that age.
    Even included Bailey and alcohol and he has never touched it in his life.
    Higgins and Bailey are very close so it’s just Rubbish.
    Bring back the biff

Post Thanks / Like

Of course they are packing their bags. They are leaving the hub.... its not like they will just leave their stuff there....

17. Likes Twodogs liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Happy Days View Post
    The Instagram video of her commentary about it has been posted to the Scandal/rumour thread on BF. It is certainly something. Woe is me, excuse for content kind of stuff.

It got me thinking, if the Smurf village was adjusted to reflect society how many Vanity Smurfs would they now need?

19. Likes EasternWest, Grantysghost liked this post