Thanks Thanks:  213
Likes Likes:  888
Page 48 of 122 FirstFirst ... 38394041424344454647484950515253545556575898 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: List Management for 2020/21

Quote Originally Posted by bulldogsthru&thru View Post
    We also beat every team in the comp except Geelong who we only played once down at the cattery. Lost Libba that game after losing Wally and Redpath the week prior. Nearly pinched it in any case.
    And Jack Macrae

2. Likes bulldogsthru&thru liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mitcha View Post
    And Jack Macrae
    That’s right. I knew there was someone else.

Post Thanks / Like

Gotta say we played some amazing football in 2016. I went to both rounds 1 and 2 and that was some of the best football I’ve seen this club play. The following week against the hawks we still played great but left the door open a bit. Losing Murph hurt and it started the injury run but we still demolished carlton and Brisbane the next two weeks.

Post Thanks / Like

Time to get back on topic

Matthew Suckling - Do we sign him up again for another season?
    Jackson Trengove - The indications are that Trengove won't be at the Dogs in 2021
    Buku Khamis - Do we stock with Khamis for another year or two?
    Ben Cavarra - Has he shown enough in 2 seasons to get another season
    Billy Gowers - Has ability but just doesn't seem to fit our forward set-up now
    Callum Porter - Young but hasn't quite shown enough
    Tory Dickson - Retired, thanks for the outstanding service Dicko
    Brad Lynch - Would we give him another season?
    Roarke Smith - Has shown enough to get another season
    Fergus Greene - Plenty of ability but he can't crack it for a spot. Do we invest another 12 months in him?
    Will Hayes - In racing terms, lightly raced. Do we give him another 12 months?
    Lachie Young - Surely he gets another 1 or 2 year deal.
    Lin Jong - A real warrior but do we stick with him given his injury troubles?
    Taylor Duryea - Do we have too many defenders?

I'd be interested in your thoughts on who survives and he is leaving?

Do we shop around Lewis Young, Josh Schache, Bailey Dale and Ed Richards to see if there is much interest?
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bulldogsthru&thru View Post
    We also beat every team in the comp except Geelong who we only played once down at the cattery. Lost Libba that game after losing Wally and Redpath the week prior. Nearly pinched it in any case.
    Libba was schooling Selwood prior to injuring his ankle, too. I remember feeling short changed after that game.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post

Jackson Trengove - The indications are that Trengove won't be at the Dogs in 2021
    Fergus Greene - Plenty of ability but he can't crack it for a spot. Do we invest another 12 months in him?

Do we shop around Lewis Young, Josh Schache, Bailey Dale and Ed Richards to see if there is much interest?
    Out of that list I think we have seen the last of...

Suckling
    Trengove
    Porter
    Lynch
    Hayes

Khamis/cavarra 50/50

Greene/Jong/Duryea are All kept on for short contracts

I think Gowers/smith/lach Young will be retained for obvious Bevo reasons (he loves 2 of them)

Dale/Richards I’d keep as they have shown when playing at their best, they are best 22. It’s all about consistency and a desire to be hungry for longer periods.i still have a bit of faith in both to be retained.

I think Lew Young is on his way to Crows and Schache on his way to North.
    I will never see #16 the same!!

8. Thanks GVGjr thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post

Firstly I think we should shop around the players you mentioned and also add Cordy, Lipinski.

Reality is we should be listening to offers for 80% of our list.

Having had a few weeks since we were eliminated I think we need to

KEEP: Wood, Duryea, Jong, Sweet, Gardner,

DELIST: : Gowers, Greene, Trengove, Lynch, Cavarra, Hayes, Porter, Suckling, Lachie Young, Khamis, Dickson and Roarke Smith. I'd still payout and delist Sam Lloyd

Of my delisted players some would play senior footy in 2021, but I'm not sure that is a reason we should keep them on our list. We know what they all offer and what their short comings are.

I doubt the club will cut that deep and likely keep Roarke Smith, Lachie Young and one of Cavarra / Greene. I think Suckling is also 70/30 chance at being kept on the list.
    More of an In Bruges guy?

10. Likes soupman, jeemak liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by azabob View Post
    DELIST: : Gowers, Greene, Trengove, Lynch, Cavarra, Hayes, Porter, Suckling, Lachie Young, Khamis, Dickson and Roarke Smith. I'd still payout and delist Sam Lloyd
    13 players? Who would we replace them all with? I get list sizes are going to be reduced and we have 3 kids to bring in, but what about the other spots?

Lachie Young is a kid who has shown a fair bit as an intercepting defender, I really don't get the call to delist him. Roarke Smith gets another year given his late season form as a role player. I suspect Hayes stays as well although if we were to pick up a genuine wingman at the trade table (e.g. Phillips) he'd be in trouble.

I'm not sure that picking up 4-5 late speculative picks this draft is the best year for it.
    Western Bulldogs: 2016 Premiers

12. Likes Testekill liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mofra View Post
    13 players? Who would we replace them all with? I get list sizes are going to be reduced and we have 3 kids to bring in, but what about the other spots?

Lachie Young is a kid who has shown a fair bit as an intercepting defender, I really don't get the call to delist him. Roarke Smith gets another year given his late season form as a role player. I suspect Hayes stays as well although if we were to pick up a genuine wingman at the trade table (e.g. Phillips) he'd be in trouble.

I'm not sure that picking up 4-5 late speculative picks this draft is the best year for it.
    I agree with this but it highlights our continual inability to cut deeper into the list. We routinely hang onto players who we either don't play or who simply aren't up to the level, and it's coming back to bite now because you really couldn't argue with those 13 names listed but we just can't afford to cut THAT deep given the current circumstances. If we had of properly managed the list in the years previous, we wouldn't be in such position.

Just on La Young, he definitely stays but I don't see the appeal. Not overly strong or impressively athletic, not quick, skills are average and drastically overrated by some on here, far behind in the pecking order for HBF. I'm really not sure what he brings to the table beyond endurance. He strikes me as a lesser version of Roarke.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The Bulldogs Bite View Post
    Just on La Young, he definitely stays but I don't see the appeal. Not overly strong or impressively athletic, not quick, skills are average and drastically overrated by some on here, far behind in the pecking order for HBF. I'm really not sure what he brings to the table beyond endurance. He strikes me as a lesser version of Roarke.
    Excellent overhead and judged the ball well in flight, takes riskier options in his kicks and keeps them low.
    He's 4 inches taller than Roarke so not really the same player. Like Ed Richards he's a much, much better player behind the ball.
    Western Bulldogs: 2016 Premiers

Post Thanks / Like

Excellent overhead and judged the ball well in flight, takes riskier options in his kicks and keeps them low.
    He's 4 inches taller than Roarke so not really the same player. Like Ed Richards he's a much, much better player behind the ball.
    Agree he's better behind the ball but he's miles away from being a worthy HBF. It's a position that requires you to have a special skill if you're going to last - athleticism (Wood circa 15-16, Crozier), pace (JJ), vision/skill (Daniel), combativeness (M Boyd) and he just doesn't really exude any of this. He might judge the ball in flight OK but he's not marking many balls at his size and I'd argue he kicks more balls along the ground than he does hitting a teammates chest. Lacks penetration too.

I hope he develops quickly but I don't see it.

Post Thanks / Like

Just on Lachie Young, I suspect he is now being groomed for a permanent role on the wing given his aerobic capacity
    Could he model his game on Dursma?
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

Post Thanks / Like

Does Stefan Martin have two years in him and would we use him? Hasn't been offered a deal with Brisbane as yet.

https://www.theage.com.au/sport/afl/...18-p5668b.html
    Nobody's looking for a puppeteer in today's wintry economic climate.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jeemak View Post
    Does Stefan Martin have two years in him and would we use him? Hasn't been offered a deal with Brisbane as yet.

https://www.theage.com.au/sport/afl/...18-p5668b.html
    I think he is cooked, although I thought the same about Ryder and here we are.
    I should leave it alone but you're not right

Post Thanks / Like

Martin was worked over big time by Stanley/Blicavs. Doesn't seem to be covering the ground as well anymore, and he's never really been a threat up forward so unlikely to combine well with English swapping ruck/forward time.

It's a pass from me.
    Our 1954 premiership players are our heroes, and it has to be said that Charlie was their hero.