Thanks Thanks:  213
Likes Likes:  888
Page 49 of 122 FirstFirst ... 39404142434445464748495051525354555657585999 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: List Management for 2020/21

Also think Martin is done and is 34 next month. I reckon Brisbane would just keep him if they think he could go around again.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jeemak View Post
    Does Stefan Martin have two years in him and would we use him? Hasn't been offered a deal with Brisbane as yet.

https://www.theage.com.au/sport/afl/...18-p5668b.html
    He has at least one more year in him. If he is fit enough I'd be interested
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post
    Just on Lachie Young, I suspect he is now being groomed for a permanent role on the wing given his aerobic capacity
    Could he model his game on Dursma?
    He'd require a lot of VFL time for that to occur. I think he is a potential replacement for Wood/Crozier given his ability to intercept mark and judge the flight of the ball in the air.
    Western Bulldogs: 2016 Premiers

Post Thanks / Like

No to Martin. His big strength was his ability to cover ground and get involved in possession chains and his body is too cooked to let him do it anymore. Plus I think he's lost a bit of physicality and isn't a big improvement on Tim in actual ruck contests.
    - I'm a visionary - Only here to confirm my biases -

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Happy Days View Post
    No to Martin. His big strength was his ability to cover ground and get involved in possession chains and his body is too cooked to let him do it anymore. Plus I think he's lost a bit of physicality and isn't a big improvement on Tim in actual ruck contests.
    And what would be the point in him playing when we have Goldstein? He’ll have to be willing to toil away in the VFL

6. Thanks Happy Days, SquirrelGrip thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Noting the names put up in this thread for possible delisting, what happened to Brad Lynch's development, and why did he fall out of favour? After some promising signs, is he now that far off the mark? Unlike most of the names put up, he's one that doesn't sit as comfortably given what he's shown glimpses of.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bulldogsthru&thru View Post
    And what would be the point in him playing when we have Goldstein? He’ll have to be willing to toil away in the VFL
    I did half-heartedly advocate for a ~super team~ of 22 ruckmen so was just clearing up any confusion.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Happy Days View Post
    I did half-heartedly advocate for a ~super team~ of 22 ruckmen so was just clearing up any confusion.
    You don't want to read the rumours in 'Trade Dunkley' thread then. Your wishes could be shattered by Dodo.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Doc26 View Post
    Noting the names put up in this thread for possible delisting, what happened to Brad Lynch's development, and why did he fall out of favour? After some promising signs, is he now that far off the mark? Unlike most of the names put up, he's one that doesn't sit as comfortably given what he's shown glimpses of.
    Lynch was given the license with no expectations in 2018, and as fun as it was at times only his game against Richmond was really any good. He was conversely full on awful last year, and apparently must have been much the same this year given that he wasn't considered at any point despite a clean bill of health. I think it might just be that he's not any good.

I'm more confused by us giving up on Fergus, who looked similarly impressive in 2018, had his season last year ruined with injury, and seemed to kick a ton of goals in the scratch matches yet was continually overlooked.

11. Likes Testekill liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

It'd be much easier for us WOOF posters to make a decision on these guys future if we heard literally anything about either how they were playing in the scratch matches this year or what areas they needed to improve on. Alas we just have to go off what we can see, which is stuff all.

There is no way we can retain Lynch or Greene. They are both players that have been on the list for 4+ years with about a month of senior football each, and even then they were potentially picked on the basis of "there is no one else to pick". If we haven't deemed them worthy of selection for that long a time period with no sign of improvement behind the scenes then there is absolutely no way we can retain them, even if they do play in a position of need and seemingly have attributes that could be handy.
    I should leave it alone but you're not right

13. Likes The Bulldogs Bite, Sedat liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by soupaman View Post
    It'd be much easier for us WOOF posters to make a decision on these guys future if we heard literally anything about either how they were playing in the scratch matches this year or what areas they needed to improve on. Alas we just have to go off what we can see, which is stuff all.

There is no way we can retain Lynch or Greene. They are both players that have been on the list for 4+ years with about a month of senior football each, and even then they were potentially picked on the basis of "there is no one else to pick". If we haven't deemed them worthy of selection for that long a time period with no sign of improvement behind the scenes then there is absolutely no way we can retain them, even if they do play in a position of need and seemingly have attributes that could be handy.
    The decision to retain the likes of Lynch, Greene and Porter would be more confusing than retaining them.

We never cut into the list deep enough, so I suspect we'll have a couple on the list who realistically won't play next year and will be subsequently delisted a year later. Khamis is a little different but probably falls into a 'nearby' category.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The Bulldogs Bite View Post
    Khamis is a little different but probably falls into a 'nearby' category.
    Yeah he is another where in the absence of any information provided to us I'd be inclined to cut him. We are so keen to give young guys their first taste of football that if they don't come close within two seasons I can't see them making it. Have we had a single player not make the debut in their first two seasons at the club and still go on and be at least serviceable? Even JJ who was as raw as they come managed 3 games in his second season.

I'm not saying cut them if they don't get a game after two seasons, but I do think in that scenario I'd want to see some pretty compelling reasons why they should be retained on the list.

I've said this before but in normal circumstances if we like someone like Khamis but haven't seen him come close to getting a game in two years then cut him but try to use our VFL team to our advantage. Keep him at the club if possible, let him do the whole half pre season thing where they try out for one of those extra spots available in March (like the ones Sydney Stack, Darren Minchington, Keegan Brooksby etc. got picked up in), pick him up then if we are convinced he might play, if not he has until the mid season draft to show the necessary improvement, if not then he has to hope he can show enough to get redrafted the conventional way. It gives us an extra list spot to play around with and find someone, and means a year of watching a player contribute nothing isn't done on the clubs list, effectively making Footscray our feeder team. If we lose him so be it, but I'd much rather we took this approach every now and then than just hand out 4-5 years of AFL contracts to guys that never come close.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mofra View Post
    13 players? Who would we replace them all with? I get list sizes are going to be reduced and we have 3 kids to bring in, but what about the other spots?

Lachie Young is a kid who has shown a fair bit as an intercepting defender, I really don't get the call to delist him. Roarke Smith gets another year given his late season form as a role player. I suspect Hayes stays as well although if we were to pick up a genuine wingman at the trade table (e.g. Phillips) he'd be in trouble.

I'm not sure that picking up 4-5 late speculative picks this draft is the best year for it.
    When do we actually cut into the list? Our list management is poor and it is currently being highlighted.

Lachie Young showed signs in 2019 as a intercept defender. In 2020 he played two games, from memory neither as a defender. There appear to a lot of players ahead of him for the 6th or 7th defender spot.

Will Hayes showed promise also in 2019, but come 2020 he plays two games late in the year. Why wasn't he played when Hunter was missing?

I don't disagree Young and Smith should get another contract, but surely by signing them we are repeating the same mistakes.
    More of an In Bruges guy?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The Bulldogs Bite View Post
    The decision to retain the likes of Lynch, Greene and Porter would be more confusing than retaining them.

We never cut into the list deep enough, so I suspect we'll have a couple on the list who realistically won't play next year and will be subsequently delisted a year later. Khamis is a little different but probably falls into a 'nearby' category.
    You can’t cut too deep or you end up taking players who are the same or worse.
    I’m a fan of Greene I would like him to have another year with hopefully the VFL up and running.
    Bring back the biff

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ledge View Post
    You can’t cut too deep or you end up taking players who are the same or worse.
    How could we possibly put someone on our list who is a worse addition to the list than two guys who in 9 seasons of senior football have combined for 14 games, all coming at the end of 2018 when we had no one else to pick and we were bog average?

If you take out 2018 they have combined for 7 seasons and 0 games, notably none in the last two years despite one being a creative and speedy half forward with a nice kick and the other being a good leading forward who hits the scoreboard, it isn't as if they've been kept out by our gun mids.

We love persisting with these low percentage guys and i can't think of any that have paid off. If we rated them we would have found a way to at least have a look at them in the last two years, like we have with Roarke Smith.

List spots are so valuable, even if you are replacing these guys with delisted players or rookies on 1 year contracts you are a better chance imo of finding someone who can contribute.

19. Thanks GVGjr, azabob thanked for this post