Thanks Thanks:  213
Likes Likes:  888
Page 73 of 122 FirstFirst ... 23636465666768697071727374757677787980818283 ... LastLast
Results 1,081 to 1,095 of 1817
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: List Management for 2020/21

Inside Trading: Dogs hunt Lion in limbo,

BRISBANE free agent Stefan Martin faces a decision on his future as the ruckman weighs interest from the Western Bulldogs.

Martin, who remains without a deal from the Lions as the free agency period draws to a close on Friday, has attracted interest from the Bulldogs who are searching for a ruck partner for Tim English.

The Dogs are looking for an experienced ruck to be alongside of English, having also asked the Hawks about the possibility of trading in Ben McEvoy.

Martin is one of 25 free agents who remain unsigned as the window nears its end
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

2. Likes anfo27 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Replacement for Dunks already!

4. Likes chef liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I'm happy to see this news. This place has been shouting for a mature second ruck to partner with English, looking over at Paddy Ryder and saying "why didn't we do that?" Then we get linked with a mature quality ruckman in a similar position to Ryder at the end of last year and the majority of responses seem to be bemoaning that we haven't either recruited Goldstein or paid overs for a young ruck to compete with English.

We've also apparently caved on Dunkley already (with one person charmingly saying we'd get raped).

I don't mean to tell everyone they need to pretend everything is hunky dory at the club but the regular threads are reading more and more like the game day threads. I think I've read more Dunkley rucking jokes than I've seen him take ruck contests now.

6. Likes SquirrelGrip, Axe Man, jeemak, MrMahatma liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    What year was that?
    At least 2019 or earlier.
    But then again, I'm an Internet poster and Bevo is a premiership coach so draw your own conclusions.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 1eyedog View Post
    At least 2019 or earlier.
    It's from 12 months ago.
    BORDERLINE FLYING

9. Thanks 1eyedog thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I like Martin he's a good option. Sure he would have been good 5 years ago but he can ruck, is a professional so will turn up fit and will break even against good opposition. Solid in.
    But then again, I'm an Internet poster and Bevo is a premiership coach so draw your own conclusions.

Post Thanks / Like

I've not watched any footy this year, so substitute a name if need be.

1. Dunkley for Pick 7 or 8 & Hurley (Essendon pays 1/2 his salary, about $400,000 a season). At least 3 years of footy in him. KPD.
    2. Pick 14 for AMT (Essendon pays $200,000 for two seasons). 27yo and 100 games. Coming into his prime.
    3. Pick 8 to Brisbane for Picks 18 & 19 or Pick 8 & 41 for Adelaide's picks 22, 23 & 30.
    4. Points to cover JUH and MacPherson & Raak if they're on the radar. With JUH at Pick 2 or later. (Twomey thinks Pick 4)
    5. Get in on the Ben Brown trade with Melbourne & North. Young to North, Hannan to Dogs. Pick 26 for Brown.
    6. Seems a fringe or aging ruck is a thing. Say Martin.

Summary: Dunkley & Young - for - AMT, Hurley, Hannan, plus cash, plus more points to take all the Priority Access Kids (KPF, KPD, Mid) without deficit.

List:

Anticipate Libba, Smith, McLean & Lippa can cover Dunkley. Plus West & MacPherson longer term.

Anticipate English more forward plus AMT and Hannan bring something new to the forwardline. Does it allow Naughton, Schache or Bruce to play back if needed.

Anticipate Hurley, Young, Keath & Cordy (Wood & Crozier in the air) with any of the above KPFs can cover things nicely with rebound.

Not having watched any games, does this sound like a strategy to go further in finals against the sides above?

2021: With the first rounder in tact, and hopefully some spare salary cap, aggressively trade next year (&/or free agents).

Turn the losses of Dunkley & Young into a strategy to bring in mature talent in other areas of the ground. Wind up the premiership clock a bit, while elite talent banking for the future.

BUT, if Dodoro doesn't want to win Trade Week (by giving up players we've had recent interest in and a good pick swap) before then Dunkley can stay. But with Daniher & Fantasia's trade value declining from last year's offers, plus Saad walking out among other players. Dodoro to me needs this trade, in part, to keep his job. Essendon seem to be cleaning out dead wood, so Power might want to remind him how to apply for job seeker if he wants to hold out.

To be honest we've been accumulating inside midfielders and HBFs for too long. So players were going to want out for more opportunities or other. So Young & Dunkley forcing us into balancing out the list is something of a good thing if that's what happens. The last time a gun midfielder wanted out, whilst under contract, it forced us into making a bold trade that won a flag. And better yet, we've got a much better negotiator in place now. I read he is annoyed he was rucking and playing forward. So if that's the plan ahead to keep doing it, what we are losing I figure is less. So if we can get a friendly players based deal, we might net more in other needed roles. But don't listen to me, I freely admit I have no idea about where things are at. But I see a scenario where this could give us a great opportunity.
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

Post Thanks / Like

Way to ease yourself back in BT. Good to have you back.
    I should leave it alone but you're not right

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bulldogtragic View Post
    I've not watched any footy this year, so substitute a name if need be.

1. Dunkley for Pick 7 or 8 & Hurley (Essendon pays 1/2 his salary, about $400,000 a season). At least 3 years of footy in him. KPD.
    2. Pick 14 for AMT (Essendon pays $200,000 for two seasons). 27yo and 100 games. Coming into his prime.
    3. Pick 8 to Brisbane for Picks 18 & 19 or Pick 8 & 41 for Adelaide's picks 22, 23 & 30.
    4. Points to cover JUH and MacPherson & Raak if they're on the radar. With JUH at Pick 2 or later. (Twomey thinks Pick 4)
    5. Get in on the Ben Brown trade with Melbourne & North. Young to North, Hannan to Dogs. Pick 26 for Brown.
    6. Seems a fringe or aging ruck is a thing. Say Martin.

Summary: Dunkley & Young - for - AMT, Hurley, Hannan, plus cash, plus more points to take all the Priority Access Kids (KPF, KPD, Mid) without deficit.

List:

Anticipate Libba, Smith, McLean & Lippa can cover Dunkley. Plus West & MacPherson longer term.

Anticipate English more forward plus AMT and Hannan bring something new to the forwardline. Does it allow Naughton, Schache or Bruce to play back if needed.

Anticipate Hurley, Young, Keath & Cordy (Wood & Crozier in the air) with any of the above KPFs can cover things nicely with rebound.

Not having watched any games, does this sound like a strategy to go further in finals against the sides above?

2021: With the first rounder in tact, and hopefully some spare salary cap, aggressively trade next year (&/or free agents).

Turn the losses of Dunkley & Young into a strategy to bring in mature talent in other areas of the ground. Wind up the premiership clock a bit, while elite talent banking for the future.

BUT, if Dodoro doesn't want to win Trade Week (by giving up players we've had recent interest in and a good pick swap) before then Dunkley can stay. But with Daniher & Fantasia's trade value declining from last year's offers, plus Saad walking out among other players. Dodoro to me needs this trade, in part, to keep his job. Essendon seem to be cleaning out dead wood, so Power might want to remind him how to apply for job seeker if he wants to hold out.

To be honest we've been accumulating inside midfielders and HBFs for too long. So players were going to want out for more opportunities or other. So Young & Dunkley forcing us into balancing out the list is something of a good thing if that's what happens. The last time a gun midfielder wanted out, whilst under contract, it forced us into making a bold trade that won a flag. And better yet, we've got a much better negotiator in place now. I read he is annoyed he was rucking and playing forward. So if that's the plan ahead to keep doing it, what we are losing I figure is less. So if we can get a friendly players based deal, we might net more in other needed roles. But don't listen to me, I freely admit I have no idea about where things are at. But I see a scenario where this could give us a great opportunity.
    Make it happen BT.

Post Thanks / Like

It's been a tough, tough year and we are running the risk of losing one of our midfield bulls but with BT back on WOOF I'm going to sleep a bit easier tonight

Great to have to back BT
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

15. Likes bornadog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

BT - fantastic post.

Re: Martin, at 34 its odd but honestly, I'm all for it. We really need a piece of meat in there that we can absolutely flog the crap out of and not be too worried about breaking him.

17. Likes GVGjr liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Welcome back BT. This thread in particular has had far too many short posts, and not enough 10 paragraph deep dives into the worth of pick 46 in a 4-team trade.

I'll be disappointed if the trade we hold out for is Hurley and pick 8.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by SonofScray View Post
    BT - fantastic post.

Re: Martin, at 34 its odd but honestly, I'm all for it. We really need a piece of meat in there that we can absolutely flog the crap out of and not be too worried about breaking him.
    I think it's the price the club might like. I don't know if he spent much time forward, but Tim's marking around the ground and forward might be an X-factor if there's someone else getting smashed in the ruck. Again, maybe the balance of improvements by shuffling players might be an area for rapid growth. Bruce & Naughton are around for the long term with Tim. How did my boy Schache do this year?
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

20. Likes GVGjr liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I like the Martin move. He’s a quality player, and hopefully we get a good year or two out of him. Be really beneficial for English. From what I hear he’s a bit of a strong man too, might still hold some bench press records down at Demonland.

22. Likes GVGjr liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I don't put a lot of faith into having Hurley at our club, he let us down badly when we tried to bring him in 4 years ago and he clearly used us to leverage more money out of Essendon. He's probably still a decent footballer but he's also not the player he was 4 years ago.

Ironically it's Essendon offering more money for Dunks
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

24. Likes 1eyedog liked this post