Thanks Thanks:  213
Likes Likes:  888
Page 74 of 122 FirstFirst ... 24646566676869707172737475767778798081828384 ... LastLast
Results 1,096 to 1,110 of 1817
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: List Management for 2020/21

Quote Originally Posted by jazzadogs View Post
    Welcome back BT. This thread in particular has had far too many short posts, and not enough 10 paragraph deep dives into the worth of pick 46 in a 4-team trade.

I'll be disappointed if the trade we hold out for is Hurley and pick 8.
    But the salary cap is the kicker in my mind. We open up what wasn't spent on Jack Martin, plus this year's delistings, plus Dunkley's wage freed up and a half price Hurley. This cap next year tops up Bontempelli resigning long term and also for a decent free agent or together with our traded first rounder, means that Essendon's covering of salary cap allows us to pursue a very good player next year. Them covering this cap is key to finding extra value in such a trade.m

Plus if we had Brisbane lined up for 8 for 18 & 19. That’s now Dunkley for late first rounders, Hurley & salary cap.
    Last edited by bulldogtragic; 05-11-2020 at 11:41 PM.
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bulldogtragic View Post
    I've not watched any footy this year, so substitute a name if need be.

1. Dunkley for Pick 7 or 8 & Hurley (Essendon pays 1/2 his salary, about $400,000 a season). At least 3 years of footy in him. KPD.
    2. Pick 14 for AMT (Essendon pays $200,000 for two seasons). 27yo and 100 games. Coming into his prime.
    3. Pick 8 to Brisbane for Picks 18 & 19 or Pick 8 & 41 for Adelaide's picks 22, 23 & 30.
    4. Points to cover JUH and MacPherson & Raak if they're on the radar. With JUH at Pick 2 or later. (Twomey thinks Pick 4)
    5. Get in on the Ben Brown trade with Melbourne & North. Young to North, Hannan to Dogs. Pick 26 for Brown.
    6. Seems a fringe or aging ruck is a thing. Say Martin.

Summary: Dunkley & Young - for - AMT, Hurley, Hannan, plus cash, plus more points to take all the Priority Access Kids (KPF, KPD, Mid) without deficit.

List:

Anticipate Libba, Smith, McLean & Lippa can cover Dunkley. Plus West & MacPherson longer term.

Anticipate English more forward plus AMT and Hannan bring something new to the forwardline. Does it allow Naughton, Schache or Bruce to play back if needed.

Anticipate Hurley, Young, Keath & Cordy (Wood & Crozier in the air) with any of the above KPFs can cover things nicely with rebound.

Not having watched any games, does this sound like a strategy to go further in finals against the sides above?

2021: With the first rounder in tact, and hopefully some spare salary cap, aggressively trade next year (&/or free agents).

Turn the losses of Dunkley & Young into a strategy to bring in mature talent in other areas of the ground. Wind up the premiership clock a bit, while elite talent banking for the future.

BUT, if Dodoro doesn't want to win Trade Week (by giving up players we've had recent interest in and a good pick swap) before then Dunkley can stay. But with Daniher & Fantasia's trade value declining from last year's offers, plus Saad walking out among other players. Dodoro to me needs this trade, in part, to keep his job. Essendon seem to be cleaning out dead wood, so Power might want to remind him how to apply for job seeker if he wants to hold out.

To be honest we've been accumulating inside midfielders and HBFs for too long. So players were going to want out for more opportunities or other. So Young & Dunkley forcing us into balancing out the list is something of a good thing if that's what happens. The last time a gun midfielder wanted out, whilst under contract, it forced us into making a bold trade that won a flag. And better yet, we've got a much better negotiator in place now. I read he is annoyed he was rucking and playing forward. So if that's the plan ahead to keep doing it, what we are losing I figure is less. So if we can get a friendly players based deal, we might net more in other needed roles. But don't listen to me, I freely admit I have no idea about where things are at. But I see a scenario where this could give us a great opportunity.

3. Thanks bulldogtragic thanked for this post
    Likes EasternWest, Doc26, jazzadogs liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jazzadogs View Post

I'll be disappointed if the trade we hold out for is Hurley and pick 8.
    Me too.

We should really be pushing for two first rounders (Shiel was worth that with a second rounder going the other way, Dunkley is younger, has shown an ability to play to a higher standard and is contracted).

I would be reluctant to target any Essendon guys, even separately as BT has done with AMT. Dodoro is going to roll them into the Dunkley trade and we have enough of a fight on our hands making sure he doesn't undervalue our player without having to worry about him overvaluing his own. If Dodoro was trading $20 to us for $20 he would rate his as worth $25 and ours as worth $15. I don't want to have to deal with that shit any more than we have to.

Also I do not like Hurley and dont think he is the improvement we need.
    I should leave it alone but you're not right

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post
    I don't put a lot of faith into having Hurley at our club, he let us down badly when we tried to bring him in 4 years ago and he clearly used us to leverage more money out of Essendon. He's probably still a decent footballer but he's also not the player he was 4 years ago.

Ironically it's Essendon offering more money for Dunks
    Hurley missed the boat with us I feel. Not interested in what he has to offer over the next two years. Falling away very quickly and doesn't look like the player I hoped we'd be getting just after the flag.

Post Thanks / Like

I think it's the price the club might like. I don't know if he spent much time forward, but Tim's marking around the ground and forward might be an X-factor if there's someone else getting smashed in the ruck. Again, maybe the balance of improvements by shuffling players might be an area for rapid growth. Bruce & Naughton are around for the long term with Tim. How did my boy Schache do this year?
    Great to have you back - really missed your contribution.

Schache only played a couple of games. Was out of form, plus had several injuries - Concussion, Groin and calf. In a short season didn't help.

Do we really want Hurley?
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

7. Thanks bulldogtragic thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    Great to have you back - really missed your contribution.

Schache only played a couple of games. Was out of form, plus had several injuries - Concussion, Groin and calf. In a short season didn't help.

Do we really want Hurley?
    I went with a player we’ve done due diligence on, a role we won’t have heaps of and was a former AA. I really don’t know to be honest. I watched 15 seconds at the end of the GCS game where Gowers butchered it and then I vowed the season off.
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

Post Thanks / Like

Apparently we've signed Stef Martin according to The Age.

Not my idea of support for Tim, but it's better than nothing I suppose?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The Bulldogs Bite View Post
    Apparently we've signed Stef Martin according to The Age.

Not my idea of support for Tim, but it's better than nothing I suppose?
    Is Sweet still a longer term option, or does this push him out?

Post Thanks / Like

Is Sweet still a longer term option, or does this push him out?
    Who knows - we didn't get a look at Sweet this year.

I suspect he stays on the list but I don't think we rate him. If he couldn't get a game this year when English, at times, played forward while our mids rucked then it's hard to see that changing next year or beyond.

12. Thanks bulldogtragic thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Double.
    Nobody's looking for a puppeteer in today's wintry economic climate.

Post Thanks / Like

I haven’t taken much notice of Hurley over the past couple of years but my Essendon mate would be only too happy to offload him in a Dunkley deal. That suggests to me he’s cooked, fans never want to give away good players.

Post Thanks / Like

Who actually asked if we should chase Martin in the first place anyway?
    Nobody's looking for a puppeteer in today's wintry economic climate.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jeemak View Post
    Who actually asked if we should chase Martin in the first place anyway?
    You putting your hand up for this one too J?

Post Thanks / Like

Make me a Bulldog-Stef Martin is trending all over Twitter.
    They say Burt Lancaster has one, but I don't believe them.

Post Thanks / Like

All I want from Stef is to force English to be physically stronger in the ruck. If he can teach him that, or throw English around in training until he works it out, that'll be enough for me.

19. Likes bornadog, hujsh liked this post