Thanks Thanks:  213
Likes Likes:  888
Page 91 of 122 FirstFirst ... 4181828384858687888990919293949596979899100101 ... LastLast
Results 1,351 to 1,365 of 1817
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: List Management for 2020/21

Quote Originally Posted by The Bulldogs Bite View Post
    Do we have the cap space to realistically do that and the ability to share mid minutes?

If it's yes to the first, the second part can surely only be answered by playing Bont forward. I actually wonder how bad Bont's hip(s) are and if playing forward would help, but that's another question for another thread.
    Regarding the minutes, with McLean a likely out for the year and with a bit of a reshuffle we can probably share the load.
    Regarding the cap, we appear to be giving signals that it's possible. That might depend on either how much Collinwood can contribute and if Treloar considers a restructure of him contract. Apparently 2021 is the lowest of the remaining years
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bulldogtragic View Post
    Sir, I understand that. I do. On the other hand though, it's only had two owners, the last was an old loud mouth gentleman, and it's done mainly Toorak KMs and touring. Plus my manager says if I sell it today, I can throw in a free cut and polish, 50% of next service voucher and new floor mats. So what do you say, let's do some paperwork!
    But should we be shopping for a luxury sedan? I thought we were desperately in need of a ute, a solid 4x4 defensive SUV, and a zippy little hatch.

I suppose we could load up the luxury sedan with all of the crap we really want the ute to be carrying around (ala Dunkley), or throw one of our sedans forward to be a slightly slower version of what we actually need, but wouldn't it just make sense to get a ute or a hatch?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The Adelaide Connection View Post
    But should we be shopping for a luxury sedan? I thought we were desperately in need of a ute, a solid 4x4 defensive SUV, and a zippy little hatch.

I suppose we could load up the luxury sedan with all of the crap we really want the ute to be carrying around (ala Dunkley), or throw one of our sedans forward to be a slightly slower version of what we actually need, but wouldn't it just make sense to get a ute or a hatch?
    Look, dual axel failure is rare. I’ll go talk to my manager and see what we can do. He almost always says no, but I will tell him you’re a ripping guy and see if he can do me a favour. If I can get some more from him, can I tell him you will sign today?
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bulldogtragic View Post
    Look, dual axel failure is rare. I’ll go talk to my manager and see what we can do. He almost always says no, but I will tell him you’re a ripping guy and see if he can do me a favour. If I can get some more from him, can I tell him you will sign today?
    Sure. Pay 250k and a second rounder and show me where to scribble the John Doe.
    But then again, I'm an Internet poster and Bevo is a premiership coach so draw your own conclusions.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 1eyedog View Post
    You pay for what you get mate. And you said he doesn't make us better. Five years is shit but it comes back to my initial question. Want a better chance at a flag now?
    Yes, I want a better chance at a flag now and yes Treloar does that.
    More of an In Bruges guy?

Post Thanks / Like

I still reckon we also chase J Stephenson, not sure why we aren't into him more than we are Treloar.
    "Its always good to win the Ashes test match'' - Libba, AFL Grand Final, 2016

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by azabob View Post
    Yes, I want a better chance at a flag now and yes Treloar does that.
    What about if the size of Treloar's contract means we can't offer Bailey Smith what he deserves in a couple of years, and he leaves?

It's all well and good to say 'only the next two years matters if we win a flag' but it's five years of significant salary cap space that we need to consider. If he didn't have his contract in place, I don't think you would offer him more than three years.

Post Thanks / Like

Treloar isn't going to be the difference in winning a flag in the next 2 years anyway.
    Our 1954 premiership players are our heroes, and it has to be said that Charlie was their hero.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jazzadogs View Post
    What about if the size of Treloar's contract means we can't offer Bailey Smith what he deserves in a couple of years, and he leaves?

It's all well and good to say 'only the next two years matters if we win a flag' but it's five years of significant salary cap space that we need to consider. If he didn't have his contract in place, I don't think you would offer him more than three years.
    There is no question it's a fine line that every club tries to balance and that is why it's so important that clubs be honest with their assessment of where their best opportunities are. It's no good chasing some high priced players if your window is 2 or 3 years away

Hard to know where we are placed because our form line hasn't been convincing but I suspect it could be worth rolling the dice and taking a chance. If we become competitive in finals then the likes of Bailey Smith, Naughton and many other youngsters will all want to stay. If we stay competitive but not really threatening to win the flag players will start looking at other options

Lets not focus on the downsides of this because there is an upside if we were to land him.
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

10. Likes The Bulldogs Bite liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by azabob View Post
    Forget about what we trade for Trelor my concern is his 5 year deal at $900K a year.

That seriously blows up our cap especially for not our most pressing need.

This has trouble in year 4 & 5 written all over it.

JD you have definitely taken me out of context. See above my very first post from last night.

The post you have quoted is in response to 1eyedog about team success.
    More of an In Bruges guy?

Post Thanks / Like

If you get Treloar from 2017-2019 he is exactly what our midfield needs but I don’t really want to lose the grunt Dunkley provides in getting him.

Treloar exits stoppages quickly and peels off the shoulder of his opponent to space really well.

In open play he finds space on the slow play or can get forward of the ball for a releasing handball or 1-2 when it’s a fast transition which really suits what we need. Gives us a completely different look and profile around the ball.

His kicking is more careless than anything it’s not a major technical flaw, guys that play a frenetic style like him rarely have great touch and finesse.

13. Likes azabob, Raw Toast liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Lot of ifs there though. What if Smith and Naughton decided we weren't close enough to contending in 2 years and wanted to go elsewhere? What if English wanted to go home in 2 years? What if Hunter was enticed to chase another flag at Richmond?

Whilst all clubs need to keep an eye on the future, you can only really deal with what's in front of you for the now.

As much as some of us have had a laugh at Collingwood's expense, and their salary cap situation is a little extreme (clearly overpaying NUMEROUS players, even undeserving ones like Stephenson / Cox / Phillips - then there's Beams), they tried to wind up and have a big crack at a flag. They were a couple of points away from it largely being a success. At least they were bold (and a little stupid, clearly).

With some fine tuning, I have no issues with Collingwood's approach and hope we apply a similar aggressive touch.

Post Thanks / Like

Lot of ifs there though. What if Smith and Naughton decided we weren't close enough to contending in 2 years and wanted to go elsewhere?
    What if Smith gets pissed off that he is now shunted to the HFF to accommodate Treloar's midfield time?

To me if we're considering likely scenarios, Treloar is waving multiple red flags for mine based mostly on his contract but a little on his role. We're potentially losing a gun mid now due to lack of midfield minutes, replacing him with a mid who is even less versatile on a $900k x 5 year deal just doesn't seem sensible.
    Western Bulldogs: 2016 Premiers

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mofra View Post
    What if Smith gets pissed off that he is now shunted to the HFF to accommodate Treloar's midfield time?
    That's kind of my point though. We can draw a million what ifs without any substance.

What if we win the flag and Treloar kicks 10 and wins the Norm?

To me if we're considering likely scenarios, Treloar is waving multiple red flags for mine based mostly on his contract but a little on his role. We're potentially losing a gun mid now due to lack of midfield minutes, replacing him with a mid who is even less versatile on a $900k x 5 year deal just doesn't seem sensible.
    Just because Dunkley cracked the sads about mid minutes, it doesn't mean every other player will. We're also not privy to what our plans are for 2021 and I doubt we are into Treloar on the premise that we play Smith purely as a HFFer.

I've been on seat 1A for Treloar but I agree 5 years @ 900K is stupid, so any deal would (surely) need to be predicated on that figure coming down / Collingwood contributing.

17. Likes bornadog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I've been on seat 1A for Treloar but I agree 5 years @ 900K is stupid, so any deal would (surely) need to be predicated on that figure coming down / Collingwood contributing.
    Collingwood are reported to be kicking in $100k, perhaps $150k.

Treloar is a burst mid who missed games due to his hammys this year. He'll be 28 at the start of next year and potentially our second highest paid player, at least in the top handful. A 31, 32 year old burst mid with hamstring issues doesn't scream $900k pa to me.

I just think if we are going to trade in a $900k x 5 player we'd want an A grader in a position of need. I don't see midfield as a position of need. There will be likely be very good FAs available for less than that next year.
    Western Bulldogs: 2016 Premiers

19. Likes soupman liked this post