Thanks Thanks:  213
Likes Likes:  888
Page 82 of 122 FirstFirst ... 32727374757677787980818283848586878889909192 ... LastLast
Results 1,216 to 1,230 of 1817
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: List Management for 2020/21

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    We would want to negotiate that right down with Collingwood. Calwell is unproven, Treloar has runs on the board.
    Caldwell has had 2 seasons in the AFL so I'm not sure he is unproven as there is a fair bit to measure him against. Lets face it his best football should still be in front of him.
    The reports a couple of years back is that we were bit interested in him so perhaps that hasn't diminished

As for Treloar, the general thoughts are that teams might be able to push Collingwood into a maximum of 150K a season for a couple of years but I suspect they would come at 200K for 2 years if it was a good pick in exchange

I'd still prefer to keep Dunkley and give him a bit of a pay bump in good faith
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

2. Likes Ghost Dog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post
    Caldwell has had 2 seasons in the AFL so I'm not sure he is unproven as there is a fair bit to measure him against.
    He has played 11 games and averaging 12 disposals. He may be a good prospect, but has along way to go.

Is he the type of player we need to fill in a gap?
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

4. Likes The Bulldogs Bite liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    He has played 11 games and averaging 12 disposals. He may be a good prospect, but has along way to go.

Is he the type of player we need to fill in a gap?
    He's an emerging midfielder with his best footballer in front of him and we could probably be able to play him as much in the midfield as we did Dunkley this year. He has pace which is a gap in our list

Post Thanks / Like

So with just a few days to go will any of our players be traded? We know Dunks is in the mix and I'm not sure what the status is of Lachlan Young but what about any others?

Could there be some interest in Ed Richards, Josh Schache, Lewis Young or Bailey Dale?

Post Thanks / Like

So with just a few days to go will any of our players be traded? We know Dunks is in the mix and I'm not sure what the status is of Lachlan Young but what about any others?

Could there be some interest in Ed Richards, Josh Schache, Lewis Young or Bailey Dale?
    I’ll honestly be shocked if Schache doesn’t end up at Collingwood, Hawthorn, Essendon or North.
    Lew Young would be a great pick up for Hawthorn, North or Adelaide.
    There is obviously no future in these guys playing for the Dogs, so why keep them?
    I will never see #16 the same!!

Post Thanks / Like

Hard to know what the market will be for any of those players you’ve mentioned GVG. A lot of it depends on role / circumstance but I look at a side like WCE and think Dale could be handy as a full time medium forward with them, and potentially with a side like Port too. Ready to go, plays a role and will be more effective full time forward in a side that moves the ball quickly and / or delivers well.

Schache another interesting one. Hard to see him getting a regular game next season behind Naughton, Bruce and potentially JUH, along with English if he spends more time forward and the enigma that’s becoming Lew Young. Has talent but not the tenacity. Would probably do ok if he was 3 inches shorter and more readily able to play as a flanker. That being said, maybe it clicks and a side gets 2-3 good years out of him. That’s sometimes all you need from tall role player types to go from being as aspirant to a genuine contender.

9. Likes GVGjr, Ghost Dog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Go_Dogs View Post
    Hard to know what the market will be for any of those players you’ve mentioned GVG. A lot of it depends on role / circumstance but I look at a side like WCE and think Dale could be handy as a full time medium forward with them, and potentially with a side like Port too. Ready to go, plays a role and will be more effective full time forward in a side that moves the ball quickly and / or delivers well.

Schache another interesting one. Hard to see him getting a regular game next season behind Naughton, Bruce and potentially JUH, along with English if he spends more time forward and the enigma that’s becoming Lew Young. Has talent but not the tenacity. Would probably do ok if he was 3 inches shorter and more readily able to play as a flanker. That being said, maybe it clicks and a side gets 2-3 good years out of him. That’s sometimes all you need from tall role player types to go from being as aspirant to a genuine contender.
    Pretty sad about Josh Schache if he goes, probably our most reliable kick in front of goal as far as our talls go.
    Bring back the biff

11. Likes SonofScray liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ledge View Post
    Pretty sad about Josh Schache if he goes, probably our most reliable kick in front of goal as far as our talls go.
    Sad is too mild a description. I’m disgusted with the way he has been treated since he came to the Dogs. And then look at.......

13. Likes Bullies, SonofScray liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Go_Dogs View Post

Josh has always been just a little laconic but is it fixable? I honestly didn't think he would succeed when I first saw him play.
    You don't develop courage by being happy in your relationships every day. You develop it by surviving difficult times and challenging adversity. ― Epicurus

Post Thanks / Like

He's an emerging midfielder with his best footballer in front of him and we could probably be able to play him as much in the midfield as we did Dunkley this year. He has pace which is a gap in our list
    Caldwell has done nothing. Why would we pay him 500K as is reported? Might as well either hold Dunkley to his contract OR go for the better and proven elite talent in Treloar.

Anyone taking Caldwell is hoping he gets to a level near Treloar. So far he's nowhere near it.

I get the sentiment with ATs contract but I'd rather pay him 700k than Caldwell 500k.

16. Likes bornadog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ghost Dog View Post
    Josh has always been just a little laconic but is it fixable? I honestly didn't think he would succeed when I first saw him play.
    I think he hasn't got the fight in him to be a proper forward. I know Danjul has been pretty keen on him there with a lot of stats, but I really think best case scenario is a Josh Jenkins type who plays well when the team is but goes quiet when he is needed and in the big games. Maybe thats enough, I mean not every player has to be a matchwinner and having someone who can help capitalise on your teams ascendancy is a good thing but I've been really optimistic with Schache and it's been mostly to my dissapointment.

I do however think there is merit in trying him down back. It worked for Liam Jones (who tbf approached contests very differently to Schache but had some severe weaknesses that Josh doesn't share) who is pretty good now, and I can't see Schache being any less physical than Gardner. Even Cordy I have queries on long term so if Schache can show with an extended run of form there an ability to impact the game with his height, mobility and footskills coming out of defence it's certainly worth a shot. I mean physically having a 200cm key defender would be handy considering the rise of the Kings amongst others (I'm not sure there are others but roll with it).
    I should leave it alone but you're not right

18. Likes Dry Rot liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Trading is about getting players on the upswing, not paying big dollars for past performance and getting the worst of it. I'd take Caldwell on 500k before I'd take Treloar on 700+
    Our 1954 premiership players are our heroes, and it has to be said that Charlie was their hero.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by comrade View Post
    Trading is about getting players on the upswing, not paying big dollars for past performance and getting the worst of it. I'd take Caldwell on 500k before I'd take Treloar on 700+
    Paying 500K for an unproven mid is desperate IMO. If the mid was Rowell, sure, but Caldwell has shown very little. I'd prefer we trade for proven talent, not for a player we hope becomes good.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The Bulldogs Bite View Post
    Paying 500K for an unproven mid is desperate IMO. If the mid was Rowell, sure, but Caldwell has shown very little. I'd prefer we trade for proven talent, not for a player we hope becomes good.
    500k probably is a stretch, but IF he turns into the gun he's supposed to (given his draft position, the hype around him from GWS teammates), it'll be unders within a few years (and then he'll ask for a trade to Essendon with 2 years left on his deal because he wants to be the 'main man'...)
    Our 1954 premiership players are our heroes, and it has to be said that Charlie was their hero.

22. Likes Twodogs liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by comrade View Post
    500k probably is a stretch, but IF he turns into the gun he's supposed to (given his draft position, the hype around him from GWS teammates), it'll be unders within a few years (and then he'll ask for a trade to Essendon with 2 years left on his deal because he wants to be the 'main man'...)
    500K is Sam McClure speculation, it might be a lot lower than that. I wouldn't pay that for him and would rather give Dunkley the pay bump but I don't accept he is unproven. He is looking for more opportunities to play senior football