Thanks Thanks:  213
Likes Likes:  888
Page 10 of 122 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415161718192060110 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: List Management for 2020/21

Quote Originally Posted by dog town View Post
    Just picking up a ruck for the sake of it would be insanity. Any experienced addition in ruck stocks needs to fit in with the way we play and needs to actually add something apart from being a tall. Anyone we get needs to either be elite at getting first hands on the ball or give something else elite around the ground. Just plonking in an average ruck because he is tall is like playing a tall forward who can’t mark the ball, all it does is slow you down. Put me in the camp of getting creative and trying to establish a mobility advantage if we can’t get the right player.

We also need to consider the flexibility of any ruck option we get. English needs games so to me it means if we spend money, picks or a player to get quality in they must be able to play forward to have the ability to operate in tandem.
    I agree with the principle of what you are saying and there is the added challenge of if we would play 2 ruckman in the same team.
    We do however need some depth and if Bevo doesn't believe Sweet is ready we need to find someone else.
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by comrade View Post
    There is no doubt he can more than match it versus the second/third tier type ruckmen in the competition (Essendon's Phillips for example whe he completely dominated and Hickey fits into this bucket) but I prefer not to measure him against them.

What I care about are his performances against top 8 sides. He was destroyed by Grundy, the Saints guys worked him over completely, big O gave him a bath against Brisbane etc.
    Oh most definitely but thats just of his progression. We are talking about a ruckman that is about to reach his 50th game and is 23.

He has a long way to go and I'm just enjoying watching him continue to improve.

Really looking forward to watch him vs Ceglar who also got completely worked over by the Saints duo.

3. Likes bornadog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post
    40 would a reasonable outcome. I think must clubs would reduce their lists by 10 players

Let's assume 40, which means we need to get to 37 if we want to recruit fresh draftees - so that is 8 gone.

My Delist/Retire would be:

• Dickson, Tory
    • Gowers, Billy
    • Greene, Fergus
    • Khamis, Buku R
    • Lynch, Bradley
    • Porter, Callum
    • Suckling, Matthew
    • Hayes, Will or Cavarra, Ben
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    Let's assume 40, which means we need to get to 37 if we want to recruit fresh draftees - so that is 8 gone.

• Dickson, Tory
    • Gowers, Billy
    • Greene, Fergus
    • Khamis, Buku R
    • Lynch, Bradley
    • Porter, Callum
    • Suckling, Matthew
    Not much point retaining Trengove if he's not going to play.

Post Thanks / Like

We do however need some depth and if Bevo doesn't believe Sweet is ready we need to find someone else.
    The challenge is finding a player who Bevo believes in.

I can't help but think we need to find ourselves a player who has capacity to play in another position first - their is simply no value in us recruiter another Tom Campbell "type" (Preuss, Pittonet) because he will not select them. I still think our only hope is to find Tim English#2 and roll them between forward and the ruck - at one stage I thought Young was going to be that player but something has clearly happened there...
    What should I tell her? She's going to ask.

7. Likes dog town liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mjp View Post
    The challenge is finding a player who Bevo believes in.

I can't help but think we need to find ourselves a player who has capacity to play in another position first - their is simply no value in us recruiter another Tom Campbell "type" (Preuss, Pittonet) because he will not select them. I still think our only hope is to find Tim English#2 and roll them between forward and the ruck - at one stage I thought Young was going to be that player but something has clearly happened there...
    That is the challenge and I agree that the players you listed don't suit what the MC would like.
    I think Bevo would prefer just one or two ruckman on the list supported by one or two hybrid types. Trengove should have been a good fit for us, Roughead as well but I'd guess the requirement is the players must also be mobile.
    Schache has the mobility but is clearly not preferred and I doubt he will be added to the Naughton and Bruce combo up forward.

A Kreuzer type might suit for a season or two. A player like Casboult's who has the ability to take a mark up forward and ruck for 5 to 7 minutes per quarter would possibly suit but with key 2 key forwards locked I can't see us doing much more than looking for fill ins.
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Axe Man View Post
    Not much point retaining Trengove if he's not going to play.
    I thought of that, but for me the list is what I would do.

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

• Dickson, Tory
    • Gowers, Billy
    • Greene, Fergus
    • Khamis, Buku R
    • Lynch, Bradley
    • Porter, Callum
    • Suckling, Matthew
    I agree with most of your list Bornadog, but I’d add Trengove and possibly Lew Young on the list. MC won’t play them, so why have them on the list? I certainly don’t want Lew Young to go, but I’ve got a feeling he will be traded.

So, Greene and Hayes to stay
    Trengove and Lew Young to go (unfortunately)
    I will never see #16 the same!!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DOG GOD View Post
    I agree with most of your list Bornadog, but I’d add Trengove and possibly Lew Young on the list. MC won’t play them, so why have them on the list? I certainly don’t want Lew Young to go, but I’ve got a feeling he will be traded.

So, Greene and Hayes to stay
    Trengove and Lew Young to go (unfortunately)
    We would be crazy to get rid of a 21 year old 197cm mobile player. Trengove will be 30 in November and is out of contract, so that is a possibility.

Post Thanks / Like

We would be crazy to get rid of a 21 year old 197cm mobile player. Trengove will be 30 in November and is out of contract, so that is a possibility.
    I agree 100% but there HAS to be a reason why he hasn’t been played, in a compromised year. I literally can’t get my head around it. It would be stupidity, but there’s gotta be more to it than just scratch match form.
    I will never see #16 the same!!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DOG GOD View Post
    I agree 100% but there HAS to be a reason why he hasn’t been played, in a compromised year. I literally can’t get my head around it. It would be stupidity, but there’s gotta be more to it than just scratch match form.
    It certainly is a mystery.

Post Thanks / Like

Read that Quinten Narkle is potentially open to a trade.

I haven't seen a whole heap of him, but what I've seen I've liked. I'd enquire.

Post Thanks / Like

Wood has apparently agreed a 2 year deal. Surprised personally given age and his dodgy hammies.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by FrediKanoute View Post
    Wood has apparently agreed a 2 year deal. Surprised personally given age and his dodgy hammies.
    I'm not too happy with a 2 year deal for Wood, one? Yep, two is overkill..
    "Its always good to win the Ashes test match'' - Libba, AFL Grand Final, 2016

Post Thanks / Like

I think Bevo would prefer just one or two ruckman on the list supported by one or two hybrid types. Trengove should have been a good fit for us, Roughead as well but I'd guess the requirement is the players must also be mobile.
    ...and would have I guess if he could have played forward. Isn't it funny how you recruit a player who has been an OK key defender / OK ruckman at AFL level and try to play him as a ruckman forward it is not a success.

I was thinking about this the other day with specific regard to the Easton Wood as a forward experiment...I wonder if it might have been more of a success if he had been inside 50m with even one other player who had some idea what he was doing - I swear I remember a game where he and Trengove were in the goal-square together (forward gs) and, well, the outcome was not great!!!
    What should I tell her? She's going to ask.